What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
rfelthoven

#201 Post by rfelthoven » July 30th, 2018, 7:45 am

2010 Matello Whistling Ridge Vineyard White blend. Still very youthful and energetic with medium acidity. Nice mix of green apple and minerality with just a hint of stone fruit. Comes off as almost fully dry, though some of the field blend has a roundness to it that gives an impression of mild sweetness without tasting like there is much RS. An interesting wine and one that can pair with just about anything.
Ron

Steven Miller

#202 Post by Steven Miller » July 30th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Today we had both the 2007 Whistling Ridge and the Souris at the Throwdown. The first didn't show well, but the Souris was singing. Beautiful wine! Look for notes from attendees in the Throwdown thread.
tread lightly

John Webber

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#203 Post by John Webber » August 28th, 2018, 8:41 am

I had a chance to try a new project for Marcus at a large rose tasting this week at a local restaurant. It was my top pick up against the likes of Vajra, Liquid Farms, Le Sot de L'Ange, and about 16 others. Bright acidity, solid fruit, and just lovely stuff. I could drink it all day long. Sold out at the winery, per board member and owner Darin Kendrick, but they have some distribution. I'm looking forward to the trying the pinots.

http://domaineglennon.com/

No affiliation, but for Darin is a friend I met through the boards 10+ years ago.

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#204 Post by dsGriswold » August 28th, 2018, 8:47 am

I had this a couple nights ago. Not as impressive as previous bottles, but still pretty good. I like OR Syrah almost as well as PN.
  • 2011 Matello Fool's Journey Deux Vert - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (8/22/2018)
    Medium ruby with a garnet rim, brambles nose with a touch of light cedar. Started out a little tart and simple on opening. After a night open starting to come alive with zippy acid, restrained fruit and soft cane pith tannins. Better with food now. (89 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
DennisG

Bob Hughes

#205 Post by Bob Hughes » August 29th, 2018, 11:48 am

Just opened a '13 Richard's Cuvee Chard for dinner later today. Pretty tight right now, but we'll see if it relaxes at all come dinner time.

Corey N.

#206 Post by Corey N. » September 7th, 2018, 9:21 am

I'm not sure why I haven't posted more frequently in this thread as I'm a fan of Marcus' wines.
  • 2012 Matello Fool's Journey Deux Vert - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (9/6/2018)
    Complex nose of red and black fruit, spice, bbq, florals and a slightly green scent I associate with whole cluster fermentation (checked — 100% whole cluster).

Quite lithe for a Syrah, almost silky. Cool climate shows in texture and flavors as the palate follows the nose. Old word style with good acids. Crazy drinkable and it gets better with air. I can see this being a polarizing wine; if you’re looking for your Syrah to punch you in the face with flavor, this ain’t for you. But if you can appreciate complexity and finesse on a smaller frame this is drinking wonderfully right now.

Pair with barbecued salmon or roast chicken. (92 pts.)
Nøv¡¢k

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#207 Post by Sean_S » September 7th, 2018, 2:47 pm

Just bought some more 2011 and 2013 Fool's Journey Deux Vert Syrahs last week. Prices are too good to pass up.....

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Summit Rd, Redwood Estates, CA

Bob Hughes

#208 Post by Bob Hughes » September 28th, 2018, 11:48 am

Just pulled the cork on the newly-arrived 2016 Chardonnay Durant Vineyard.

As might be expected, still pretty primary, but I like the potential here. We get that typical struck match note on the nose, and the wine has good acidity and fruit on the palate.

I also put a 2016 Richard's in the fridge as well, and will get to that at some point over the weekend 😎

Bob Hughes

#209 Post by Bob Hughes » October 12th, 2018, 5:35 am

Opened a bottle of the 2016 Richard's Cuvée Chard last night - in a word, delicious. For a young wine, I didn't sense all the structure you normally get with Marcus' wines, but it's possible that it is currently overwhelmed by all that delicious fruit. As I posted in my note on CT, probably the best showing for the just-released vintage since I've started buying them (the 2013 vintage).

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#210 Post by Jim Stewart » October 12th, 2018, 6:02 am

A last gasp summer-like day Wednesday here in MA and we opened the bottle of Whistling Ridge Blanc 2017 that we brought back from our recent Oregon trip. A unpretentious ("non-AKC"), delicious wine. Lots of flavor. Believe it is dry, but has plenty of fruit and a sense of being a little sweet. (a “secish” demi-sec?). Enjoyed it. I am thinking that this would be a good Thanksgiving wine and appeal to both the casual and more demanding wine drinker.
Thoughts of a dry brain in a dry season.

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#211 Post by Sean_S » October 31st, 2018, 8:47 pm

• 2016 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Durant Vineyard - USA, Oregon (10/31/2018)
    Pobega'd from the UPS guy today. Crystal clear and a medium pale yellow in the glass. Green Apple, grapefruit, flint, and just a hint of caramel on the nose. Really starting to open up a bit after two hours. reduction is calming down and more ripe fruit coming out still with just a hint of caramel. Still tight and coiled. The palate starts with green apple and them some richness from the Malo and then bounces back and forth between the striking acidity and some caramel on the med long finish. This wine has a lean Chablis like character. Its young and tight and needs time. This may be my favorite Durant Chardonnay Marcus has made yet. Great QPR. Can't wait to see what this is like in 2-6 years. Diam 5 closure. 13% ABV. 140 cases produced.

