TN: Sparky Celebrates his "Double Nickel" - quick Paso tasting

I wanna be Ken Zinn when I grow up!

SPARKY CELEBRATES HIS “DOUBLE NICKEL” - Paso Robles, California (1/16/2017-1/18/2017)

Nobody calls him Sparky except me, but that’s OK, the nickname came about in college and using it stirs up fond memories and reminds me that I’ve know Doug for 36 years. That’s how time flies and you end up with a 55th birthday.

Betty and Chris deserve all the credit for organizing this trip as it was a team effort. Doug and I did our part by staying out of the way and saying “Yes, dear” or “Sounds good to us” as deemed appropriate. We’re no dummies.

We wrestled with where to visit and Paso Robles was an obvious choice since Chris and I have been trying to get back up there and Doug and Betty have never been before. Plus, it’s sorta halfway in between for all parties. The girls settled on Croad Vineyards as the place to stay and it worked out very well. I have to admit, never heard of the place, but the guest suites are located in a large house with a huge kitchen and living room. A great spot for hanging around watching the NFL playoffs, throwing a few logs in the fireplace, and ordering takeout after long day of winding through the vineyards.

A couple of nice touches are nightly wines accompanied with a cheese plater as well as breakfast, included everyday. I’d definitely recommend the place to others and the fact that it sits on the corner of Highway 46 and Vineyard Drive means you’re right in the heat of the action.

I’m a little bummed as I didn’t get a picture of Bambi, the deer which wanders the property. I was so excited when I was unloading the car that I saw a deer I ran back up to the room to find Chris to show her and Marina the tasting room manager. Come to find out you can actually pet the deer. Marina told me Bambi jumped out in front of a winery worker’s truck one day and he clipped her. So he loaded Bambi up in the back and brought her to the winery. Now Bambi just hangs out and enjoys the good life on the property.

A quick comment on the wineries we visited. There wasn’t much thought around it other than “I’ve heard this was good” or “I want to try this place” so we flexible and made a few last minute decisions along the way. It worked out well. Side note: there are a LOT of new wineries since the last time we visited, shocking really, and all seemed to be fairly attended for being “off season”.

Croad Vineyards
The tasting room is 50 feet from the guest house so your first tasting starts minutes after you checkin. Or as in my case, while I checked in. The tasting room is beautiful. I’d describe it as a combination of Spanish architecture meets hunting lodge. The views from the property are probably some of the best in Paso Robles, rolling hills and vineyards for as far as the eyes can see to the south. There’s tons of space and a roaring fire going all day surrounded by big leather chairs and a couch. The entire area is patrolled by the hairiest and most loving orphan cat which has the personality of a dog. A perfect spot for a wedding, actually.

OK, back to the wines… I think everything Martin Croad does is estate fruit and while a couple of the wines were decent it wouldn’t be a recommended stop for tasting in my humble opinion. In general, there’s a bit of residual sugar in the wines and a few crossed the line for Betty and myself.

• 2010 Croad Vineyards Mourvedre - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    Cherry colored and good clarity. Dark red plum flavors, a bit ripe. Probably the best in the lineup of pure varietals. I enjoyed this one.
  • 2011 Croad Vineyards Syrah Silver Fern Series - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    I didn’t like this one as it had an odd flavor that I couldn’t identify. It wasn’t flawed. They use a combination of French and Hungarian oak, maybe it’s the Hungarian oak which adds a pepper and dill note.
  • 2010 Croad Vineyards Atua - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    Had a classic Napa Bordeaux blend aroma. Flavorful cassis but sweet and medium plus toasted oak note. Good structure. OK
  • 2012 Croad Vineyards Taranaki - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    Cellartracker has this labeled a red rhone blend but it’s Zinfandel and Mourvèdre. Interesting in a good way. Tangy with medium oak and raspberry / red fruit are abundant.
  • 2011 Croad Vineyards Zinfandel Pure - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    Decent wine. Concentrated fruity nose and ripe plum and raspberry. Seems a bit boozy with a prevalent glycerin mouthfeel. Tied for best in the lineup with the Mourvèdre.
  • 2010 Croad Vineyards Zinfandel Kahurangi Late Harvest - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    Not good. Kind of in between a classic dessert wine and something with too much residual sugar that didn’t complete primary fermentation. Since there’s only one vintage I’m guessing the later happened to a barrel and they special bottled it.
  • 2014 Croad Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc - USA, California, Central Coast, Monterey (1/18/2017)
    Oh my, this is very very sweet. Way too much and it loses any characteristics of a classic Sauvignon Blanc. Very low acidity, heavy mouthfeel. Reminds me of something from Temecula, not in a good way. Betty and I dumped ours.

