What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1 Post by Scott Tallman » January 19th, 2017, 8:04 pm

Thought Marcus' wines deserved a thread similar to Bedrock and other CA board favs and wanted to end the thread drift I helped contribute to in the Love & Squalor thread about the Goodfellow 2014 and 2015 OPNC Willamette Valley Pinot Noir - http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 1&t=127485.

Last night I thoroughly enjoyed the 2014 Matello Caprice (80% Pinot Blanc/20% Pinot Gris). I've really enjoyed OR Pinot Blanc from Walter Scott, Paetra and Cameron, but this was first PB from Marcus. It had the characteristic pear notes and lean minerality with the Pinot Gris providing a bit of heft. Seemed like it would be good for a few more years despite drinking well now. For the club price I paid, I need to procure more of this! Marcus, what are the Vineyard sources and will there be a 2015 bottling?

A few weeks ago had the 2013 Goodfellow "Clover" Pinot Gris Reserve. While I find most PGs fairly uninspiring (Belle Pente being an exception), this was really nice and structured unlike others I've had with a creaminess that is just right for me and evident tannins. Felt like this bottle has better years ahead of it. Another fantastic QPR for me.

Have much more experience with Marcus' reds than whites other than Chardonnay, but these wines remind me that I've yet to have a bottle of his wine that I did not enjoy and that his whites, like his reds, are meant to age.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Scott Everson

#2 Post by Scott Everson » January 19th, 2017, 11:41 pm

Whatever, I'll drift with the first response. I was at Whole Foods today, and there was a 2015 Goodfellow WV, and a 2014 PG WV Reserve, each for $22, and wondered which one would be better. Maybe to crossed the years around, I don't think so though. [cheers.gif]

rfelthoven

#3 Post by rfelthoven » January 20th, 2017, 1:10 am

Tonight had a 2013 Matello WV Pinot. Only a couple left yet so many great years ahead. I like this better than the current year Goodfellow offering because of its zing.
Ron

Bob Hughes

#4 Post by Bob Hughes » January 20th, 2017, 4:33 am

I'm still relatively new to Marcus' wines, so the only thing I've had that I can recall have been his Chardonnays (although I may have tried his Pinots at one of Rich Trimpi's Blind Pinot gatherings).

I haven't purchased any of his other whites yet, or his Syrah, for that matter, but will be trying to "expand my palate" the next time the newsletter comes out.

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Richard T r i m p i » January 20th, 2017, 5:21 am

Drink? I mostly just cellar them! Not to mention that the cellar is currently almost as big a mess as Bob Hughes'. [wink.gif]

It'd be a smart move to scrounge out some of the whites, not that there's a hurry. I've pummeled so many WV Pinot bottles that I could very well be out.

RT

mmeyers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by mmeyers » January 20th, 2017, 5:34 am

I'm in the same category, having had much more experience with the Goodfellow pinot, but did enjoy the one Clover pinot gris I've had as well. Agree with you on the QPR.

Slight drift....if you haven't had it before, I'd suggest the Eyrie original vines pinot gris. Kind of goes without saying that wine from the first PG vines planted in Oregon (? maybe even the first in the US) would generate a pretty solid product....I've found it to be a really structured but bright wine with a lot of character....although not as great a QPR.

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Scott Tallman » January 20th, 2017, 6:53 am

Richard T r i m p i wrote:Drink? I mostly just cellar them!
I'm with you on the reds, but we all need to check in on bottles from time to time!

Speaking of reds, over the holidays I conducted a blind tasting of 2008 Syrahs with friends, including the Matello Fool's Journey (Full disclosure: Marcus gifted me this bottle) and two well-liked Washington producers (Reynvaan The Contender and Rotie Cellars Northern Blend). The Matello was the unanimous favorite and is much less $ than the others. The others seemed at peak or slightly past, while the Matello had plenty of life left and improved considerably over the evening. Like Marcus' other wines definitely needs time, but is as close to a N Rhone ringer that I've had in the US.
CT - WestbyGod

rfelthoven

#8 Post by rfelthoven » January 20th, 2017, 7:44 am

I had a 2011 Matello Durant Chardonnay that was amazing after about an hour of air. Really compelling stuff that has developed considerably since release.
Ron

Corey N.

