What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#551 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » May 26th, 2020, 10:18 pm

MitchTallan wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 5:22 pm
I would post a separate note but if my experience on wine boards has taught me anything, it is to not keep heaping unbridled praise on one winemaker/winery for fear of being dismissed. This note is about the '18 WR Blanc. Forget everything I have ever said about how frigging good past vintages of this wine are, this one is the best. It is electric in it's preserved lemon dominated spicy but bright personality. Right now it may be a bit wysiwyg or the wine equivalent of "GUI", but I will still take this thrilling version in it's present format over any of its predecessors. Time, as always with all things, might change my view. But damn, try this wine and tell me I am wrong. Please. Before I beg Megan for another case.
There’s a lot of wisdom in those first sentences. I’ll remember that for my own posts.

Totally agree with you about the 2018 Field Blend. I love this wine every year but the 2018 might be the top of the heap. 2012 is up there.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#552 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » May 26th, 2020, 11:12 pm

Jason R. wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 12:25 pm
Marcus, great history there. Can’t wait for fall release [cheers.gif] Your narration encapsulates so many reasons why I love this pursuit. Wine is an amazing craft, from soil to bottle. The artistry, the details, the traditions, the patience, the site, the people, the choices...all comes together in a singular expression that is truly alive. Thanks for sharing all that!
It’s such a complex and dense whirlwind of singularities, with some captured in bottle and some lost to the moment slipping past. In a way, it’s story telling at it’s best because winemaking is a live performance(vineyard, farmer, winemaker...gettin’ the band back together) captured in a bottle.

And one vineyard, Whistling Ridge, can be a work of a lifetime and another, Lewman, can almost feel pre-ordained, as in “we’re on a mission from God.”
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#553 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » May 26th, 2020, 11:28 pm

Sh@n A wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 12:45 pm
Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 10:14 pm
They also truly are post cards to my kids. A way for them to see that I chose an artistic/agricultural life and was pretty good at it. Given that they’ll think I am a doofus for another 20-25 years, these wines do need to age well.
Beautifully written, and a lot to unpack there! I am curious, what are you targeting for in terms of tasting profile 20-25 years out on these wines? Is it simply to make a balanced wine with structure to age, and let time take its course? Or is there particular profile you are gunning for?
Ok...

I have so many “smart” answers for this question.

But the truth is 1957 Bonnes Mares from Jadot drank in 1996.

Whether I ever come within a country mile of the wine, deep down in the back of my brain it’s the bar. That wine and Gerard Potel’s wines at Pousse d’Or in the 1990s.

Truthfully, my wines will and should be more in the key of Barthod, Chandon de Briailles, Domaine de l’Arlot, and Dujac as they age, but at 20-25 years, I dream of dry earth, old barn wood, dust, mushroom, and the woods.
Last edited by Marcus Goodfellow on May 27th, 2020, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winemaker & Owner

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#554 Post by dsGriswold » May 27th, 2020, 12:53 am

Marcus, that was a damn wonderful treatise on making wine. I always wanted to ask you how do you get what you want or see in the grapes and how you draw it out. I spent a good part of my career making things out of wood, thinking I could match anyone. Sculpture and ceramics were rewarding, but making a living depends on selling your wares. I loved making and selling artistic cabinets, and have painting, sculpture and ceramics surround me, those I made, traded or purchased from other craft persons. You can be rightfully proud of your accomplishments and we can be rewarded when drinking your wines. I made just enough wine in earlier days to appreciate the challenge. I thought my PN was a bit light and thin, liking Rhone, Spanish and Italian reds at the time. I've moved back home to appreciate the local austere AFWE style. Presently drinking a '13 Franchere Havlin Syrah, yours and Todd's are not half bad either. [thankyou.gif] [cheers.gif]
DennisG

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#555 Post by Sean_S » May 27th, 2020, 8:27 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 10:18 pm
MitchTallan wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 5:22 pm
I would post a separate note but if my experience on wine boards has taught me anything, it is to not keep heaping unbridled praise on one winemaker/winery for fear of being dismissed. This note is about the '18 WR Blanc. Forget everything I have ever said about how frigging good past vintages of this wine are, this one is the best. It is electric in it's preserved lemon dominated spicy but bright personality. Right now it may be a bit wysiwyg or the wine equivalent of "GUI", but I will still take this thrilling version in it's present format over any of its predecessors. Time, as always with all things, might change my view. But damn, try this wine and tell me I am wrong. Please. Before I beg Megan for another case.
There’s a lot of wisdom in those first sentences. I’ll remember that for my own posts.

Totally agree with you about the 2018 Field Blend. I love this wine every year but the 2018 might be the top of the heap. 2012 is up there.
So I popped one and I'm torn. Its excellent but it doesn't remind of WR Blanc more of the pure Riesling (even though its ~50% riesling). More riesling but no petrol on the nose. I miss the notes of Gewurztraminer I usually get. Missing the floral nose. This may be a more serious wine but it seems less playful on first impression. Will taste and ponder for the next day or two.

BTW: Also a note on the 2015 Richards in my tasting story of 6 Chardonnays blind on National Chardonnay Day.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=170452

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

Doug Uno

#556 Post by Doug Uno » May 27th, 2020, 10:04 pm

Marcus wrote,

“I bottled three vineyard designate wines from the vineyard because the quality was there...”