Asuncion Ridge, Dinner, and Karaoke
After whittling down dinner reservations to a select few the final choice was Buena Tavola based on a recommendation by Martin from Chroad. He eats there 2-3 times a week so I guess he really likes the place. First we started off with a quick tasting in downtown Paso on the square at Acusion. Nice place but just okay wines and the “Reserve Flight” didn’t seem any better than the regular except it cost twice as much.

Dinner reservations were for 7:30pm and I use that term loosely as the couple seated at our table before us decided they wanted to talk after their meal, and talk and talk… Fortunately we were anchored in the bar experimenting with speciality cocktails and Aperol Spritzers in keeping with the northern Italian theme. After a few strategically placed “stink eyes” the people freed up our table. The restaurant is very popular and has a strong local following too. I really like it, I think we all did.

Betty heard that Friday nights are Karaoke Night at the Pine Street Saloon just a block off the main square so we strolled over to check it out. This is a locals joint, think Star Wars bar meets Paso. A little bit of everything for everyone. There were a few people that could really sing. I’m not one of them and Karaoke is a spectator sport for me. Well, Betty signed us up and the next thing I know I’m singing Sweet Home Alabama as Doug’s wingman to a standing room only audience. Heck, I can’t leave a brother hanging on his birthday. My gift to you.

• 2015 Asuncion Ridge Viognier Asuncion Ridge - USA, California, Central Coast, San Luis Obispo County (1/18/2017)
    Pretty light in color, even for a Viognier but smells like it in the glass. Even a little creamy. Big palate, salted butter and medium acid. This must have seen full malo as it’s in more of a Rombauer Chardonnay style. Not bad, just atypical. Chris enjoyed this quite a bit and I thought is was good.
  • 2013 Asuncion Ridge Pinot Noir Asuncion Ridge - USA, California, Central Coast, San Luis Obispo County (1/18/2017)
    Drinking well. Nicely built wine. Attractive nose, perfume, and a slight candied hint. Good tart fruit palate of red berry. I liked this better than the PN served in the reserve flight. I mentioned that and the gal working the tasting room said “yeah, me too.” Sometimes more isn’t more…
  • 2013 Asuncion Ridge Salacious - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    Definitely in the camp of big style GSM. I detected an attractive tobacco note underlying the black fruit.
  • 2013 Asuncion Ridge Lascivious - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    This vintage is a red blend of 60% CS, 20% Mourvèdre, and 20% Syrah. Very dark, not surprising, and the Cabernet shows through with cassis initially but it has a real Petite Sirah sort of mid/late finish with blue fruit. Medium acidity.

Halter Ranch
I overheard a couple staying at our place that they had done the cave tour at Halter Ranch. What? What cave? I didn’t know they have a cave. So I called first thing Saturday morning and they told me they were all booked up. Really? No way to fit in four more? After all, it’s Sparky’s 55th birthday. The guy was great and said “If you can be here in 45 minutes I’ll let you in my tour.” Boom! Off we go.

What happens when a guy worth $20B buys a winery in Paso Robles? It looks like something straight out of Napa. The old Halter farm house and barn along the road are still there but now you drive around and wind your way to the back of the property where they’ve built a huge state of the art winery, tasting room, and cave. It looks like a resort in Aspen, amazing.

We start the tour with a little history lesson of the property and the owner. I really didn’t hear much after he said the owner was worth $20B. Something about the owner being into land conservation, loves wine, and he’s from Switzerland but that was about it.