#9 Post by Corey N. » January 20th, 2017, 7:47 am

rfelthoven wrote:I had a 2011 Matello Durant Chardonnay that was amazing after about an hour of air. Really compelling stuff that has developed considerably since release.
I think pretty much ALL of Marcus' wines perform better with a good dose of air.
Nøv¡¢k

Todd Hamina
Subscriber
<dfn>Subscriber</dfn>

#10 Post by Todd Hamina » January 20th, 2017, 8:00 am

The crack. 3 left.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Richard T r i m p i » January 20th, 2017, 8:06 am

Todd Hamina wrote:The crack. 3 left.
Your crack? or they're crack?

RT

Todd Hamina
Subscriber
<dfn>Subscriber</dfn>

#12 Post by Todd Hamina » January 20th, 2017, 8:11 am

The Crack, aka whistling ridge white.
-BiggioHamina

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by dsGriswold » January 20th, 2017, 8:50 am

This may be the first Matello I bought, probably from Michael @ Story Teller. The rest is as they say history.
2009 Matello Whistling Ridge Vineyard Ribbon Ridge White Blend
11/28/2010 - I WROTE: 90 points
While I do not know how this wine showed up in my daughter's NYC home, and I do not remember sending it. My wife loved it and said buy a case. Off dry, fruity. Very nice and smooth with Riesling showing fruit predominant over acid. Nearing a light Auslese, super QPR. Now to find some more!
DennisG

Alan Gottlieb

#14 Post by Alan Gottlieb » January 20th, 2017, 9:21 am

2012 Pinot Whistling Ridge that was soooo good last week

Corey N.

#15 Post by Corey N. » January 20th, 2017, 9:25 am

dsGriswold wrote:This may be the first Matello I bought, probably from Michael @ Story Teller. The rest is as they say history.
While I do not know how this wine showed up in my daughter's NYC home, and I do not remember sending it. My wife loved it and said buy a case. Off dry, fruity. Very nice and smooth with Riesling showing fruit predominant over acid. Nearing a light Auslese, super QPR. Now to find some more!
I love Marcus' wines and I'm not knocking your note, but color me surprised by the bolded part above. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. That said, if Marcus made a Riesling, I'd definitely want to try it.
Nøv¡¢k

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Scott Tallman » January 20th, 2017, 9:35 am

Corey N. wrote:
dsGriswold wrote:This may be the first Matello I bought, probably from Michael @ Story Teller. The rest is as they say history.
I love Marcus' wines and I'm not knocking your note, but color me surprised by the bolded part above. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. That said, if Marcus made a Riesling, I'd definitely want to try it.
He does not make a 100% Riesling (that I'm aware of), but his Whistling Ridge White blend includes Riesling. I've not had the 2010, but the 2007 discussed in this thread - http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... e#p2151252 - reminded me somewhat of an aged Auslese (was impacted by botrytis though so likely not representative of this bottling from other vintages).
CT - WestbyGod

PrestonS

#17 Post by PrestonS » January 20th, 2017, 9:37 am

Corey N. wrote:
I'm going to try out my jedi skills on Marcus. Marcus will make a riesling soon. Yes, he will! [dance-clap.gif].
PrestonS

Corey N.

#18 Post by Corey N. » January 20th, 2017, 9:45 am

Scott Tallman wrote:He does not make a 100% Riesling (that I'm aware of), but his Whistling Ridge White blend includes Riesling. I've not had the 2010, but the 2007 discussed in this thread - http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... e#p2151252 - reminded me somewhat of an aged Auslese (was impacted by botrytis though so likely not representative of this bottling from other vintages).
Scott, I've had the Whistling Ridge White, but I just don't recall it being anywhere near an aged Auslese in terms of sweetness (even though the sweetness recedes in older Riesling).
Nøv¡¢k

Todd Hamina
Subscriber
<dfn>Subscriber</dfn>

#19 Post by Todd Hamina » January 20th, 2017, 10:15 am

The Crack name comes from a story of a nice young Lady who was hosting a dinner party. She opened a bottle while prepping it all and by the time her guests arrived she'd drained it. She was befuddled and when asked why she kept drinking it replied that it was crack and couldn't leave it be.
-BiggioHamina

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Rick Allen » January 20th, 2017, 10:29 am

We had a 2014 WV Chardonnay the other night. I didn't buy enough...

