What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#751 Post by Al Osterheld »

I opened one three weeks ago and also had the impression it was better with a decant at this point. The first Goodfellow wine I drank was a 2013 Durant Pinot Noir, even lighter and probably more understated than the Whistling Ridge. Loved it and ended up buying half of what the store had in stock (somebody else was also buying it), then started buying directly from Marcus.

-Al

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#752 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

Just polished off my last 2012 Durant Pinot....contrasted with a 2012 PGC Durant Madrone Block. The PGC was more vintage typical while the Goodfellow highlighted Marcus's ability to preserve freshness and acidity in a warm vintage. Fine work!

RT

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#753 Post by Max S. »

Al Osterheld wrote: January 1st, 2021, 1:41 pm I opened one three weeks ago and also had the impression it was better with a decant at this point. The first Goodfellow wine I drank was a 2013 Durant Pinot Noir, even lighter and probably more understated than the Whistling Ridge. Loved it and ended up buying half of what the store had in stock (somebody else was also buying it), then started buying directly from Marcus.

-Al
I'd agree with this, my first bottle made it to day 2 and better on the 2nd day.
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#754 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Richard T r i m p i wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 7:45 am Just polished off my last 2012 Durant Pinot....contrasted with a 2012 PGC Durant Madrone Block. The PGC was more vintage typical while the Goodfellow highlighted Marcus's ability to preserve freshness and acidity in a warm vintage. Fine work!

RT
That’s great to hear Rich! I need to find you a bottle of the 2012 Whistling Ridge. The vineyard handles the hot vintages better than the rest and the 2012 was overperforming my expectations when we tried it(still so young though).
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#755 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Max S. wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 8:19 am
Al Osterheld wrote: January 1st, 2021, 1:41 pm I opened one three weeks ago and also had the impression it was better with a decant at this point. The first Goodfellow wine I drank was a 2013 Durant Pinot Noir, even lighter and probably more understated than the Whistling Ridge. Loved it and ended up buying half of what the store had in stock (somebody else was also buying it), then started buying directly from Marcus.

-Al
I'd agree with this, my first bottle made it to day 2 and better on the 2nd day.
Over the years, it seems that there is often a nice window for sampling Whistling Ridge young(for those who enjoy a crunchy wine), and then around 7 years the wines can be really enjoyable with lots of air, and then at 10 years old they reach a first mature phase but still need time/decanting. At 15 years the 2004 and 2005 are in a nice prime window(IMO).

Long time to wait, so I usually just have the decanter ready to go ;)

We opened the 2018 Beloved Acre two days ago, decanted and wound up drinking it last night after 30 hours in the decanter(very pretty but of all the 2018s, perhaps the most in need of a sleep in the cellar).
Winemaker & Owner

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#756 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

Marcus Goodfellow wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 8:39 am
Richard T r i m p i wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 7:45 am Just polished off my last 2012 Durant Pinot....contrasted with a 2012 PGC Durant Madrone Block. The PGC was more vintage typical while the Goodfellow highlighted Marcus's ability to preserve freshness and acidity in a warm vintage. Fine work!
RT
That’s great to hear Rich! I need to find you a bottle of the 2012 Whistling Ridge. The vineyard handles the hot vintages better than the rest and the 2012 was overperforming my expectations when we tried it(still so young though).
You already have, one left in the cellar, along with 2 x 2012 Heritage. Is it time to start in on your 13's?

RT

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#757 Post by Max S. »

Marcus Goodfellow wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 8:44 am
Max S. wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 8:19 am

-Al
Over the years, it seems that there is often a nice window for sampling Whistling Ridge young(for those who enjoy a crunchy wine), and then around 7 years the wines can be really enjoyable with lots of air, and then at 10 years old they reach a first mature phase but still need time/decanting. At 15 years the 2004 and 2005 are in a nice prime window(IMO).