Then it’s off to the winery. Wow, it’s impressive. German engineering and precision applied to the art of fermented grape juice. It’s like Lean manufacturing and Six Sigma had a baby together in a stainless steel and timber post beam cathedral. Our guide runs through the steps that result in grapes turning to wine and then down to the barrel room where they rack and stack them.

Next we exit the winery via the back wall which is the cave entrance. Jeez… They actually hired a Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) like the ones used in Europe to dig there two half circle wine caves. You gotta love the Swiss, if there’s a mountain or a mole hill, they’re gonna dig a tunnel. I don’t remember the exact length of the two tunnels but it I’m guessing less than 20% of capacity is currently used.

While walking through the tunnel we’re lectured on the various brands, styles and types of oak barrels. We eventually pop out right at the rear entrance to the magnificent tasting room. Not a coincidence, I’m sure. Let’s drink.

• 2015 Halter Ranch Grenache Blanc - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles Adelaida District (1/18/2017)
    Nice perfume, flowers, and honey aromas. Flavor profile is primarily lemon with other citrus notes. Huge foundation of acid running through the palate. Very good. I purchased a bottle which we’ll enjoy when the weather warms up.
  • 2014 Halter Ranch CDP - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    Crimson colored. Very aromatic nose. Dark Cherry / red berry with a good chalky backbone. Finishes with a bite of white pepper / warm spices. Good stuff.
  • 2014 Halter Ranch Syrah - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles Adelaida District (1/18/2017)
    This is classic California Syrah done well. Fairly opaque. Chocolate nose. Dark blackberry flavors combined with Cracker Barrel sausage, meaty. Real deal here.
  • 2014 Halter Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    Medium+ depth of color, the PV at work here. Light barrel toast right from the start. Typical cassis / red berries with a good mineral note. Surprisingly approachable for a '14 with 7% Petit Verdot.
  • 2014 Halter Ranch Ancestor - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    This is a cranked up version of the house Cabernet with 18% Petit Verdot. It adds much more tannins and structure. This will mature nicely. There’s blueberry and mocha in abundance with a medium plus toasty finish. Comes off as a bit aggressive at this age, which is understandable and warranted.

Oso Libre
This was on my list and Betty’s recommendation she received while researching places. I knew a little about them as a family member belongs to their club and talked about them. The place is old school Paso Robles, which I like. Family run, the tasting room is at the end of a dirt road overlooking a small estate vineyard surrounded by a handful of cows and a few alpacas chewing away at the fresh green grass from the recent rains. Nothing fancy, a few picnic tables and old barrels outside, if you prefer, or a tasting bar inside. We decided to enjoy the sun and the scenery. The place is relaxing, very relaxing, and I enjoyed the atmosphere.

• 2014 Oso Libre Viognier Volado - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    Previous vintages were Paso fruit but this year is 100% Santa Rita Hills. Good tasting wine. Lemon, chalk, sea shells, and a waxy mouthfeel. Medium acid. Full mouthfeel.
  • 2012 Oso Libre Zinfandel Osezno - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    Sourced from La Vista vineyard in Paso. A little cloudy, maybe they’re not fining? No problem, either way. Strawberry/zin fruit flavors with dark plum. Touch of light pepper at the finish and the tannins are fairly resolved at this point. Soft mouthfeel.
  • 2011 Oso Libre Cabernet Sauvignon Quixotic - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    A little too ripe, suffers from the cherry jolly rancher candy thing. Quite spicy mid palate and a real noticeable jalapeño bite at the finish.
  • 2012 Oso Libre Cabernet Sauvignon Quixotic - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    This wine isn’t released yet and as they poured the wine she stated “This is our 2011 Quixotic”. Hey, the bottle says 2012? Oops, they mistakenly pulled a case of this into the tasting room. I like this better than the '11 which was too candied for my taste. Red cherry, earthy note, and vanilla underpinnings. This is a decent wine.