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by dsGriswold » January 20th, 2017, 11:46 am

That Matello note was 6 years old and not what I find in the wines I drink now, nor expect. That was warm vintage and Marcus has a much better memory than I do and could possibly add some insight. The note was written after a large ThxG dinner, I do remember the wine was very popular and if my wife liked it, it was not sweet. She likes her Riesling bone dry and I can appreciate some rs. [cheers.gif]
BTW, we will be drinking numerous Matello/Goodfellow wines, my daughter and her husband like them and my wife is coming around nicely due to peer pressure. [drinkers.gif]
DennisG

rfelthoven

#22 Post by rfelthoven » January 20th, 2017, 11:53 am

Scott Tallman wrote: He does not make a 100% Riesling (that I'm aware of), but his Whistling Ridge White blend includes Riesling. I've not had the 2010, but the 2007 discussed in this thread - http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... e#p2151252 - reminded me somewhat of an aged Auslese (was impacted by botrytis though so likely not representative of this bottling from other vintages).
I agree with Scott -- the 2007 was the only one of his WR whites I've had that came off as sweet. It was a super interesting wine but it had a soapy flavor (to me) that I didn't like. Everyone else I've spoken to absolutely loves the stuff.
Ron

Marcus Goodfellow

#23 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 21st, 2017, 9:24 am

You guys have really made my day :)

...and I am making a couple of last minute switches to the BD offers. The last Riesling I made was in 2012, from some old vines at Ana vineyard and a tiny little Chehalem Mtn vineyard called Carey Creek. I'm down to the last 3 boxes(it was basically the house Riesling for Ken's Artisan Pizza in PDX) but I will make sure the white wine 6pack has a bottle in it. It's off dry, more Kabinett/Spatlese in style, with the acid to match the RS and an ABV of 10.5%...and as is typical of my wines it's really just at the front end of drinking really well.

As to the Auslese note, the 09 Whistling Ridge Blanc is drier but as Dennis noted it's a warm vintage and there's a lot of richness and fruit presence to the wine.

The 2006(first vintage) and 2007 were both a little higher RS, and with 2008 going forward this wine is typically under 1% RS. The 2015 is 5.9 g/l RS, pH of 3.1 so there's plenty of acid to balance the wine, and will definitely reward patience over the next 10-12 years. Although most people just don't cellar "the crack".

Travis Fantz

#24 Post by Travis Fantz » January 21st, 2017, 11:02 am

Marcus which was the Riesling you made in half bottles that we poured at the ship years ago?

As much as I love the Chardonnay he makes, I love his Riesling just as much. It is very representative of the vintage when he decides to make it. I tried to buy a case of the one he speaks of a month or so ago but never followed up. My loss. These are his wines i don't have in the cellar.
HS Math Teacher (old ITB)

Marcus Goodfellow

#25 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 21st, 2017, 1:52 pm

Travis-that was from 2007. Late harvest botrytised fruit from Whistling Ridge. Really optimal stuff, picked in November and definitely more Auslese as far as RS goes.

Corey N.

#26 Post by Corey N. » January 21st, 2017, 1:58 pm

Thinking of popping a 2013 Richard's Cuvee Chardonnay tomorrow. I want to pop a note up in advance of BerserkerDay, plus it will help me make some decisions.

Drinking/planning to drink...close enough.
Nøv¡¢k

Todd Hamina
Subscriber
<dfn>Subscriber</dfn>

#27 Post by Todd Hamina » January 21st, 2017, 3:03 pm

This reminds me we need to trade boxes again, maybe after get me Gew going.
-BiggioHamina

Marcus Goodfellow

#28 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 21st, 2017, 7:27 pm

Ping me when you're ready Todd.

Corey, the 2013 Richard's is in a good spot right now. We used it for oysters at a dinner a couple of weeks ago and that was about perfect for a pairing.

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by ky1em!ttskus » January 21st, 2017, 8:22 pm

Check. Matello whites are on my BD radar. :)

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by PeterH » January 21st, 2017, 8:29 pm

I thought Marcus must have made a Riesling, unless the one in my cellar is a Rudy wine.

What I've been drinking are the Clover Pinot Gris. I know they will be better with age, but I can't keep the corks in the bottle.

