What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
rfelthoven

#151 Post by rfelthoven » October 28th, 2017, 3:16 pm

2007 Martello Whistling Ridge Pinot. Drank over two nights and was more expressive on day 2. Bricking and showing some secondary character. Bright acidity and intensity, more savory than sweet. Exactly what I crave in Oregon Pinot. These were never terribly fruit forward so the lack of juicy fruit doesn’t concern me too much. Drink over the next 5 years.
Ron

Michael Davidson

#152 Post by Michael Davidson » October 29th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Thanks, Ron. I did succumb to a 14 Close Electrique this weekend, but that's for another thread. (No regrets, though. Stunning.)

Michael

rfelthoven

#153 Post by rfelthoven » October 30th, 2017, 9:28 am

Michael Davidson wrote:Thanks, Ron. I did succumb to a 14 Close Electrique this weekend, but that's for another thread. (No regrets, though. Stunning.)

Michael
I'm hoping that was the blanc?
Ron

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#154 Post by Mike Maguire » October 30th, 2017, 11:32 am

I was looking forward to trying the Goodfellow/Martello lineup when we are in McMinnville in a couple weeks but it looks like they are closed when we are there.I am sure it is available in town, I was interested in trying the willamette Pinot. Vinappolis has a very good price on it now so maybe I will swing by on the way thru and pick one up.

briangl

#155 Post by briangl » October 30th, 2017, 9:06 pm

I really enjoyed the 2012 Matello Souris I had last week. A bit tight when popped but it really opened up with some air.

Michael Davidson

#156 Post by Michael Davidson » October 31st, 2017, 2:47 pm

rfelthoven wrote:
Michael Davidson wrote:Thanks, Ron. I did succumb to a 14 Close Electrique this weekend, but that's for another thread. (No regrets, though. Stunning.)
I'm hoping that was the blanc?
It was the rouge! YOLO!

Michael

rfelthoven

#157 Post by rfelthoven » November 13th, 2017, 2:26 pm

Popped a 2013 Goodfellow WV pinot alongside a 2015 version of the same. Marcus's signature style is on display here, with relatively light color and serious intensity, but I found the 13 more to my liking. The wine is more savory with more herbal notes and less ripe red fruit on the palate. Yet another reminder of what a sleeper vintage 2013 is in Oregon. For those who love acid driven wines, 2013 is a top year for Goodfellow, kind of like 2011 but with a little more stuffing. I would backfill on Goodfellow pinot from 2013 if you're okay being patient and into that kind of wine style. I found some good pricing online.
Ron

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#158 Post by Richard T r i m p i » November 13th, 2017, 3:00 pm

Agreed Ron. I'm much more of a 2013 fan than I expected...but most still need nap time. Didn't buy enough WV!

RT

rfelthoven

#159 Post by rfelthoven » November 15th, 2017, 8:05 am

Richard T r i m p i wrote:Agreed Ron. I'm much more of a 2013 fan than I expected...but most still need nap time. Didn't buy enough WV!

RT
Sec has 2013 Matello WV for $17.89. No tax :)

That's a steal for that wine.

edit: there is now one less case left. If you're into bright, red fruited wine and super high acidity and have been jones-ing for it in 2014, 2015, and 2016, this is a great cellar defender.
Ron

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#160 Post by Sean_S » November 28th, 2017, 11:15 pm

Hooked....

I just bought a mixed case+ of 13,14,15 WV Pinot. Drinking the '15 right now and its starting to open. I will post some more tasting notes later from CT.

2 X 16 Whistling Ridge white enjoyed on thanksgiving for dessert. Yum!

Accidently opened a '15 Whistling Ridge Pinoit Noir - and that was unfortunate. Seriously wound up tight, tart cherry burgundian style pinot. Serious tannins. Long complex finish. Needs 5-15 years.... By Day 3 it was starting to sing a little.

I went from never had a Goodfellow and then scoring some local bottles to 3+ cases in my cellar in last 2 months. Thanks y'all..

