What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Marcus Goodfellow

#101 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » April 8th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Bob,

I completely agree. While the WV Chardonnay is good, it's mostly younger vines. The Richard's is just a world apart.

The 2013 Syrah is an extraordinary wine from and wacko vintage. It's really not Northern Rhone like in expression, although initially there tends to be quite a bit of white and black pepper. It's a lighter wine, but with a few hours air the aromatics are quite lovely and really unlike anything else (Rhone or otherwise).

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by dsGriswold » April 10th, 2017, 12:52 pm

An update on that '12 Fools Journey Deax Vert:
dsGriswold wrote:
  • 2012 Matello Fool's Journey Deux Vert - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (4/3/2017)
    Medium dark ruby, some light funk on the nose along with some ripe cherries. Dry lightly tart medium fruit and light chewy tannnins in a very good balance with acids exerting some muscle. A great wine with just enough fruit for interest. Medium ruby, nose of red currants and strawberries. Dry, mildly tart red berries, medium body and fruit which is becoming more restrained after a few days open. Nicely balanced with the acid and tannins complementing the fruit. Drinking nicely now with a hint of fresh fruit, some light chalky minerals on the after taste After open a week, it is still going strong. (92 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

Marcus is correct that his wines are for the long haul and are best @ 10 years. While I have none that old, I can easily see another 5 years on this one. It was OK on opening, but it's really started getting good after a week. [wow.gif]
DennisG

Doug Uno

#103 Post by Doug Uno » April 11th, 2017, 9:24 pm

Tonight I opened the 2012 Richard's Cuvee Chardonnay to pair with baked halibut encrusted with chopped walnuts & fresh thyme. I don't drink a lot of chardonnay, but I have to say that this wine is drinking really well right now!!! The nose draws you in with aromas of Meyers Lemon, some matchstick, and a hint of oak. On the palate without loosing any intensity, those flavors continue and blend seamlessly together which coats the mouth. Texturally, the wine has a great a great mouth feel which enhances the wine's flavors and something that is really important to me in a white wine. In my opinion, this is something Marcus does extremely well with his white wines. The finish was long (30 seconds) and smooth with a hint of vanilla at the very end. This is an exceptional chardonnay! I have one more bottle that I purchased from Marcus. I think I'm going to let it rest for a few more years to see how this wine evolves.

Doug Uno

#104 Post by Doug Uno » May 11th, 2017, 12:03 am

Last Friday I went to a local wine shop that was doing a Pinot Noir shoot out
Oregon vs France. I tried the 2014 Domaine Bart Marsannay St. Jacques & the
2014 Goodfellow Pinot Noir Durant Vineyard side by side.

The Durrant more than held its own against the Marsannay with red currants and a savory earthy component on the nose. The palate had a bright core of red fruits and raspberries with a nice balance of acid and fine tannins on the finish. The finish was long and smooth while the finish on the Marsannay was clipped.

I was really blown away by how well the Durant is drinking right now! All the elements: the savory nose, the red fruit, the acid, and the fine tannins are perfectly balanced. This is a wine you could enjoy now, but with the acid and the tannins the wine should continue to improve for several more years. This is an outstanding wine Marcus crafted from a warm vintage.

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by Adam Noble » May 11th, 2017, 5:50 am

2014 WV Chardonnay over the last couple of nights. I've had plenty of Pinot and Syrah from Marcus, this was my first Chardonnay. It was very enjoyable and makes me excited to try the Richard's that I also got on Berserker Day.

rfelthoven

#106 Post by rfelthoven » May 11th, 2017, 2:22 pm

Doug Uno wrote:Tonight I opened the 2012 Richard's Cuvee Chardonnay to pair with baked halibut encrusted with chopped walnuts & fresh thyme. I don't drink a lot of chardonnay, but I have to say that this wine is drinking really well right now!!! The nose draws you in with aromas of Meyers Lemon, some matchstick, and a hint of oak. On the palate without loosing any intensity, those flavors continue and blend seamlessly together which coats the mouth. Texturally, the wine has a great a great mouth feel which enhances the wine's flavors and something that is really important to me in a white wine. In my opinion, this is something Marcus does extremely well with his white wines. The finish was long (30 seconds) and smooth with a hint of vanilla at the very end. This is an exceptional chardonnay! I have one more bottle that I purchased from Marcus. I think I'm going to let it rest for a few more years to see how this wine evolves.
I recall when I tried this wine at the tasting room. I was floored. It was simultaneously electric but also dense and concentrated. The mouthfeel was awesome. My first thought was "I have to buy this wine." I picked up a couple but haven't opened them yet. Sounds like I should wait a little longer, but I am super excited.
Ron

