One (or two) Napa Reco's for Fresh/New

Hello All,

Heading back up to Napa for my thrice yearly visit, and I wanted to pick your brains.

Having been to Napa a half dozen times in the past 2+ years, I am in search of a couple new wineries (and restos) to visit. Past trips have included Dunn, Odette, Far Niente, CADE, PlumpJack, Futo, Nine Suns, Phelps, Stags Leap WC, and easily forgetting a couple others.

In an attempt to keep things fresh, I am only trying to visit all new places for our next trip in a couple weeks (with Nine Suns being the only repeat since I am in love with their wines, facility, and VIEWS). On the docket thus far- MACDONALD, Seven Stones, Memento Mori, as well as custom tastings at 750 Wines (Fait Main, Kata, and Patria, with a couple others) and K Laz (Carter, Scarecrow M’Etain, the rest TBD).

As of now I have about 5-6 hours of unfilled time, and was looking for a couple ideas? Any up and coming talents that I should consider?

Also, for food options, I’m a huge fan of Farmstead, Oenetri, ReddWood, Ciccio, and TORC. Wouldn’t be disappointed in meals at all of these spots again, but looking for something new.

Any and all reco’s are welcomed, and thanks in advance for the time…

How about Vine Hill Ranch? Bruce is awesome, very personable tour, and great wines!

Have enjoyed 2 Birds and Basalt for new restaurants. Torq is always good. Sounds like Howell Mtn. hasn’t been a destination much. Would consider Outpost, Cimarossa and O’Shaughnessy. I also loved Arkenstone…beautiful winery and tasting room.

Do not forget Robert Craig at the top, and down at the bottom, Anderson’s Conn Valley is a blast.

Alpha Omega is an easy recommendation. (Do all the upgrades for tasting!)

La Jota is also great.

Ma(i)sonry has a good array of tastes.

I have had some utterly delicious Dancing Hares wines, but don’t know if they do tasting. Really, really delicious.

Jarvis is pretty spectacular.

Carter!

If they can, Peter Michael!!!

Cork drop…

Thanks for the responses.

I am considering Two Birds/ One Stone for dinner one of the evenings.

As for Howell, I love it up there. Only been to Dunn and CADE (two completely different experiences but both solid), and have heard that Arkenstone is legit.

We are also considering another spot on Pritchard Hill since we will be up there for Nine Suns. Has anyone been to Continuum or Ovid?

it was several years ago, but ovid was a fun trip courtesy of fellow board member doc glenn levine. stunning views. i love that area. there’s also bryant family and david arthur nearby.

[cheers.gif]

Visited Continuum last summer. We had a great time touring their estate and sampling the 2011 Novicium and 2013 Continuum.

If you’re doing Howell Mountain, I’d recommend Seavey at the base and Outpost and Lamborn up on the mountain.

Brian - if you decide to dine at Oenotri please let me know - our tasting room shares the courtyard with them and we’re open late.

Karen

I’d definitely get in touch with this board member.

You can’t beat the view ( or the tasting) from Larry Fairchild’s place - up the mountain from Seavey.
If you meet up with Roy (ABOVE POST) I suggest you ply him with some chocolate!

I think Young Inglewood is one of the most underrated and undiscussed producers in Napa.

Steve Matthiasson is the vineyard manager and Pott buys some grapes from them.

I’ll second O’Shaughnessy, even if it’s insane to get to. Really fun.

Also Herb Lamb! Not a tour or big room, but it’s awesome!

Wines at Mending Wall are very good. Another TRB project.

Agreed. I jumped on this just to type Young Inglewood.

Also- See if Enfield can do a tasting in St. Helena. He lives about 200yds from Two Birds / One Stone.

This. John is a great guy and making fantastic wines.