P Hickner
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

rfelthoven

#31 Post by rfelthoven » January 22nd, 2017, 8:31 am

Enjoyed a magnum of 2007 Matello Souris last night. Silky now, in a really nice place. Cherry and cinnamon for days.
Ron

dougwilder

#32 Post by dougwilder » January 22nd, 2017, 5:02 pm

The 2014 Goodfellow releases caught my attention, none more than the Chardonnay from Whistling Ridge Vineyard. One of the nicest surprises out of Oregon for me.
itb

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#33 Post by Jim Anderson » January 22nd, 2017, 8:14 pm

Got a bottle of 2011 Souris tonight. I have the luxury of getting to trade with Marcus so I get a case a year on swap. This bottle is drinking very nicely. Rich within the context of the vintage. Has the spicy, wiry 2011 thing going on. Nice structure and a little pleasant bittering quality to the tannins that helps with complexity and serves as a bridge from fruit to earthiness. Even with a NY steak it does just fine. I'm sure this will be a nice starlet for several years.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

rfelthoven

#34 Post by rfelthoven » January 23rd, 2017, 8:52 am

Jim Anderson wrote:Got a bottle of 2011 Souris tonight. I have the luxury of getting to trade with Marcus so I get a case a year on swap. This bottle is drinking very nicely. Rich within the context of the vintage. Has the spicy, wiry 2011 thing going on. Nice structure and a little pleasant bittering quality to the tannins that helps with complexity and serves as a bridge from fruit to earthiness. Even with a NY steak it does just fine. I'm sure this will be a nice starlet for several years.
I had the 2011 Durant Pinot about two weeks ago and it was also showing very nicely, giving off some classic Dundee Hills character. I've had it alongside the 2011 Souris on a few occasions and it has consistently been a bit more forward. I've been on the fence about starting to open my 2011's but for the most part they are starting to yield. I would generally say that if you have 3 or more of something it's reasonable to check in, but if you have less wait another couple of years.
Ron

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Scott Tallman » January 23rd, 2017, 9:24 am

rfelthoven wrote:
Jim Anderson wrote:I've been on the fence about starting to open my 2011's but for the most part they are starting to yield. I would generally say that if you have 3 or more of something it's reasonable to check in, but if you have less wait another couple of years.
Thanks for this. I've 2 each of the '11 SVDs and Souris and was leaning towards waiting at least 2 more years, but was itching to open one this year. Will wait.
CT - WestbyGod

rfelthoven

#36 Post by rfelthoven » January 23rd, 2017, 9:48 am

Scott Tallman wrote:
rfelthoven wrote:
Jim Anderson wrote:I've been on the fence about starting to open my 2011's but for the most part they are starting to yield. I would generally say that if you have 3 or more of something it's reasonable to check in, but if you have less wait another couple of years.
Thanks for this. I've 2 each of the '11 SVDs and Souris and was leaning towards waiting at least 2 more years, but was itching to open one this year. Will wait.
I am sure you know this, but of the SVD's the Whistling Ridge demands the most patience. So if you're going to wait on anything, wait on that one.
Ron

Marcus Goodfellow

#37 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 23rd, 2017, 9:54 am

rfelthoven wrote:
Jim Anderson wrote:Got a bottle of 2011 Souris tonight. I have the luxury of getting to trade with Marcus so I get a case a year on swap. This bottle is drinking very nicely. Rich within the context of the vintage. Has the spicy, wiry 2011 thing going on. Nice structure and a little pleasant bittering quality to the tannins that helps with complexity and serves as a bridge from fruit to earthiness. Even with a NY steak it does just fine. I'm sure this will be a nice starlet for several years.
I had the 2011 Durant Pinot about two weeks ago and it was also showing very nicely, giving off some classic Dundee Hills character. I've had it alongside the 2011 Souris on a few occasions and it has consistently been a bit more forward. I've been on the fence about starting to open my 2011's but for the most part they are starting to yield. I would generally say that if you have 3 or more of something it's reasonable to check in, but if you have less wait another couple of years.
I'm of the same mind. The first few years, the Willamette Valley 2011s required some faith, and now the light at the end of the tunnel is in sight but another 12-36 months seems worth the wait.

Marcus Goodfellow

#38 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 23rd, 2017, 9:57 am

Scott-if you're down for the Chardonnay celebration we should get a few people together, grab dinner and pull a few corks. I'm happy to open something from 2011.

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Richard T r i m p i » January 23rd, 2017, 10:21 am

Matello/Goodfellow SVD Reds from 2011 & 2013. Shhhhh.

RT

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Scott Tallman » January 23rd, 2017, 10:39 am

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:Scott-if you're down for the Chardonnay celebration we should get a few people together, grab dinner and pull a few corks. I'm happy to open something from 2011.
I will be down for that weekend. Will touch base soon to figure out best time for everyone.
CT - WestbyGod

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Scott Tallman » January 23rd, 2017, 10:41 am

Ron - agree with you on WR. I have a 2007 and 2009 that I probably won't touch for awhile, although the '09 will be opened first. For the '11s will crack Durant first.
CT - WestbyGod

Corey N.