Another plus I discovered are Liner and Elsen, Sec, Vinopolis, Wines Between. They don't charge sales tax for CA so that helps mitigate shipping costs which are quite reasonable to CA. Especially Vinopolis with flat rate $25 shipping. Last order from Vinopolis picked up some more Baudry and Thivin as well.

Sean
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Summit Rd, Redwood Estates, CA

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#161 Post by dsGriswold » November 29th, 2017, 12:08 am

Sean, you might as well try, Avalon Wine and spread the wealth around a bit. They are just down the street from me, not a big buyer yet though that can change in a heart beat. A lot of wine shops in my area grabbing for my wallet. [wow.gif]
DennisG

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#162 Post by Sean_S » November 29th, 2017, 1:43 pm

been looking there as well. They just didn't what I was looking for when I was looking for it. My other gripe is that there website is hard to shop. They list too much out of stock stuff and you have to click to detail to see whether its in stock or not.

But yes they are on the radar.

Sean

J.Durham

#163 Post by J.Durham » December 4th, 2017, 6:58 pm

• 2015 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Durant Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (12/4/2017)
    Wow. The most accessible young wine I’ve had from Goodfellow/Matello. Really nice aromatics of black cherry, cinnamon, and mushroom. Palate has incredible intensity and lift, but surprisingly accessible. Great finish. More forward than expected, showing the vintage, but balanced and nuanced. Can be drunk now but should have the stuffing to age well. (93 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

Opened this sorta by accident. Very pleasantly surprised. Should have bought more.
-Josh

rfelthoven

#164 Post by rfelthoven » December 4th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Good call on the Durant. Marcus has said that of all his SVDs that is most precocious.
Ron

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#165 Post by dsGriswold » December 6th, 2017, 10:53 pm

New Seasons has the Matello '14 WV PN for $15, I may just have to buy a few even though I need no more wine. [wow.gif]
I will tell my daughter and have her buy some which is even a better idea! [snort.gif]
DennisG

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#166 Post by Scott Tallman » February 6th, 2018, 1:19 pm

For those wondering when to pop bottles of Matello/Goodfellow, check out Marcus’ vintage recaps and drinking recommendations on the Goodfellow website. Great addition!

https://goodfellowfamilycellars.com/vintages/
Last edited by Scott Tallman on February 7th, 2018, 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#167 Post by dsGriswold » February 6th, 2018, 11:18 pm

Gee, I need to undrink all those already consumed with great satisfaction. Oh well, Todd is just down the road. [cheers.gif]
DennisG

Marcus Goodfellow

#168 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » February 7th, 2018, 3:39 pm

Gee Dennis...no need to un-drink anything. I am pretty sure I have a case here at the winery with your name on it from Berserker Day!

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#169 Post by dsGriswold » February 7th, 2018, 6:09 pm

The weather is looking good for a drive out that way. Now if I can just remember what I bought. rolleyes Vincent has a couple cases waiting for me somewhere and Todd usually has a few things he wants to unload for next to nothing with a bit of age on them. [cheers.gif]
DennisG

rfelthoven

#170 Post by rfelthoven » February 8th, 2018, 11:40 am

Scott Tallman wrote:For those wondering when to pop bottles of Matello/Goodfellow, check out Marcus’ vintage recaps and drinking recommendations on the Goodfellow website. Great addition!

I agree -- thanks Marcus. I found it funny that Marcus isn't even remotely pushing consumption (and thus, sales) of most of his wines in his recommendations. It's like "wait on this, hold that...". The dude is a true wine geek.
Ron

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#171 Post by Scott Tallman » February 8th, 2018, 11:42 am

rfelthoven wrote:
Scott Tallman wrote:For those wondering when to pop bottles of Matello/Goodfellow, check out Marcus’ vintage recaps and drinking recommendations on the Goodfellow website. Great addition!

I agree -- thanks Marcus. I found it funny that Marcus isn't even remotely pushing consumption (and thus, sales) of most of his wines in his recommendations. It's like "wait on this, hold that...". The dude is a true wine geek.
Agreed! But he did note you can drink some of the whites from the aughts!
CT - WestbyGod

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#172 Post by Scott Tallman » March 20th, 2018, 2:41 pm

Last night in Seattle, Marcus and fellow Seattle Berserkers Travis Allen, Michael Davidson and Ron Felthoven (plus my intrepid wife) had a great tasting of Marcus’ wines at Matt’s in the Market.

