2014 Quilceda Creek Cab Offering live

Any QC lovers out there going long (or short) on the 2014 Cab? [cheers.gif]

One of my favorite producers. I am in for a case.

Wow - a response! [drinkers.gif]

Congrats on the case - I only went in for two - now I have two from the last 3 vintages. It’s a pretty intense wine for quite a few bucks and I go for that stuff only occasionally. But I am also very surprised only one response so far…Not sure how a wine can have a waiting list but yet no one on WB is buying or even discussing?
newhere

QC is currently in the dog house on this board. People are ashamed to admit buying it and liking it for fear of mockery. I think not quite as bad as Caymus SS, but just as there are board darlings, there are board frowned-down-upons. Somewhat tied to the parker loathing around here- as Parker (and Rovani) are in part responsible for the rise of QC to glory.

Personally I found myself up to the gills in past vintages and therefore have divested and diversified from a style of wine that I don’t reach for often anymore.

Thanks, for the comments, Scott.

I certainly understand Parker’s palate leans toward full-fruited, high impact, lower nuance wines - not my favorite style but still might work for special occasions or for company who leans to that style. I’m also sure it’s not the only wine which Parker has influenced in his day which the boards might still appreciate.

Eh the 2007 Quilceda Creek cab I had last month was incredible. There’s definitely a hipster vibe to some posters here who decry all things popular and want to fuss over old Riesling. Drink what you love!

Wines with high parker scores are like masterbating. Everyone on here does it, but many don’t admit it. As Scott aptly put it “people are ashamed to admit it.” Kudos for calling it what it is.

It’s very frustrating watching some of posters swoon over a high end wine that “coincidentally” got a 100 pt score from Parker then belittle other people for liking some $50 93 pt parker wine. I’m going to get flack for sure, but whatever. I neither chase his scores nor poo poo them, nor the people that place weight on the parker score. It’s a reference point for me…along with CT, WB notes, etc. All taken with a grain of salt. Sorry for the thread drift, but the “parker boogie man” has been rearing its head lately again on here and its so off putting and elitist.

Back to the OP. I’m not on the list for QC, but I have some generous friends who have kindly poured me glasses on a few occasions. Tasty stuff. I dont plan on signing up, but will never turn down a glass (or three).

Seo

I mean I expect some elitism from a forum dedicated to high end wine filled with wealthy older guys, but some of the attacks and ganging up I’ve seen recently is pretty gross. Luckily there are some really cool people here, too.

I’ll continue to drink what I like and not be ashamed of it. If I didn’t think Caymus SS had turned into an oaky mess I’d say I like that too, fear of reprisal from internet people be damned.

Wait. This is a forum filled with elitists for high end wines only wealthy older folks can afford? newhere

I must be one of the other really cool people then. And I dink Caymus, sometimes. pileon

It may be true that some people won’t like it just because Parker does, but that doesn’t apply to everyone. I actually have a few bottles that I got as part of a hot deal with some other wines. A number of years ago I was at dinner with some friends and one guy wanted us to try a mystery wine. We were happy to oblige and we all tried guessing what it was. I was certain it was an overdone Napa Cab. Three of the others thought the same. One guy guessed QC. He was right.

Had nothing to do with Parker, just that without knowing what it was, I wasn’t fond of it at all. I’ve opened a couple bottles for other people and depending on who they are, sometimes they really like it. Doesn’t mean it’s bad wine or badly made - it isn’t. It’s just a style that not everyone cares for. Same with many Cabs. There are people who have grapes near or next to some of the QC vineyards that are making really good wine. Sleight of Hand for example, but they say they pick a couple weeks earlier. I don’t know. I just tried the wine and liked it and then talked to the wine maker about it. That wine isn’t mean and green, but it has less lavish oak and it’s not as sweet as QC.

To me, QC is like Mer Soleil Chardonnay - it’s finally just too much of everything. But as mentioned, there’s a waiting list so obviously plenty of people are fans.

Personally I have little interest in most wines with waiting lists. Except for SQN, it’s usually going to be another high-octane Cab. But there’s a diversity of opinion. Some people love those and more importantly, love them enough to pony up for them.

As to what people here think about Parker - again, there’s a diversity of opinion. Some don’t care but others whoop and holler congrats when he gives high scores out to some wines.

So lot of people don’t love QC, a lot do, and it doesn’t matter. If you love it, go for it!

This is good to know. I was on the list for a couple years and am bringing this to an offline is a couple weeks. I’m thinking a long decant. Any suggestions from your recent experience?

David - I don’t think it matters all that much.

BTW - I think I’ll be back home next month - let’s get together and I’ll bring one.

Meh. I bought a three pack from 2004 to 2010. Then I realized the 2004 was still too tannic when the 2010 was released, so I stopped buying. I love big and bold but I hate to wait for them. Often times they become undrinkable with aging. As it happens we opened an 05 a few months ago and it was pretty good but not good enough to go back.to buying.

It mattered to the bottle I had. It really opened up after about a 2 hour decant. The half pour I had in a glass was great (to my palate) and then shut down.

And, Greg, I agree with most everything you’ve said. Drinking what you love is certainly the overarching theme to any good wine advice, I think. It’s when others here openly and actively look down upon posters for doing so that is the point. Based on what you wrote, and other things I’ve seen you post, I suspect you are against that but, I think you’ll also agree, it happens a shit ton here.

You know, this thread is a hoot :wink:

So if I’ve got the gist correctly, if I happen to think that QC sucks (or Caymus or Sine Qua Non, for that matter), then that apparently implies that I’m looking down on you all as an elitist and otherwise making you feel ashamed for your choice in wines.

Not really sure how to react to all the angst here, but please don’t tell your Mom on me.

Interestingly enough, I’ve always thought the primary purpose of a wine board is to express one’s critical opinions about the wines. Pro or Con.

Uh, nope. You got the gist way off. But thanks for expressing your opinion!

I bought QC for four years, 2001-2004 with a buddy, and have struggled to drink them. I loved the '94-'99 versions I tried, but the wine changed.

I just do not like the current style. I throw them into blind tastings now, just to see what a group will think.

If people like QC then good for them. I don’t. No judgment.

I now buy Betz instead. I like the wines.

No problem, Tom - I do it all the time (express my opinion, that is).

BTW, I think Shafer Hillside sucks too :wink:

The gist was not having an opinion about a wine. It’s the fact that posters frequently and openly judge others for their opinions.

It is what it is if people want to be elitist assholes, the Internet is full of them, but it gets in the way of actual discussion many times.

And apologies to OP for derailing.

Duty Calls.jpg