Jon A-K

#107 Post by Jon A-K » May 11th, 2017, 9:06 pm

Drinking this field blend of Riesling, Pinot Blanc, Pinot Noir, and Gewurz (if I remember correctly) that I bought from Marcus himself today. He was very hospitable, and it was great to taste through his lineup. Thanks again Marcus, if you're reading this!
  • 2015 Matello Whistling Ridge Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (5/11/2017)
    Quite aromatic - mountain herbs/pine, mixed orchard and tropical fruits and flowers, cool, clean, fresh. Fruity but not overly so, with plenty else going on. Good acidity, almost tart. Fully dry. Very Alsatianesque. Good stuff!
Posted from CellarTracker
Jѻn Adαm$-КαnƐ
CT: BƐƐrzebub

Bob Hughes

#108 Post by Bob Hughes » June 10th, 2017, 10:45 am

A beautiful Saturday here in the Delaware valley today, and I've got some Arctic Char and Rainbow Trout to throw on the grill later on. I had already opened a 2014 Durant Chardonnay for lunch - I love this wine, but do wish I would have some more discipline, because as well as it is drinking now, I am convinced it has what it takes to reward further cellaring.

At any rate, sitting in my kitchen finishing up lunch, I recalled some recent correspondence with Marcus and walked down to the cellar to liberate a 2014 Whistling Ridge Pinot Noir. You know, for a young wine, this is pretty tasty [cheers.gif] . Very lightly colored - as I mention in my CT note, this would even be lightly-colored for an Etna Rosso. But you've got some nice spice notes and a cranberry fruit note and life is good on a Saturday afternoon.

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by Scott Tallman » August 4th, 2017, 3:34 pm

2014 Matello Caprice last night. Still in a great place. Perfect low abv weeknight wine at a crazy good price.

EDIT: Had the last of the bottle tonight, and then opened a 2015 Enderle & Moll Pinot Blanc/Pinot Gris blend. Not sure if it is close to the 80% PB/20% PG of the Caprice, but two totally different wines. The E&M was nice, but tasted more like a Saison Brett beer (which I LOVE) that is near the end of its drinking window. Interesting and definitely delicious, but lacked the verve of the Caprice. Would choose the Caprice every time.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#110 Post by Scott Tallman » August 10th, 2017, 7:39 pm

2013 Matello Fool's Journey Deux Vert Syrah (94%)/Viognier(6%). To add to Bob H's notes, tasted blind I would not have guessed Syrah. Definitely lighter than Syrah, esp new world Syrah (only 12.8%).

The nose subtly gives off typical N Rhone Syrah characteristics, but it initially tasted to me like a nice Loire Cab Franc with some leather and ash tray. After an hour in the glass, the white and black pepper notes appear, but again subtly. Pretty short finish.

Interesting wine, esp in comparison to other new world Syrah. The one I've had that compares is Todd's Deux Vert Syrah. Interested to see how the other half performs tomorrow night.

EDIT: On night 2, I was expecting it to pick up a bit of weight, but actually seemed even lighter. Seemed to lose most of the pepper and ash tray notes in favor of more floral notes, presumably from Viognier. Preferred more on night 1, although still good on second night. Have a few more bottles, but will drink them in next 1-2 years. I know this wine can age gracefully for many years based on past vintages, but this '13 is a different animal.
Last edited by Scott Tallman on August 12th, 2017, 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
CT - WestbyGod

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by dsGriswold » August 11th, 2017, 12:15 am

I'm liking the WV syrahs, in addition Franchere has a Havlin vineyard that I find very attractive, WV syrahs are more savory than fruity which I enjoy. There are a few more I have not sampled from down south. [cheers.gif]
DennisG

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by Richard T r i m p i » August 17th, 2017, 5:56 am

Had to smile 2 days ago. I gave a bottle of 2013 Goodfellow WV to a friend as a present and had to explain that it was "very bright" and best paired with food. She's a vegetarian so asked what to pair it with. A dish with "mushrooms" was my response. I warned that as a cocktail wine, it'd be best with something to nibble on. And then found myself wishing I'd kept the bottle.