I’m always terrible at taking notes and the evening was fun so just my impressions. TL/DR - keep sitting on the reds, no matter how ready you may think they are. All these wines tasted so fresh and young with years ahead of them

2005 Souris - my WOTY and still thinking about it today. Everything was in its right place.

2005 Hommage - a nice contrast to the Souris that shows Marcus’ deft touch with a Vineyard that in most other hands (save Kelley Fox) is too dark and brooding for my tastes. Not that he needs more Vineyard sources, but I would be thrilled to see Marcus make wine from Momtazi in the future. Or find more bottles of this!

2007 Whistling Ridge Pinot - preferred this to the 2008, which I’ll chalk up to the vintage differences. Drinking very well now, but I’ll hold my sole bottle for at least another year.

2008 Whistling Ridge Pinot - this reminded me of the 2008s I’ve tried recently - very good, but not sure if this is as good as this much hyped vintage will be or if there is another gear if willing to exercise more patience.

2008 Fool’s Journey Syrah/Viognier (magnum) - even though I’ve had this before, forgot this has 17% Viognier! Still drinking very well and such a graceful, lovely take on Syrah that I’ve yet to find in other New World Syrahs.

Started out with delicious Champagne (not sure of producer) and ended the evening with a super interesting 1998 Nigl Riesling courtesy of Mr. Allen.

Great night all around. Thanks Marcus and my fellow Seattle Berserkers!
CT - WestbyGod

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member

#173 Post by Adam Noble » March 20th, 2018, 7:04 pm

Thanks for the notes, Scott. Next time...

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#174 Post by Sean_S » March 20th, 2018, 11:31 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:Last night in Seattle, Marcus and fellow Seattle Berserkers Travis Allen, Michael Davidson and Ron Felthoven (plus my intrepid wife) had a great tasting of Marcus’ wines at Matt’s in the Market.

I’m always terrible at taking notes and the evening was fun so just my impressions. TL/DR - keep sitting on the reds, no matter how ready you may think they are. All these wines tasted so fresh and young with years ahead of them

2005 Souris - my WOTY and still thinking about it today. Everything was in its right place.

2005 Hommage - a nice contrast to the Souris that shows Marcus’ deft touch with a Vineyard that in most other hands (save Kelley Fox) is too dark and brooding for my tastes. Not that he needs more Vineyard sources, but I would be thrilled to see Marcus make wine from Momtazi in the future. Or find more bottles of this!

2007 Whistling Ridge Pinot - preferred this to the 2008, which I’ll chalk up to the vintage differences. Drinking very well now, but I’ll hold my sole bottle for at least another year.

2008 Whistling Ridge Pinot - this reminded me of the 2008s I’ve tried recently - very good, but not sure if this is as good as this much hyped vintage will be or if there is another gear if willing to exercise more patience.

2008 Fool’s Journey Syrah/Viognier (magnum) - even though I’ve had this before, forgot this has 17% Viognier! Still drinking very well and such a graceful, lovely take on Syrah that I’ve yet to find in other New World Syrahs.

Started out with delicious Champagne (not sure of producer) and ended the evening with a super interesting 1998 Nigl Riesling courtesy of Mr. Allen.

Great night all around. Thanks Marcus and my fellow Seattle Berserkers!
Sounds like a great small intimate dinner. I know every berserker offline I've been too has been pretty much over the top awesome sauce. Very Jealous of the old Whistling Ridges. I've only had the young version and can't imagine what they taste like with 10 years. Actually I can and its got me drooling.

Going to visit Visit the Marcus in McMinville next month on my birthday WV wine adventure :)

Michael Davidson

#175 Post by Michael Davidson » March 21st, 2018, 8:17 pm

Thanks for the notes, Scott! I think the champagne was an NV Bereche.

