Zepaltas Hiatus

I just received an e-mail that Ryan Zepaltas is taking a hiatus from winemaking:

am writing you today to let you know that I’ve decided to put Zepaltas Wines on indefinite hiatus. This is a one-hundred-percent positive decision, and I am walking away with my head held high. It was a tough decision, but it came down to one thing: family. Crafting my wines, getting to travel the world and crossing paths so many great people is extremely rewarding. At the end of the day though, the right balance of life is just not there. The time away on the road it takes to promote the wine, takes away from family time. With two you daughters at home, priorities have changed for me. I am looking forward to a simpler life.

FWIW, Ryan is selling off his remaining inventory, but there’s not a huge amount left so if you’re interested, you should e-mail him.

I thought Ryan was very talented and I enjoyed our only time meeting. I wish him well in his future endeavors.

I bought a PN of his for $20 at wine exchange a couple of months ago. I think the dumping had already started.

I received this as well, love his whites. I wish him the best. His trivia contests during berserker day were funny and interesting.
Best of luck Ryan.

oh man, I love his wines!

Ryan has worked hard to build his brand, and earn the respect of Adam and the crew at Siduri, too. I wish Ryan nothing but the best as he sets a new course.

I was surprised to read the email earlier today.

I made a decision to change course in 2005 and it turned out to not only be the right decision for me and my family, but also for my career. I get it. Although I haven’t gotten a response back yet, I’m sure he will be doing the same work at Siduri and his other “behind the scenes” project he has. I wish him, Anna and the girls the best.

I was surprised and sad to hear the news. I wish Ryan nothing but the best.

Had a chance to meet Ryan last year at a Berserkers tasting he organized in NYC

Ryan is a great guy and a talented winemaker
I’m sure he will still be crushing it with his efforts on those other labels

All the best to Ryan and his family

I think the decision shows great maturity and wisdom. Good for you, Ryan!

At the end of the day, family comes first.

I’ve really been a fan of Ryan’s stuff! Sad to see Zepaltas go. I think I should have bought more from him in the past. Best of luck to him in the future. He has a real talent.

That’s sad news to hear. I learned of his wines from these boards and I am sorry to see him stepping away.