I'm convinced that a gift you want to keep for yourself is a good one.

RT

rfelthoven

#113 Post by rfelthoven » August 18th, 2017, 12:20 am

Scott Tallman wrote:2013 Matello Fool's Journey Deux Vert Syrah (94%)/Viognier(6%). To add to Bob H's notes, tasted blind I would not have guessed Syrah. Definitely lighter than Syrah, esp new world Syrah (only 12.8%).

The nose subtly gives off typical N Rhone Syrah characteristics, but it initially tasted to me like a nice Loire Cab Franc with some leather and ash tray. After an hour in the glass, the white and black pepper notes appear, but again subtly. Pretty short finish.

Interesting wine, esp in comparison to other new world Syrah. The one I've had that compares is Todd's Deux Vert Syrah. Interested to see how the other half performs tomorrow night.

EDIT: On night 2, I was expecting it to pick up a bit of weight, but actually seemed even lighter. Seemed to lose most of the pepper and ash tray notes in favor of more floral notes, presumably from Viognier. Preferred more on night 1, although still good on second night. Have a few more bottles, but will drink them in next 1-2 years. I know this wine can age gracefully for many years based on past vintages, but this '13 is a different animal.
Perhaps I'll blind this and the '10 side by side for kicks.
Ron

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by Scott Tallman » August 18th, 2017, 9:56 am

Ron, good idea. Next time I'll blind the '13 v '11 v a N Rhone.
CT - WestbyGod

Steven Miller

#115 Post by Steven Miller » August 18th, 2017, 10:20 am

Robert Wolfe's newsletter came out this morning. champagne.gif
I've recently tasted several 2015 pinot noirs from Goodfellow Family Wines. The bottlings are his new "Heritage" bottlings, which highlight old-vine, single-vineyard sources that he's worked with over time - in some cases, more than a decade. The Heritage wines are the best wines Goodfellow has bottled to date, and mark a new chapter in his development as a winemaker. For his continued improvement over more than a decade, for the undeniable consistency he has achieved in recent years in particular, and for the superb Heritage series bottlings from the 2015 vintage, Goodfellow should be recognized as an upper echelon winemaker in the pantheon of Oregon wine.

I've had a few epiphanies over the years with Marcus' wines. One was a few years back when he moved into his own production facility in McMinnville, and gained greater control over his schedule and equipment. His wines took a leap forward then, and became significantly more consistent.

Another was at a blind tasting some months ago, where a group blind-tasted red and white Burgundy against the Goodfellow pinot noir and chardonnay. While I have followed the wines since the first bottling, and I knew that Marcus had a goal of making ageable, Burgundian-style wines, I was mostly unable to discern the difference between white Burgundy and Goodfellow, leading to the inescapable conclusion that he was indeed making Burgundian style wines, and at a quality level equal to Premier Cru (a notable achievement).

But it took a tasting of the Heritage series pinots two weeks ago to realize that Goodfellow wines had reached a new level. One of the things that elevates these wines is a remarkable, rich texture. Despite their dense fruit and significant extraction, these bottlings already have a supple texture with rounded, silky tannins. Part of that is vintage character, but another major factor is an extended post-fermentation cold soak, where the wine stays in contact with the skins for 40-60 days. This helps the tannins polymerize (form bigger molecules) which changes the texture of the finished wine in a desirable way. They are muscular wines that are approachable young, with great cellaring potential.

"The Heritage wines came about for two reasons," says Goodfellow. "We know from blind tasting that we can compare to Premier Cru Burgundy, but the goal is to pursue Grand Cru quality in Oregon. We do this by selecting vineyard sites and selecting barrels that are closer to Burgundy than the new world.