I too wasn't writing thoughts, but the 2005 Souris was, for me, in a class of its own. A complete wine. I thought it managed the warmth of the vintage a bit better than the Hommage. I enjoyed the 2008 Whistling Ridge a bit more than the 2007, but perhaps it was just its place in the lineup.

Great to meet some folks in real life.

Michael

rfelthoven

#176 Post by rfelthoven » March 22nd, 2018, 9:20 am

Scott pretty much nailed it so I don't have too much to add on the one, other than I did like the 2008 WR just a tad more than the 2007 WR in that it seemed slightly more complex to me.

Everyone was super nice, humble, etc. If you live in the area and have shied away from offlines, you should definitely give it a shot of you see Michael, Scott or Travis in the mix. Solid guys. Thanks Marcus for your generosity!
Ron

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#177 Post by Sean_S » April 17th, 2018, 10:34 pm

Drinking a 2015 Durant Chardonnay at the noment. Yum but young.....

Just saw Marcus released the 2016 WV Chardonnay and Avalon has it. Avalon says only 200 cases so I imagine this wont last long. My order is in.

https://northwest-wine.com/collections/ ... 4794152205.

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#178 Post by Sean_S » May 27th, 2018, 10:33 am

• 2011 Matello Pinot Noir Souris - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/26/2018)
    A lot tight when opened and immediately after double decant. Coudn't decide if it was flawed. Let it open for 6 hours after double decant. Nose of black fruit started to appear. Tart cherry, earth and and tannins. Med long finish dancing between the acidic fruit and tannin. Would have guessed Burgundy blind. Doesn't remind me of domestic Pinot at all. My somm friend and I enjoyed the bottle tremendously. Incredible QPR. Glad I have a few more left.... (92 pts.)
  • 2013 Matello Fool's Journey Deux Vert - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (5/27/2018)
    Double decanted in morning served at Afternoon Luau. Immense perfume on the Nose. The viongne rounds this wine out beautifully. This is light style for Syrah at 12.8% ABV. The palate starts with lovely fruit and some pepper followed by some acid on the mid palate and a med long silky finish. This wine is still young and primary and drinking incredible. First wine gone at a party. Crowd loved it. Wine Geeks did not guess Syrah and I dont think I would have either. The signature peppery note is soft and woven nicely into the Wine. Impressive Stuff...... (92 pts.)

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#179 Post by Sean_S » June 9th, 2018, 6:03 pm

• 2016 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (6/9/2018)
    Med Pale in color, med in body. Got some reduction when first opened, and then sea shells, light citrus, and fresh air. On the palate I get Med+ acidity and fruit up front, then some richness on the mid palate from the malo and barrel. Its got a long lingering finish. Tart citrus bouncing back and forth with the oak and the richness. The acid on this wine is on the palate front to back. Somehow its not overpowering yet omnipresent. Ridiculously good QPR for a very tasty chardonnay. (Tasted side by side with a Twill 2016 WV Chardonnay, also amazing!) POBEGA'D from the Fed-Ex guy, sampled over 2 days. How is this wines $20?

13.2 ABV, Only 226 cases. Blend of Durant and Whistling Ridge Vineyards. DIAM 3 cork. (A++ for putting DIAM on every wine in the lineup from the Whistling Ridge white to the SVD Heritage reserves). (93 pts.)

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#180 Post by Sean_S » June 9th, 2018, 6:30 pm

Good fellows indeed....
Dual Chardonnays.JPG
Dual Chardonnays.JPG (28.46 KiB) Viewed 724 times
Sean

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#181 Post by Sean_S » July 1st, 2018, 8:30 pm

2016 WV Chardonnay. Wow! Hard to beleive its $20

Sean

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member

#182 Post by Adam Noble » July 1st, 2018, 9:16 pm

I had the 2011 Matello Spirits 2 days ago also and agree with your note. My wife and I loved it.

Scott Wi3gand
GCC Member
GCC Member

#183 Post by Scott Wi3gand » July 1st, 2018, 10:55 pm

First ever Coravin experience and I chose the 2016 Goodfellow WV Chardonnay for my test run. Maybe it’s the argon speaking but this might be the best value for a fantastic Chardonnay out there. I love the lightness and balance with that hint of flinty/matchstick action. I am going to load up on this the next chance I get.