Pairing well with Almond Joy's, KitKat's and Reese's peanut butter cups.

Happy Halloween!!!

IMO: The 2016 WV Chardonnay is drinking better at the moment. More subtle and integrated at this point. This wine has more potential long term.
    (92 pts.)

Brady Daniels

#212 Post by Brady Daniels » November 1st, 2018, 11:54 am

After a stop into Vinopolis, we just had our first Goodfellow, the 2015 WV Pinot at just over $20

This is the equivalent (not the same) as a brilliant Bourgogne from a ripe vintage, an inexpensive wine, approachable young, that hopefully shows the potential of the SVD’s. When I say it isn’t the same as Bourgogne, it is because it has more concentration and has a resin character, that I assume speak of WV 2015, not the Cote d’Or. Still the wine was relatively light in color, and delicious.

We will buy more, for sure, and hope to visit, if Marcus does that.

Now I need to find some older SVD’s to see how they age.

I know folks debate the quality and value of Oregon / California / Burgundy at the top end. I’ll just say that at the, say $20, entry level, I’m becoming convinced Oregon more than holds its own.
-Brady D on CT - Omnivinovore

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#213 Post by Jim Stewart » November 1st, 2018, 12:03 pm

Sean_S wrote:
October 31st, 2018, 8:47 pm
  • 2016 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Durant Vineyard - USA, Oregon (10/31/2018)
    Pobega'd from the UPS guy today. Crystal clear and a medium pale yellow in the glass. Green Apple, grapefruit, flint, and just a hint of caramel on the nose. Really starting to open up a bit after two hours. reduction is calming down and more ripe fruit coming out still with just a hint of caramel. Still tight and coiled. The palate starts with green apple and them some richness from the Malo and then bounces back and forth between the striking acidity and some caramel on the med long finish. This wine has a lean Chablis like character. Its young and tight and needs time. This may be my favorite Durant Chardonnay Marcus has made yet. Great QPR. Can't wait to see what this is like in 2-6 years. Diam 5 closure. 13% ABV. 140 cases produced.

Pairing well with Almond Joy's, KitKat's and Reese's peanut butter cups.

Happy Halloween!!!

IMO: The 2016 WV Chardonnay is drinking better at the moment. More subtle and integrated at this point. This wine has more potential long term.
    (92 pts.)
this made me smile . . . thank you

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#214 Post by Sean_S » November 15th, 2018, 10:19 pm

• 2011 Matello Pinot Noir Souris - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (11/15/2018)
    Similar to my last note. Delicious, a lovely restrained pinot. I get earthiness on the nose with slight hints of fruit. Overall the nose seems muted and the last bottle took hours to open up. My nose is messed up since Cali is burning and thats not helping. This wine has tons of life left in it. Strong earthy notes, tart cherry lead the palate. Vibrant acid and smooth tannins deliver a 30+ second finish. The acid lingers on long after that. Just seeming to turn the corner in to maturity. I would guess this will continue to drink well for at least another 5 years. Delicious, a lovely restrained pinot. (92 pts.)

My previous note.

A lot tight when opened and immediately after double decant. Coudn't decide if it was flawed. Let it open for 6 hours after double decant. Nose of black fruit started to appear. Tart cherry, earth and and tannins. Med long finish dancing between the acidic fruit and tannin. Would have guessed Burgundy blind. Doesn't remind me of domestic Pinot at all. My somm friend and I enjoyed the bottle tremendously. Incredible QPR. Glad I have a few more left....

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#215 Post by Sean_S » November 15th, 2018, 10:24 pm

October and November has been a good month so far. Cases from Vinopolis, Avalon, Goodfellow, Vincent recently and then Walter Scott just up today showed up today. Oh yeah and WineBid showed up today with some Vintage PGC pinots.

BTW: The 2017 crack is Rockin. Took a Buddy and I at work one afternoon all of maybe 30 minutes to kill the first bottle. I think I bought 4 but I need to buy more.

New Label, same crack.

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#216 Post by Scott Tallman » November 16th, 2018, 6:27 pm

Sean_S wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 10:24 pm
October and November has been a good month so far. Cases from Vinopolis, Avalon, Goodfellow, Vincent recently and then Walter Scott just up today showed up today. Oh yeah and WineBid showed up today with some Vintage PGC pinots.

BTW: The 2017 crack is Rockin. Took a Buddy and I at work one afternoon all of maybe 30 minutes to kill the first bottle. I think I bought 4 but I need to buy more.

New Label, same crack.
Agree wholeheartedly. Have tasted this a few times since release and if not for my buying embargo, would buy at least 6 bottles (I rarely buy more than 3 of any single wine). The 2 I have will have to suffice. And the new label is rad.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#217 Post by Jim Stewart » November 17th, 2018, 5:11 am

Sean_S wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 10:24 pm

New Label, same crack.
"crack" ????