"The Heritage bottlings focus on that idea. The name has meaning, too. Heritage is both what you inherit, and what you pass on to the next generation. In the modern world we, inherited the bounty of the Willamette Valley, and it is our duty to pass on legacy wines that are both ageable and show that Oregon is ready to take its place beside Burgundy as an elite growing region for pinot noir and chardonnay."
Robert, it would be great if you had a shareable link to your newsletter.

Tx Robert!

Read the whole post here:
https://www.oregonpinotnoir.com/wpwine/?p=189
Last edited by Steven Miller on August 27th, 2017, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
tread lightly

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#116 Post by Scott Tallman » August 18th, 2017, 3:10 pm

Thanks for sharing, Steven. Glad to see Marcus receiving such high praise.

Based on all the '15 Heritage love in the post-IPNC tasting thread, I reached out about adding some to my fall club shipment. Sounds like I need to acquire quite a bit.
CT - WestbyGod

Carter Y.

#117 Post by Carter Y. » August 18th, 2017, 3:38 pm

I've recently tasted several 2015 pinot noirs from Goodfellow Family Wines. The bottlings are his new "Heritage" bottlings, which highlight old-vine, single-vineyard sources that he's worked with over time - in some cases, more than a decade. The Heritage wines are the best wines Goodfellow has bottled to date, and mark a new chapter in his development as a winemaker. For his continued improvement over more than a decade, for the undeniable consistency he has achieved in recent years in particular, and for the superb Heritage series bottlings from the 2015 vintage, Goodfellow should be recognized as an upper echelon winemaker in the pantheon of Oregon wine.

I've had a few epiphanies over the years with Marcus' wines. One was a few years back when he moved into his own production facility in McMinnville, and gained greater control over his schedule and equipment. His wines took a leap forward then, and became significantly more consistent.

Another was at a blind tasting some months ago, where a group blind-tasted red and white Burgundy against the Goodfellow pinot noir and chardonnay. While I have followed the wines since the first bottling, and I knew that Marcus had a goal of making ageable, Burgundian-style wines, I was mostly unable to discern the difference between white Burgundy and Goodfellow, leading to the inescapable conclusion that he was indeed making Burgundian style wines, and at a quality level equal to Premier Cru (a notable achievement).

But it took a tasting of the Heritage series pinots two weeks ago to realize that Goodfellow wines had reached a new level. One of the things that elevates these wines is a remarkable, rich texture. Despite their dense fruit and significant extraction, these bottlings already have a supple texture with rounded, silky tannins. Part of that is vintage character, but another major factor is an extended post-fermentation cold soak, where the wine stays in contact with the skins for 40-60 days. This helps the tannins polymerize (form bigger molecules) which changes the texture of the finished wine in a desirable way. They are muscular wines that are approachable young, with great cellaring potential.

"The Heritage wines came about for two reasons," says Goodfellow. "We know from blind tasting that we can compare to Premier Cru Burgundy, but the goal is to pursue Grand Cru quality in Oregon. We do this by selecting vineyard sites and selecting barrels that are closer to Burgundy than the new world.

"The Heritage bottlings focus on that idea. The name has meaning, too. Heritage is both what you inherit, and what you pass on to the next generation. In the modern world we, inherited the bounty of the Willamette Valley, and it is our duty to pass on legacy wines that are both ageable and show that Oregon is ready to take its place beside Burgundy as an elite growing region for pinot noir and chardonnay."
Visiting Marcus tomorrow.
What could possibly go wrong...
Y = Yeh

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#118 Post by dsGriswold » August 18th, 2017, 4:24 pm

BD '17 Posted from CellarTracker
DennisG

rfelthoven

#119 Post by rfelthoven » August 24th, 2017, 11:30 am

Popped a 2012 Souris last night. Though the acid is razor sharp (thanks Marcus -- I love to see that in a 2012!), it was surprisingly approachable as a pop and pour. The wood could use a bit more integration with bottle age (more caramel showing than overt wood), but other than that this was a really beauty dark brooding notes, some blackberry and barely ripe red plums on the palate. I didn't take detailed notes but the nose was outstanding as well. Super intense but not in a blockbuster, overly extracted way.
Ron

Bob Hughes

#120 Post by Bob Hughes » September 19th, 2017, 4:44 pm

While rooting around in my cellar recently, I came across a 2013 Goodfellow Richard's Cuvée. I have been doing a dedicated job on working through the 2014 vintage of this wine, but hadn't tried one of these in a while.