Richard Malloy

#184 Post by Richard Malloy » July 3rd, 2018, 7:33 am

My wife and I have a last minute opportunity to travel to Oregon this weekend and we are really hoping to (finally!) taste Marcus’ wines!

Unfortunately Sunday is the only day we were able to carve out for McMinnville. We have a request in for an appointment, but given the day of week and our last minute plans we suspect that may be a tough ask.

I’ve been reading about the wines for years here and elsewhere and would be so bummed to return to Boston without tasting some (and preferably lots!). Any recommendations for places that serve Goodfellow/Matello, in McMinn or Portland, and also any retail options? Really hoping for a visit, but need some backup plans just in case!

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#185 Post by Joe Chanley » July 3rd, 2018, 9:10 am

We had a goodfellow Durant Pn at Imperial last summer....solid meal too.

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#186 Post by Sean_S » July 3rd, 2018, 9:51 am

Goodfellow Chadonnay was on tap at heater allen brewery when I was in 2 months ago. I'm sure Valley Wine Merchants and others have em for sale. The locals will know more than I.....

Sean

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#187 Post by Rick Allen » July 3rd, 2018, 10:02 am

Sean_S wrote:Goodfellow Chadonnay was on tap at heater allen brewery when I was in 2 months ago. I'm sure Valley Wine Merchants and others have em for sale. The locals will know more than I.....

Sean
The 2016 is almost gone - probably have it on for another week or two. We will replacing it with your first chance to try the 2017 Goodfellow Chardonnay!

Richard Malloy

#188 Post by Richard Malloy » July 3rd, 2018, 11:45 am

Is Heater Allen open Sunday? I thought not, but if so we’ll definitely be there for the brew, Goodfellow or no!

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#189 Post by PeterH » July 3rd, 2018, 12:02 pm

Sean_S wrote:2016 WV Chardonnay. Wow! Hard to beleive its $20

Sean
We had the 2014 WV Chardonnay a couple of nights ago, and it was in fine form. Much more to my liking, though, was the Whistling Ridge White, a much more complex wine. I don't see it listed on the Goodfellow site currently, but it looks like Vinopolis may have it in stock.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#190 Post by Rick Allen » July 3rd, 2018, 1:06 pm

Richard Malloy wrote:Is Heater Allen open Sunday? I thought not, but if so we’ll definitely be there for the brew, Goodfellow or no!
We're not open Sunday (yet) unless you call (or email) and make an appointment.

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#191 Post by Sean_S » July 3rd, 2018, 2:07 pm

PeterH wrote:
Sean_S wrote:2016 WV Chardonnay. Wow! Hard to beleive its $20

Sean
We had the 2014 WV Chardonnay a couple of nights ago, and it was in fine form. Much more to my liking, though, was the Whistling Ridge White, a much more complex wine. I don't see it listed on the Goodfellow site currently, but it looks like Vinopolis may have it in stock.

Its one of those wines that was still branded Matello and even the last bottles I have are still branded Matello. Pretty sure Marcus, Vinopolis, Avalon, etc still have it in stock.

The 14 WV was good but this 16 is lighter and more elegant. Reminds me of the Richard's Cuvee more than the Durant chardonnay.

We are big fans of the crack at my house too.....

Sean

Richard Malloy

#192 Post by Richard Malloy » July 3rd, 2018, 2:43 pm

Rick Allen wrote:
Richard Malloy wrote:Is Heater Allen open Sunday? I thought not, but if so we’ll definitely be there for the brew, Goodfellow or no!
We're not open Sunday (yet) unless you call (or email) and make an appointment.
Thanks, Rick - responding to an email from Lisa now!