#42 Post by Corey N. » January 23rd, 2017, 5:00 pm

• 2013 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Richard's Cuvee - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (1/23/2017)
    Pale yellow color with a nose of matchstick and yellow apples.

The flavors follow the nose on pop and pour, but with significant aeration, the reductive notes recede and the wine shows intense lemon and minerality with a lengthy finish. The wine holds up well on the second day, with the reductive notes on the nose/palate diminishing a bit more. There's good acidity and a nice savoriness, which is a quality I don't often note in a white wine. The oak is in the far background, despite being 50% new. Still a baby and while approachable now, this will get better with more sleep. Should have an extended drinking window estimated at 2018 - 2028.

13.1%abv, 275 cases made. (92 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

My drinking windows may be off a bit, it wouldn't surprise me if this wine could shine at age 20. I like this a lot; a nice blend of new world fruit and old world wine-making.
Nøv¡¢k

Robert A. Ashley

#43 Post by Robert A. Ashley » January 24th, 2017, 5:16 am

Durant vineyard chardonnay

Bill Mauger
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Bill Mauger » January 24th, 2017, 5:29 pm

Wow - walked into my "Big Box" store in South Denver today to pick up a bottle of Scotch for a friends birthday. Look what I found on the shelves! Couldn't help myself but picked up 6 of each.

Feel guilty for not purchasing from Marcus directly - unfortunately missed him in Oct when making the Eugene to Seattle trek showing my junior colleges in the Pacific Northwest. Our visit with him in the fall of 2015 was special!

I have 6 13 Richard's and now 6 of the 13 Durant Chard - I believe I will pop them with an appropriate dinner this weekend for fun - question is it too early?

Also, dying to try the 14 WV as even the price here in CO could justify making this a house wine in due time. What about the checking in on the 13 Durant PN?

Also, I have been disciplined in not opening any of our purchases except for 1 12 Fools Journey and several 14 "crack" which I was able to reload on BD last year along with the six pack library selection.

I can hardly wait to see the BD offerings this year and truly look forward to my next visit which cannot be scheduled soon enough!

Happy Times!

PS the e-mail with the notes on each wine from the library 6 pack last year has each bottle gathering dust in perfect conditions.
Attachments
IMG_2034.JPG
IMG_2034.JPG (29.26 KiB) Viewed 3141 times

Travis Fantz

#45 Post by Travis Fantz » January 24th, 2017, 6:18 pm

Not too early Bill. Great picks. Just make sure they get to warm up a little if you have them from the fridge.
HS Math Teacher (old ITB)

Bill Mauger
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Bill Mauger » January 24th, 2017, 6:34 pm

Thanks Travis! Will definitely let the wines come to a good temp - appreciate the advice.

Brandon J.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Brandon J. » January 24th, 2017, 7:44 pm

Marcus' wines are made to go the distance but I think his chards are a little bit more open for business compared to his pinots.

'13 is a great pinot vintage and if you can help yourself, hold onto those for at least 4-5 more years. Maybe open one now if you must and one in 3 years then wait for 5-8 years for the remaining. You won't regret it.

I don't know what Marcus will think but buying his wine from big box stores helps too. If his distributor's customers are happy that means he will not have issues offloading future vintages. Maybe that's not the right logic though?
John sen

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by dsGriswold » January 24th, 2017, 8:35 pm

I've been a little lax in buying Marcus's '14s which I need to rectify shortly. The '14s that I have started drinking have been a perfect fit for my palate. The last vintage I liked as well was the '10 which are mostly gone. I mostly started buying with the '11 and loaded up on '13 & '14. A lotta good wines in the cellar. [cheers.gif]
DennisG

Michael Davidson

#49 Post by Michael Davidson » January 24th, 2017, 10:47 pm

Opened a 2015 PCC WV Pinot last night. Yesterday it was okay, a bit thin, sour cherry and earth. One night on the counter transformed it into a raspberry inflected elegant pinot. The ripe vintages play so well into Marcus's style. Definitely going back for more.

Marcus Goodfellow

#50 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 25th, 2017, 2:00 pm

Bill Mauger wrote:Thanks Travis! Will definitely let the wines come to a good temp - appreciate the advice.
Have fun with those! I think the Clover Pinot Gris is in a great spot right now.

Return to “Wine Talk”