Very likable, but at least IMO, doesn't quite reach the heights of the 2014. That said, glad to have more in the cellar ;)

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#121 Post by Rick Allen » September 19th, 2017, 8:29 pm

2014 Durant Chardonnay. Superb wine. Probably needs another year or so for the oak to fully integrate. Powerful, complex, and balanced. Definitely in my top 5 all time Oregon Chardonnays (83 Tualatin, 98 Cameron Abbey, 10 Blackcap, 12 Brittan are the others)

John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#122 Post by John Osburn » September 20th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Rick Allen wrote:2014 Durant Chardonnay. Superb wine. Probably needs another year or so for the oak to fully integrate. Powerful, complex, and balanced. Definitely in my top 5 all time Oregon Chardonnays (83 Tualatin, 98 Cameron Abbey, 10 Blackcap, 12 Brittan are the others)
Then I'd better pick some up. Drank the hell out of the '83 Tualatin with crab....

Doug Uno

#123 Post by Doug Uno » September 20th, 2017, 9:39 pm

With all the talk about Goodfellow Chardonnays, I opened the 2012 Goodfellow Whistling Ridge Chardonnay.

This wine is drinking really well right now! The wine had great aromatics of lemon curd and minerality. On the palate, more of the same lemon curd & minerality with the great mouth feel/viscosity that Marcus' white wines have. There was also a subtle hint of vanilla from the oak aging. The finish was a balanced combination of fruit and vanilla with a hint of spice. The finish was long and smooth.

I think this wine will drink well for years to come!

R Nanda
GCC Member
GCC Member

#124 Post by R Nanda » September 27th, 2017, 6:03 pm

Goodfellow offer hit my inbox tonight. What's everyone buying?
r i c h
instagram: rnvin

rfelthoven

#125 Post by rfelthoven » September 27th, 2017, 6:29 pm

I don’t think you can lose buying Marcus’s wines unless you drink them too soon. He’s increased his pricing to be able to earn a living for his family, but it’s becoming special occasion Pinot for my limited budget and soon to be college age kids.
Ron

Bob Hughes

#126 Post by Bob Hughes » September 28th, 2017, 8:10 am

Send your kids to county college for the first two years and use the savings to buy more wine [wow.gif]

I picked up some of each of the single vineyard Pinots, and given how much I liked the 2014 versions, I will definitely be buying the 2015 Durant and Richard's Cuvee Chardonnays. I will also do something with the Heritage releases, but just need to figure out what yet.

I assume that the Fir Crest this year is kind of a "replacement" for Bishop's Creek - so still three single vineyard Pinot selections.

Eric W

#127 Post by Eric W » September 28th, 2017, 10:17 pm

I had the opportunity to meet Marcus for the first time in McMinnville recently for a tasting. He was quite gracious and generous in sharing not only his time and wines, but also his insights and experiences with the vineyards from which they come, and finally also his own winemaking. He did a great job of meeting me where I am in my own knowledge, answering my questions, helping me learn and generally geeking out on wine while tasting.

I tasted a 2015 Durant Chardonnay and a 2013 Richard's Cuvee Chardonnay (he's sold out of the 2014 Chards), along with a bunch of his 2015 Pinot Noirs and a Pinot Gris. The 2015 Whistling Ridge was the first Pinot presented, and came away as my favorite Pinot in the lineup that day along with the Heritage wines. The former matched my own preference for a bit more red fruit vs. darker fruit, and perhaps it seemed the most delicious in part because it seemed the most open at that time. I preferred the 2015 Durant to the 2015 Fir Crest, and the Whistling Ridge over both. The Heritage #4 and #6 (didn't have the #5) offered promise and more complexity, though I'm not very good at gauging/predicting how their evolution may unfold. As has been mentioned in this thread before, Marcus aims for longevity in his wines.