Can you explain the three Lewman bottlings since they are new to me?

Thanks,

Doug

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#557 Post by Sean_S » June 23rd, 2020, 6:34 pm

Bump. Damn its been a month....

Here's a bunch of new notes from last weekend. The 17 RR is such a good wine. ESJ Bone Jolly is also just so seductive.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=171226

[*]2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Ribbon Ridge Cuvée - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (6/23/2020)
The latest bottle matches what I and other here have written previously. Such an outstanding wine for so few $. Had to buy another case before it was gone.

Sean
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates

John H.

#558 Post by John H. » July 9th, 2020, 12:52 pm

2017 Willamette Valley Chardonnay. For lunch with grilled sockeye. Taking advantage of that WFH life.

I'm sorry but what the f*ck, how is it possible to make a wine this good for $20? It's almost unfair to mention the price because it could take the focus away from the fact that this is a straight-up very good wine, but I do think the value is remarkable.

I popped this last night and it was kind of reductive, with a distinct strange nutty thing going on - which wasn't entirely undesirable - but that has completely blown off and revealed an absolutely crystaline wine with a slight bit of richness and great cut. If there's new oak involved in this, I can't perceive it. Very, very clean.

I feel like my wines typically fall into either a "daily drinker" or "sitting down with my wife drinking a good bottle of wine after our daughter is asleep" bottles, but here's something that I'd be happy to have in either situation. I should probably buy a case if they're still around...
J. Hallett

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#559 Post by Sean_S » July 9th, 2020, 1:05 pm

John H. wrote:
July 9th, 2020, 12:52 pm
2017 Willamette Valley Chardonnay. For lunch with grilled sockeye. Taking advantage of that WFH life.

I'm sorry but what the f*ck, how is it possible to make a wine this good for $20? It's almost unfair to mention the price because it could take the focus away from the fact that this is a straight-up very good wine, but I do think the value is remarkable.

I popped this last night and it was kind of reductive, with a distinct strange nutty thing going on - which wasn't entirely undesirable - but that has completely blown off and revealed an absolutely crystaline wine with a slight bit of richness and great cut. If there's new oak involved in this, I can't perceive it. Very, very clean.

I feel like my wines typically fall into either a "daily drinker" or "sitting down with my wife drinking a good bottle of wine after our daughter is asleep" bottles, but here's something that I'd be happy to have in either situation. I should probably buy a case if they're still around...
Good Note. Certainly aligns with my thoughts. I totally agree on the fact that this is serious wine at an amazing price. I think the Ribbon Ridge is even better value for the extra 2$ of tariff.
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates

Doug Uno

#560 Post by Doug Uno » July 9th, 2020, 9:20 pm

+1 on the '17 Ribbon Ridge.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#561 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » July 9th, 2020, 11:01 pm

John H. wrote:
July 9th, 2020, 12:52 pm

Great to see your note John, and I am glad you enjoyed the wine!

I’m not sure that I can really make that wine for the price, but I’m not willing to make it differently than the other Chardonnays, so it just winds up being a really good deal. We are out of the 2017 WV, but have a couple of cases(literally) left of the 2017 Ribbon Ridge. That said, 2018 is an excellent vintage across the board for us as well, and the quality extends through the cuvees.

The nuttiness on opening then blowing off(especially overnight!) I feel is a regular occurrence with our Chardonnays. The 17 Whistling Ridge Chardonnay really does this as well, as does the 18 Richard’s Cuvee. A recent bottle of Richard’s was very mice at tasting, by night 2 it was showing well, but the last glass on day 3 was shockingly vibrant, very precise, clean, and fresh(more so than day 1).
Winemaker & Owner

jon leifer

#562 Post by jon leifer » July 11th, 2020, 10:57 am

2016 Goodfellow Ribbon Ridge AVA Pinot Noir..sourced from Whistling Ridge Vyd..A winner! Initially framboise on the nose that changed to dark cherry with time, in the mouth, tart cherries with crisp, tho not bracing,acidity..A lovely wine, no rush to drink..Has plenty of room for development and improvement..Will most likely improve with aging, and provide drinking pleasure for another 5-10 yrs.
Jon

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#563 Post by Bob Hughes » July 19th, 2020, 10:22 am

Opened up a 2014 Richard's Cuvee Chardonnay today. One of those wines that I seem to like more and more each time I revisit it. If you have more than one in the cellar and you haven't tried this lately, do yourself a favor and pull the cork on one - truly in the zone right now [cheers.gif]

Doug Uno

#564 Post by Doug Uno » August 1st, 2020, 5:47 pm

Just reordered more “cellar defenders,” the 2017 Ribbon Ridge Chardonnay and the Willamette Valley Pinot Noir. These wines are so good and such a great value!

jon leifer

#565 Post by jon leifer » August 2nd, 2020, 10:59 am

2017 Goodfellow Whistling Ridge Chardonnay...Lovely wine, went well with Teriyaki Salmon and wild rice..One of the best white wines I have tasted in a long time..Bravo, Marcus, well done!!
Jon

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#566 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » August 2nd, 2020, 11:17 am

Can’t wait till fall shopping season!
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#567 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » August 2nd, 2020, 12:20 pm

Thank you Jon, Doug, and Bob!
Winemaker & Owner

Return to “Wine Talk”