Do winery owners add their wines to CellarTracker

I don’t know why this suddenly popped into my head, but there are times when I want to add a wine to CT and either (a) the wine is not there, or (b) data/pictures are wrong. In the latter case, it can make me wonder if I am choosing the right wine to add inventory to. It got me thinking, are there any winery owners/winemakers that, prior to a release, go into CT and add their new offerings in an effort to control the quality of the information in CT? I would guess most just let the customers do it, but it is a form of marketing after all. I could see some wanting the right words and pictures to appear. Just curious.

I do enter in the new vintages/wines for my winery, as I didn’t originally do it, and have ended up with 2 or 3 different entries for the same wine. So after bottling, I just add a new entry. This is long before it is available for purchase.

I never have and have never been asked to - but I would if folks wanted me to. Just figured it would happen when people purchased and tried the wines, if they wanted to post about them . . .

Cheers.

I wish you and others would. Adding a wine into CT can sometimes be confusing and time consuming, so I understand any reluctance. However, I think the owners have a bit more at stake to ensure their wines get added accurately. Not a necessity, but if you have the time, and if you think the reviews are important to you, I would preemptively do it.

Hi Larry, I don’t think there should ever be a “need” for you to. Users/buyers are certainly going to do that work for you. I was just curious, because as Thomas said (thanks Thomas), there can be multiple entries, people making decisions for you, especially you because you make a lot of blends. So some person buys a Tercero and sets it up as a Roussanne/Marsanne blend in CT, when in reality Grenache Blanc is the predominant grape. Would that bother you, does anyone take steps to make sure things are set up correctly, etc?

PS…no agenda here, simply curious.

I must admit that I have done the add the last few vintages. Just want to make sure the vineyards, AVAs, blends, etc are correct. My OCD side :wink:

I will say, here is the one that got me thinking about this topic, although it has crossed my mind in the past. I bought some NV Laherte Freres Champagne last year and it was tough to choose. I am 95% certain wines #1 and #6 are the same wine - the 6th entry shows a picture of the label, and the wine in listing #6 is Extra Brut Pinot Meunier, just like #1. I bet #2 and #4 are the same wine, and maybe #3 and #7. I don’t know, it just seemed like a lot of similar wines for this producer’s NV lineup. It was confusing to me. In fact #2 and #4 have many different labels pictured, many of which are vintage.

Got me thinking.
Laherte Freres.JPG

I have in the past for the reasons you state. Need to get back over there again soon. I like knowing the info is correct as there has been duplicate entries from my first couple early releases.

I have never done it.

I add the new wines and upload the new label image before we release that vintage. Just easier for our customers that use CT (although I am finding most of our bottles are not sold to CT users).

Interesting, Karen. I get the feeling that a large percentage of my customers use CT. Your business is larger than mine, so perhaps that makes sense.

Me personally, I’d do it. Gets your info right, maybe generates early buzz with the wine geeks. It’s not critical, but social media is the new way to advertise…for free.

Whoever added the once and future recent release - Thank you! I went to add to my inventory at purchase and the entries didn’t exist. Someone did the heavy lifting for all of us.

I like it when I make a purchase and everything is there, correct and ready to go. When it’s not, it is a bit frustrating.

I don’t find it frustrating, but a bonus if the I don’t need to do it!

I wish more wineries and importers would take an interest in keeping CT up to date and accurate. I tend to be a bit obsessive about having accurate information and it would save me a lot of time.

I wish all wineries would do this. It is so easy when I purchase a broad spectrum of wines in an offering (i.e., Sojourn with 8 wines or Rivers-Marie with about 10), where I can enter the name and year and all of the wines come up and all I have to do is check the boxes of the ones I bought, enter the price and quantity and I am done. Otherwise I have to pick older vintages and create a new vintage, then enter the wine. Or worse, create a new wine when it was never in the portfolio.

It makes sense to do so as I have seen a couple items that I never even made up on CT.

I strongly encourage wineries to do this for all the reasons stated. It is often hard for the user to know what is important on a label.

Just one example, the Chappellet Cabernet Sauvignon has Donn Chappellet’s signature on the label. For a long time, there were 2 entries for each vintage: Chappellet Cabernet Sauvignon and Chappellet Cabernet Sauvignon Signature. Now, someone brought a bottle of this to a tasting and I went to enter my TN. I have a photo of the label that has a signature. is this a different bottling? Are there 2 wines here? As it turns out, here the answer is no. There is only one Chappellet Cabernet Sauvignon and it has a signature on the label. Having pointed this out to the CT folks, if you now search “Chappellet Cabernet Sauvignon Signature”, it takes you to “Chappellet Cabernet Sauvignon”.

I also encourage users to report entries that they think are wrong. I interact with Eric and Andrew frequently on their Nebbiolo and other listings. I view CT as a community effort and keeping it accurate adds value to us all.

I have a pretty strong case of OCD and time on my hands, so endeavor to enter the correct info when I sometimes find up to three entries for the same wine which I research to get the correct one entered. I then enter into the corrections thread for Andrew to clean up. I am not so diligent about labels which has been pointed out in posting TNs on this site.