A very nice lineup - and a lot of fun. Thank you, Marcus!
E _ W i 1 s o n

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#128 Post by Sean_S » September 28th, 2017, 11:51 pm

I joined their wine club to explore their complete selection of wines over the next year. Just in a time for a great fall shipment which I includes something special I can't find on their website [highfive.gif] [highfive.gif] . I went in for more to finish a mixed case. Mostly all the chards and some cuvee pinots. Heritage wines sound attractive but time will tell if I go down that route. Living in the Santa Cruz Mountains AVA you're spoiled with small boutique wineries with personalized service (we are not Napa). Nice to see that in Oregon, Gaironn made it all Easy!
2nd circle Berserker day pick via Vincent Wine Company..... Just discovering Oregon, Yum! flirtysmile flirtysmile
Mmmmm bring on the crack. champagne.gif

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Summit Rd, Redwood Estates, CA

Marcus Goodfellow

#129 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » October 2nd, 2017, 4:22 pm

rfelthoven wrote:I don’t think you can lose buying Marcus’s wines unless you drink them too soon. He’s increased his pricing to be able to earn a living for his family, but it’s becoming special occasion Pinot for my limited budget and soon to be college age kids.
Ron, just so you know, the 2015 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir is all of $22.50 via Avalon right now and a really lovely version of the entry level wine.

You also shouldn't miss the 2015 Willamette Valley Chardonnay at $26.

rfelthoven

#130 Post by rfelthoven » October 2nd, 2017, 5:04 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
rfelthoven wrote:I don’t think you can lose buying Marcus’s wines unless you drink them too soon. He’s increased his pricing to be able to earn a living for his family, but it’s becoming special occasion Pinot for my limited budget and soon to be college age kids.
Ron, just so you know, the 2015 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir is all of $22.50 via Avalon right now and a really lovely version of the entry level wine.

You also shouldn't miss the 2015 Willamette Valley Chardonnay at $26.
Marcus,

I apologize if I was too brief or sloppy with the details in my post; I know that can affect perceptions. I was responding to the question about the Fall mailer which just came out and I had just looked at those options, albeit for a limited set of your overall annual portfolio, and this release happened to include many of your finest, smallest production wines with some of the higher tariffs. My response was solely focused on that subset. There are plenty of great Goodfellow wines I can still afford and they compete with others as some of the best values around.
Ron

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#131 Post by Scott Tallman » October 8th, 2017, 10:33 am

Kudos to Marcus for expanding his empire beyond wine! :)

https://www.target.com/c/men-s-clothing/-/N-5xu2fZrcv2g
CT - WestbyGod

rfelthoven

#132 Post by rfelthoven » October 8th, 2017, 2:56 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:Kudos to Marcus for expanding his empire beyond wine! :)

Is this Marcus?
Attachments
E217B718-06B1-4629-97A7-BD726C0D04DB.png
E217B718-06B1-4629-97A7-BD726C0D04DB.png (178.96 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
Ron

Rory K.

#133 Post by Rory K. » October 8th, 2017, 3:49 pm

2014 WV Chardonnay - Really lovely light wine, I was skeptical that that much french oak on an entry-level young vine chardonnay would be in balance, but its quite nice; a touch of this, a kiss of that, it has all the elements just in a lighter, refreshing frame. I'm not ashamed to say its pairing exceptionally well with my Chipotle salad bowl...
K i n n e a r

ITB

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#134 Post by Scott Tallman » October 8th, 2017, 4:19 pm

rfelthoven wrote:
Scott Tallman wrote:Kudos to Marcus for expanding his empire beyond wine! :)

Is this Marcus?
I don’t know Marcus that intimately.
CT - WestbyGod

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#135 Post by dsGriswold » October 8th, 2017, 7:32 pm

Cargo shorts, but no Crocs for me. [wow.gif]
DennisG

Marcus Goodfellow

#136 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » October 12th, 2017, 2:04 pm

That is most definitely not me...

I may have to buy some new clothes now ;)

Just a quick update on 2017, I do think it's much more of a Felthoven, Tallman, Trimpi type of vintage.

rfelthoven

#137 Post by rfelthoven » October 12th, 2017, 2:31 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:That is most definitely not me...

Just a quick update on 2017, I do think it's much more of a Felthoven, Tallman, Trimpi type of vintage.
It felt like forever waiting for Marcus to see that photo and respond. He must be busy w/ his day job.