Aron Hill
As we tasted into the afternoon it became quite apparent food was required. Why doesn’t someone open a delicatessen on Vineyard Rd? They’d be rich selling sandwiches and munchies to the passerby buses loaded with buzzed up wine tourists. We heard AronHill served panini sandwiches rumored to be fairly decent and it was on the way to one of the wineries on our bucket list. Kind of funny, the view from the winery looked straight out and across Highway 46 at our guest house at Croad on the next hill over.

The paninis were okay and little expensive but we’re in no position to negotiate at this point. We must eat. Straight to the point: this is an easy pass just based on the price alone. I thought the wines were decent, the girls didn’t enjoy them as much, but money talks.

• 2010 Aron Hill Vineyards Primitivo - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    This was OK for a basic zin but I nearly choked on my panini when I saw the retail price of $40. Thanks, but I’ll pass.
  • 2015 Aron Hill Vineyards Primitivo PrimRose - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    This is actually labeled as primativo, which is the Italian equivalent of Zinfandel. Medium dark for a rose. Strawberry, fruity, red berries, yet probably dry. Not too bad.
  • NV Aron Hill Vineyards Berrichon - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    Classic BDX varietals in this blend. The black currant flavor is very nice. Tannins are angular and firm. Good balance.
  • NV Kickass Wines Britchen Red - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    Really? The name alone is enough to make me want to stop. Red cherry flavor and again nice balance.

Windward
I had this on my list to hit up. Not many people make Pinot Noir in Paso and even fewer make a decent one. Windward advertises the fact that they do Pinot “exclusively”. Alright then, I’m in. They guy that owns the place obviously has an obsession with Pinot, who can blame him, and right behind the tasting bar is an empty bottle of Domaine Romanee Conti encased in a wooden box like a shire to Burgundy and the Pinot Noir Mecca.

I was impressed with the wines, they primarily stayed away from the high cherry notes, does not fine or filter. The only “red flag” for me is how does he get 13.8% with fruit grown only a mile or so west of Highway 101? It doesn’t make sense unless this wine makes a trip through the spin cones to take out some the alcohol. We’ll never know…

• 2015 Windward Vineyard Pinot Noir Vin Gris de Pinot Noir - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    Burnt orange color. Lots of herbs and rose petals. Hint of metallic and oxidation. This is a very good wine. Not necessarily a crowd pleaser but heck of a Vin Gris and very old world style. Nicely done.
  • 2014 Windward Vineyard Pinot Noir Monopole - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    What a treat to find this style of Pinot Noir hiding in Paso. Hint of reduction on the nose and mushroom. This caught my attention immediately, excellent. Red berry, cinnamon and a red hot spicy finish. Wow, I’m in shock.
  • 2013 Windward Vineyard Pinot Noir Monopole - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    This is showing a bit more “age” than the 2014, looks like an old world burgundy in the glass. It’s cloudy, assuming no fining or aggressive filtering going on here. Strawberry nose and palate. Medium plus acidly. Good.
  • 2012 Windward Vineyard Pinot Noir Monopole - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    Looking a little cloudy, by design. Dried strawberry, medium acid, and quite spicy. There’s a jalapeño pop at the end. Enjoyable.

I wanted to purchase a bottle at the winery and ultimately elected the '14 over this one for no good reason. There’s an amazing consistencies across all three vintages.

Black Hand Cellars
I hatched a plan to head over to Cambria on Sunday morning, it made perfect sense. We could take the “short cut”, which is the long way, down Santa Rosa Creek Road and see the spectacular oak trees and countryside. We’ll walk moonstone beach, the girls can crawl through a few shops, taste some wines, and eat at Robin’s. After all the events Doug and Betty can head north on 1 while stopping to see the elephant seals and we’ll head south. Excellent.

Not so fast. Santa Rosa Creek Road was closed because the road was washed out so it was HWY 46 to Cambria, no great loss as the hills were vibrant green from the rain as we crested the range looking down at the ocean.