Edit: thanks so much for accommodating us at such late notice, Rick!
Last edited by Richard Malloy on July 3rd, 2018, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J e s s e C

#193 Post by J e s s e C » July 3rd, 2018, 3:18 pm

Sean_S wrote:
  • 2016 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (6/9/2018)
    Med Pale in color, med in body. Got some reduction when first opened, and then sea shells, light citrus, and fresh air. On the palate I get Med+ acidity and fruit up front, then some richness on the mid palate from the malo and barrel. Its got a long lingering finish. Tart citrus bouncing back and forth with the oak and the richness. The acid on this wine is on the palate front to back. Somehow its not overpowering yet omnipresent. Ridiculously good QPR for a very tasty chardonnay. (Tasted side by side with a Twill 2016 WV Chardonnay, also amazing!) POBEGA'D from the Fed-Ex guy, sampled over 2 days. How is this wines $20?
Just opened this wine recently. I didn't get much reduction at all, and actually would have liked a bit more. The wine is very clean and polished, with a really nice touch on the acidity. That said, I found the 2014 to be more to my liking. If I recall, the 2014 had more of the citrus profile whereas in the 2016 I'm picking up more creamy lychee notes that I (rightly or wrongly) tend to associate with lees. The 2014 also seemed to have more matchstick reduction on the nose, which I like in small doses and find lacking in the 2016. I have no idea whether this is simple vintage variation, a case of me drinking too young, or an actual change in winemaking. In any case, I'll still look out for the 16 Richard's when it comes out.
j c h e n g

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#194 Post by Sean_S » July 8th, 2018, 9:26 pm

• 2013 Matello Fool's Journey Deux Vert - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (7/8/2018)
    Fantastic fruity tanniny TART elixir. Better than the last one, I know from others it only gets better as it opens. Fantastic Pinot Noir!, Oh yeah it syrah. Anyway, very yummy for this taster. Its only been open 20 minutes. I'll update more later. Serious QPR(93 pts.)

Doug Uno

#195 Post by Doug Uno » July 9th, 2018, 10:08 am

Vinopolis is selling this for $18/btl or $199/cs.

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#196 Post by Sean_S » July 10th, 2018, 10:39 pm

By the third day the flavors were still intense and fresh. Fantastic wine, still have 3 in the cellar and will need to get some more before they are gone. Hopefully Marcus still has some of this and some Souris stashed somewhere.... :)

Delicous delicate wine.....

Seam

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#197 Post by Scott Tallman » July 10th, 2018, 11:07 pm

Sean_S wrote:By the third day the flavors were still intense and fresh. Fantastic wine, still have 3 in the cellar and will need to get some more before they are gone. Hopefully Marcus still has some of this and some Souris stashed somewhere.... :)

Delicous delicate wine.....

Seam
Wholeheartedly agree! Also have 3 left and in no rush to open. Have had the 2008 Fool’s Journey at 8 and 10 years old and was wonderful both times. ‘13 should easily go that long IMO.
CT - WestbyGod

Bob Hughes

#198 Post by Bob Hughes » July 14th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Sitting here listening to a little jazz on a Saturday afternoon with a glass of the 2013 Richard's in front of me. This has started to unfurl and put on a little weight. I took a look at my CT notes - this is the 4th time I've logged a TN on this wine since December of 2015, and it's fun to see how my perceptions of this wine have changed over that time span.

Still drinking young, though, so no need to worry about drinking up.

rfelthoven

#199 Post by rfelthoven » July 14th, 2018, 3:59 pm

Bob Hughes wrote:Sitting here listening to a little jazz on a Saturday afternoon with a glass of the 2013 Richard's in front of me. This has started to unfurl and put on a little weight. I took a look at my CT notes - this is the 4th time I've logged a TN on this wine since December of 2015, and it's fun to see how my perceptions of this wine have changed over that time span.

Still drinking young, though, so no need to worry about drinking up.
How is the "flinty"/burnt match character showing these days? Early on it was a bit pronounced for my taste and plan to dig into the rest of my case once that recedes a bit.
Ron

Bob Hughes

#200 Post by Bob Hughes » July 14th, 2018, 5:28 pm

It has definitely receded, Ron - my wife detests that matchstick scent, and she thought this was pretty palatable tonight.

Return to “Wine Talk”