Long time to wait, so I usually just have the decanter ready to go ;)

We opened the 2018 Beloved Acre two days ago, decanted and wound up drinking it last night after 30 hours in the decanter(very pretty but of all the 2018s, perhaps the most in need of a sleep in the cellar).
I was planning to drink more of the 13 young, but think I'm going to hold off and see what it's like when it's truly mature. Also, can you make the bottles smaller so they fit in my wine cabinet? [snort.gif] Kidding, I'm getting some of those weinboxes to put on top of the racks just for you!
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Jake Rubash
GCC Member
GCC Member

#758 Post by Jake Rubash »

Opened our first Goodfellow Pinot yesterday, 2018 Old Vine Pommard, and followed through tonight... what the hell?? This is absolutely delicious! Such a full wine at 13% alcohol, red fruit for days and so silky smooth in the mouth. One of the most memorable wines I’ve had recently, outstanding

Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#759 Post by Al Osterheld »

That wine is from Lewman vineyard, as I recall.

-Al

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#760 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Al Osterheld wrote: January 13th, 2021, 7:26 pm That wine is from Lewman vineyard, as I recall.

-Al
Plus 1

Pommard vines from Dennis Lewman's original 1993 planting. Just an absolutely beautiful under the radar site producing some lovely wines. The OVP is a single 500L puncheon that was one of my favorite in the cellar.

Jake-I am really glad you enjoyed that wine, it sets the bar very high and I hope that the next Goodfellow wine you have meets the expectation as well.
Winemaker & Owner

Jake Rubash
GCC Member
GCC Member

#761 Post by Jake Rubash »

Marcus Goodfellow wrote: January 13th, 2021, 7:50 pm
Al Osterheld wrote: January 13th, 2021, 7:26 pm That wine is from Lewman vineyard, as I recall.

-Al
Plus 1

Pommard vines from Dennis Lewman's original 1993 planting. Just an absolutely beautiful under the radar site producing some lovely wines. The OVP is a single 500L puncheon that was one of my favorite in the cellar.

Jake-I am really glad you enjoyed that wine, it sets the bar very high and I hope that the next Goodfellow wine you have meets the expectation as well.
Hey Marcus

We got a 6’er of your 2018 Willamette Valley Chard from Oregon Wine TV earlier in the year. Pretty sure those were gone in under 10 days. I’m certainly sold and just signed up for your mailing list [cheers.gif]

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#762 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Jake Rubash wrote: January 13th, 2021, 8:35 pm
Marcus Goodfellow wrote: January 13th, 2021, 7:50 pm

-Al
Plus 1

Hey Marcus

We got a 6’er of your 2018 Willamette Valley Chard from Oregon Wine TV earlier in the year. Pretty sure those were gone in under 10 days. I’m certainly sold and just signed up for your mailing list [cheers.gif]
Awesome! BD 12 is the first event on the horizon for us, but Spring release for the first 2019s will be mid-March. We're putting together final blends right now. A very elegant vintage with some absolutely outstanding wines, and one or two new things!
Winemaker & Owner

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#763 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

I like elegance. Looking forward to it!
CT: rieslinghoarder

2020 WOTY: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese

2021 WOTY Candidates:

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#764 Post by Jason T »

Popped a humble 2017 Berserker last weekend to share with my in-laws. They’d never had Goodfellow and tend towards the riper/richer Pinots of Sonoma and Willamette.

Have to say all three of us did a double take at just how damn delicious this wine was. Everything was dialed in just so. Fruit was robust, lovely acidity, nice grip.

We all three kept going back to the glass and commenting how great it was. I can’t recall getting that reaction from any wine at that price point in a while.

Brilliant stuff!
J@son Tr@ughber

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#765 Post by Jason T »

Marcus Goodfellow wrote: January 14th, 2021, 6:46 pm
Awesome! BD 12 is the first event on the horizon for us, but Spring release for the first 2019s will be mid-March. We're putting together final blends right now. A very elegant vintage with some absolutely outstanding wines, and one or two new things!
More new things Marcus?

My credit card says [swearing.gif], but of course my heart says [flirtysmile.gif].

The heart usually wins these battles champagne.gif.
J@son Tr@ughber

Return to “Wine Talk”