As the birthday entourage explored around the west end of Cambria looking for something interesting to taste we poked our heads into this place. The tasting room has a modern, sleek black look to it. I asked the guy behind the bar “what’s interesting?” not really expecting a response that would be of interest. He replied “I make a nice Pinot from grapes grown right on the hills above Cambria overlooking the Pacific Ocean.” Ahh… Okay guys we’ve found our place! So we saddled up to the bar and got started. Never heard of Black Hand but Tom, the owner, had worked at Justin back in the glory days in the late 90’s and he knows what he’s doing. All his stuff is rock solid. Very impressive. Probably my favorite of the trip, certainly the biggest surprise as it was serendipity in all its glory.

And then as we were chit chatting with Tom we mentioned Doug was heading north back to San Jose. “Uhh… No you’re not. HWY 1 was closed until further notice because of a huge slide that wiped out the road.” Darn! No elephant seals for you!

Hey, this is Tom. Good winemaker.

• 2014 Black Hand Cellars Sovereignty Santa Maria Valley - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley (1/18/2017)
    Medium plus acidity, good start. Tropical fruit, lemon, creme, and custard. What a start, excellent start. This is 100% Sauvignon Blanc from 5 vineyards in Paso.
  • 2013 Black Hand Cellars Pinot Noir The Flapper - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    Great Pinot, I purchased a bottle of this for myself. 50% French oak which resulting in a spicy cinnamon backbone, mulch, and dried cherry fruit flavors. What a pleasant surprise for a drive by tasting.
  • 2013 Black Hand Cellars Mourvedre - USA, California, Central Coast (1/18/2017)
    Very solid Mourvèdre here, we’re on a roll. Red fruit and mocha notes. Another purchase.
  • 2012 Black Hand Cellars Merlot - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    This was aged in oak for 2 years. There’s definitely an oak influence throughout. Medium plus mineral backbone and fine gritty tannins. Well made but needs a few more years to come together.
  • 2012 Black Hand Cellars Acquittal - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    Black cherry and medium toast on the attack. The follow through is blackberry.
  • 2012 Black Hand Cellars Alibi Reserve - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/18/2017)
    Bordeaux blend of 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Cab Franc, and 15% Merlot. Dark Plum and sweet cherry with tobacco note at the finish.

That is a giant ollialberry statue behind us. As fate would have it Betty wanted to purchase a pie and the famous Linn’s Bakery in Cambria just happens to specialize in ollialberry pies. What’s that you may ask. Good question. An ollialberry is 2/3 blackberry and 1/3 raspberry and was created in the 1950’s at Oregon State University.

Where Doug and I met, 36 years ago!

Posted from CellarTracker

Awesome report!

Yes, nice report and good pix. I used to go to Paso 2-3 times a year, but have been slacking. There is always something new and you found some. Have heard about the “new” Halter but have not seen it; the old place was always on my schedule. It seemed like their wines were better when they first opened. And Windward…I’ve known Mark for 15-20 years. He used to make the wines at Wild Horse in Templeton. One of my friends here in Vegas has the world’s greatest Windward stash…like anyone cares. There are more wineries in Paso now trying to do pinot and they have a festival (I think it is still operating) called “Pinot and Paella” in May or June; fun event.

A very interesting and very entertaining post–thanks!

Great report! Mostly places I haven’t been to or haven’t visited in some years - makes me realize again how many wineries have opened up in the Paso area in the past 10-15 years. Thanks for posting all these notes and photos! [cheers.gif]

Love this! Cheers!

Nicely done!

Awesome and well written story - really enjoyed reading it!

Thanks for taking the time to post it!

Jeez, thanks guys. I actually enjoy writing them up.

Thanks for the travelogue, brig!!!

I think the Croad Mourvedre/Zinfandel blend sounds like a fun wine.

I have always loved the Pinot Noir from Windward!! It is very ageable and I feel like it emulates the “Old World” style very successfully. The other Pinot Noir from the area I enjoy is, of course, the Adelaida Cellars HMR Reserve.

Thanks Brig, great read!

Too funny. I grabbed a bottle of the zin/mour, always thought the HMR was the best PN in Paso, really liked windward.

Great minds think alike!

Apparently, Daou got the old Hoffman Mountain Ranch winery building and some of the vineyard property, besides the majority going to Adelaida.

I could have sworn that Windward was sitting on some HMR vines…