Glad to hear 17 is in my strike zone. Don't work too hard Marcus and drink lots of beer.
Ron

R yan C omaz zetto
GCC Member
GCC Member

#138 Post by R yan C omaz zetto » October 12th, 2017, 2:48 pm

Seems like 17 may be similar to 13?

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#139 Post by dsGriswold » October 12th, 2017, 3:13 pm

Go long and hold along with the '11s?
DennisG

Steven Miller

#140 Post by Steven Miller » October 12th, 2017, 4:14 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:Just a quick update on 2017, I do think it's much more of a Felthoven, Tallman, Trimpi type of vintage.
Party!!!!
tread lightly

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#141 Post by Scott Tallman » October 12th, 2017, 5:26 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:That is most definitely not me...

You also have an insurance agency in McMinnville, right. [wink.gif]

That is great news on the ‘17s, but I’ll still be a buyer of ‘15s and ‘16s.
CT - WestbyGod

Marcus Goodfellow

#142 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » October 13th, 2017, 9:52 pm

R yan C omaz zetto wrote:Seems like 17 may be similar to 13?
I would guess that many of the late picked wines will be similar to 2013. I picked most of our fruit the last week of September. It was 100 days past bloom, flavors were good, and Brix were modest(21.5-23.8). Acids are great.
I felt we had a late start to the year and was more rigorous on yields and wings than I was is 14-16(where the early starts indicated we would be more likely to accumulate considerable heat). Across the Valley though I think wines will have a wide range of style and quality.

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#143 Post by Richard T r i m p i » October 14th, 2017, 8:39 am

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:I would guess that many of the late picked wines will be similar to 2013. I picked most of our fruit the last week of September. It was 100 days past bloom, flavors were good, and Brix were modest(21.5-23.8). Acids are great.
[wow.gif] [cheers.gif]

RT

Marcus Goodfellow

#144 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » October 16th, 2017, 11:35 pm

Richard T r i m p i wrote:
Marcus Goodfellow wrote:I would guess that many of the late picked wines will be similar to 2013. I picked most of our fruit the last week of September. It was 100 days past bloom, flavors were good, and Brix were modest(21.5-23.8). Acids are great.
[wow.gif] [cheers.gif]

RT
I do abv testing on a few lots just to get an idea of what we're looking at for the vintage. Four different ferments from Whistling Ridge yielded a range from 12.53% to 13.02%. Elegant red fruited wines with good density, right up your alley, correct?

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#145 Post by Richard T r i m p i » October 17th, 2017, 7:57 am

Marcus, Sounds great! Naturally, the ABV numbers are only one part of the story. Hopefully you don't break too many hearts after your "comparatively lush" 14s and 15s!

RT

Bob Hughes

#146 Post by Bob Hughes » October 18th, 2017, 4:55 pm

I am sitting here watching the Yankees and enjoying a day 2 glass of the 2015 Durant Chardonnay - this was tight and primary last night, but it has relaxed tonight and is quite appealing. I might prefer the 2014 version of this wine, but I will have to verify that by trying them side-by-side soon. In any event, very likable ;)

K. R. Baker

#147 Post by K. R. Baker » October 18th, 2017, 5:26 pm

2014 Durant Chard. My first Goodfellow, but it most certainly will not be my last. Stellar stuff at this price point.
Kevin Baker

rfelthoven

#148 Post by rfelthoven » October 22nd, 2017, 9:08 am

2010 Souris. Upon release I felt this was the best Martello Pinot I had tasted and it was in my top one or two wines of the great 2010 vintage. I’ve tried to be patient but had to revisit this. Upon opening the wine it was somewhat closed, but blossomed over the next hour. The intensity is still there in spades but the primary fruit has changed a bit from really bright red to a deeper black cherry and some gravel. That being said, it’s relatively light in color but really energetic and showing more structural elements than on release. This is an interesting wine that I predict will keep evolving. If you only have a couple I’d hold but if you have several pop one and drink it slowly over an afternoon.
Ron

Michael Davidson

#149 Post by Michael Davidson » October 22nd, 2017, 9:36 am

Anyone tried a 2011 Souris recently? I have two, almost opened one this week but resisted.

Michael

rfelthoven

#150 Post by rfelthoven » October 22nd, 2017, 1:55 pm

Yes. I’d wait.
Ron

Return to “Wine Talk”