JPWilley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#218 Post by JPWilley » November 18th, 2018, 4:41 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 5:11 am
"crack" ????
Goodfellow (formerly Matello?) Whistling Ridge Field Blend White. Delicious - fruity with well-balanced minerality. Amazing aroma of softer fruits (passion, pineapple, mango, etc) year in and year out. From the vineyard I want to buy when I hit MegaMillions. Excellent QPR (as is everything that Marcus sells).

It's been discussed in other threads, but short version of 2nd (if not 3rd or 4th) hand, apocryphal story - Someone hosting a dinner party and opens a bottle while cooking. By the time the guests arrive the bottle is empty and the host is completely sloshed. Host raises head from table, looks at guests and says "That wine is like crack".

For a better (and more correct) version of the story, go to the Bitter Monk and share a pint with Todd H.
Skewing old
Joe

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#219 Post by Jim Stewart » November 18th, 2018, 5:24 pm

[/
JPWilley wrote:
November 18th, 2018, 4:41 pm
Jim Stewart wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 5:11 am
"crack" ????
. . .Whistling Ridge Field Blend White. Delicious . . . By the time the guests arrive the bottle is empty and the host is completely sloshed. Host raises head from table, looks at guests and says "That wine is like crack".
. . .
I get it now! Thanks. (and I agree - see my post #210 on this thread)

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#220 Post by Scott Tallman » December 2nd, 2018, 7:22 pm

2012 Goodfellow Whistling Ridge Chardonnay. After a recent run of unimpressive 2012 Oregon Chardonnays (although in fairness some of these were corked), did not know what to expect from this bottle as I have not tried since release.

I should have know better due to Marcus’ track record for making long lived wines. While the other recent 2012 OR Chards tasted tired, this bottle tasted fresh and alive with many years ahead of it. Does not have the matchstick on the nose that I’ve come to associate with his WR Chard, but I believe that is due to winemaking changes starting in 2013 (Marcus - is that right?). Hints of lemon, sea breeze, apple, and quince that are seamlessly integrated. Great acid and medium/long finish. Great stuff.
CT - WestbyGod

rfelthoven

#221 Post by rfelthoven » December 3rd, 2018, 12:36 pm

I really love that '12. And I think you're right, Scott, that Marcus started trying to do some more "reductive" winemaking on the chard in 2013. I am personally torn about the flinty/matchstick character. It adds interest but I am also a tad distracted by it.
Ron

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#222 Post by Scott Tallman » December 3rd, 2018, 12:47 pm

rfelthoven wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 12:36 pm
I really love that '12. And I think you're right, Scott, that Marcus started trying to do some more "reductive" winemaking on the chard in 2013. I am personally torn about the flinty/matchstick character. It adds interest but I am also a tad distracted by it.
Your note on the reductive winemaking starting in earnest with 2013 is in line with my memory. Between the Goodfellow WR and some of the Walter Scott Chards, I’ve really come to love the matchstick, but can see how it could be distracting.

Glad I have one more bottle of the ‘12. It could go longer, but it’s so good now it may not last long.
CT - WestbyGod

rfelthoven

#223 Post by rfelthoven » December 3rd, 2018, 6:33 pm

I don't know if you have any Crowley Four Winds but I opened a '13 the other night in a blind set of 4 chards and it was the favorite of the group.
Ron

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#224 Post by Scott Tallman » December 3rd, 2018, 6:42 pm

rfelthoven wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 6:33 pm
I don't know if you have any Crowley Four Winds but I opened a '13 the other night in a blind set of 4 chards and it was the favorite of the group.
I do. Love that wine, although recently had both the ‘11 and ‘12 and found them both tired and lacking in the verve and energy I associate with the wine. Have a few ‘13s, so will crack one soon.
CT - WestbyGod

Marcus Goodfellow

#225 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » December 5th, 2018, 11:38 am

Scott, I had the 12 Four Winds about 4 months ago and it was in a great spot. I thought it was Muersault...
I have a few of those still(Tyson and I usually trade 2-3 cases each vintage) so hopefully it was just a singular off bottle.

I realy am not a huge fan of 2011 for Oregon Chardonnay. I’m sure that’s not helped by the 2010 vintage being one of the very best vintages for OR Chardonnay(IMO).

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#226 Post by Scott Tallman » December 5th, 2018, 1:36 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 11:38 am
Scott, I had the 12 Four Winds about 4 months ago and it was in a great spot. I thought it was Muersault...
I have a few of those still(Tyson and I usually trade 2-3 cases each vintage) so hopefully it was just a singular off bottle.

I realy am not a huge fan of 2011 for Oregon Chardonnay. I’m sure that’s not helped by the 2010 vintage being one of the very best vintages for OR Chardonnay(IMO).
I still have one bottle of ‘12 Four Winds, so hope it redeems the off bottle.

I really liked a lot of the ‘11 Chards early on, but with the exception of a few, the ones I’ve had have not aged well.
CT - WestbyGod

Return to “Wine Talk”