Has Anyone Been Drinking BerserkerDay Wines Lately?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#301 Post by mmarcellus » January 25th, 2018, 11:06 am

Corey N. wrote:Mary, word to the wise, don't sleep on Andrew's Pinots, which are excellent. The Bordeaux varieties (Cabernet, Petit Verdot, Merlot, etc.) from Ishi Pishi Ranch are also awfully good.
I will pile on here to say that, while all of Andrew's wines have been excellent, the ones from Ishi Pishi Ranch are astounding, and not just the Bordeaux varieties. The words "distinctive terroir" should be used advisedly when referring to California, but Ishi Pishi Ranch certainly fits the bill.
M @ r k

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#302 Post by Mike Evans » January 25th, 2018, 5:07 pm

One more for Berserker Day Eve Eve:

2014 Signal Ridge Pinot Noir Signal Ridge Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino Ridge (1/25/2018)
Pretty transparent color straddling the line between red and purple, with dark cherry, brown sugar, and a touch of flowers, it isn’t terribly complex and has a little bitterness on the finish, but is surprisingly hard to stop drinking. With air it picks up more florality and some meatiness, the fruit fills in to buffer the bitterness and to add some dimension, and it becomes harder to stop drinking. Nice wine for the money. (90 pts.)

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#303 Post by brigcampbell » January 25th, 2018, 5:08 pm

• 2013 Cabot Vineyards Zinfandel Humboldt County - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (1/23/2018)
    Looks like a Zinfandel in the glass, no surprises there. Fruity dark plum aroma and light smoke. Very herbal; dried Italian herbs. Red plum and tart cranberry fruit. Prevalent acid and solid foundation of tannins is a recipe for long aging. Sadly, my last bottle.
  • 2015 Sandler Wine Company Chardonnay Cuvée Ma Belle Heintz Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (1/11/2018)
    Kicking off some sediment which settled at the bottom of the bottle after a couple of hours upright. Light yet bright lemon yellow color. This shows as very well balanced with medium weight and mild yellow fruit. Very strong showing at the finish. Very good.
Posted from CellarTracker

Emily Richer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#304 Post by Emily Richer » January 25th, 2018, 9:11 pm

Michael Martin wrote:2007 Virage BDX blend. This wine was a real treat. Prime drinking window for a cab franc/merlot dominated right bank type blend. After being open an hour it really sings. God I live Berserker Day just for getting a chance to buy wines like this one.
Just searched for tasting notes on Virage, THANKS MICHAEL! Gonna quote you for BDIX :)
Virage Napa Valley
Winemaker, Owner & Shipping Clerk

Dan F

#305 Post by Dan F » January 26th, 2018, 8:44 am

mmarcellus wrote:
Corey N. wrote:Mary, word to the wise, don't sleep on Andrew's Pinots, which are excellent. The Bordeaux varieties (Cabernet, Petit Verdot, Merlot, etc.) from Ishi Pishi Ranch are also awfully good.
I will pile on here to say that, while all of Andrew's wines have been excellent, the ones from Ishi Pishi Ranch are astounding, and not just the Bordeaux varieties. The words "distinctive terroir" should be used advisedly when referring to California, but Ishi Pishi Ranch certainly fits the bill.
Agreed, love everything I've had from Ishi Pishi (and Briceland in general). Not sure if the Ishi Pishi Gewurztraminer has been offered on Berserkerday, but I had a bottle over the summer which blew me away (for reference, I'd guess 90% of the whites I drink are from the Loire). Everything I've had from Briceland has been in a lighter style, complex and just plain delicious. Easy buy every year!
f i n e $ t e i n

mseeber

#306 Post by mseeber » January 26th, 2018, 9:28 am

Signal Ridge - Tiny Pink Bubbles - Why does this disappear so quickly? It has a great mousse, is super fresh and lively. This is a Chardonnay / Pinot Noir blend and at under $20/bottle on BD is an easy decision to load up.

Princess & Peasant Carignan - Vibrant, fresh, fruity (more blackberry than blueberry, cranberry/raspberry/pomegranate). Some nice spice supporting the fruit. Good acidity so it works well with food but simply a well-done crowd pleaser. I'll be back for more this year hopefully.
M a r k S e e b e r
CT=mseeber

Andrew Morris
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#307 Post by Andrew Morris » January 26th, 2018, 9:29 am

Thanks for all of your support.

I am a little reluctant to pile on with all the posts that are already here, but I thought it worth mentioning that the "Andrew" in question in these posts is me, from Briceland Vineyards, in Southern Humboldt County, just over the Mendocino County line. Info here: https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/to ... #subscribe
Dan F wrote:
mmarcellus wrote:
Agreed, love everything I've had from Ishi Pishi (and Briceland in general). Not sure if the Ishi Pishi Gewurztraminer has been offered on Berserkerday, but I had a bottle over the summer which blew me away (for reference, I'd guess 90% of the whites I drink are from the Loire). Everything I've had from Briceland has been in a lighter style, complex and just plain delicious. Easy buy every year!
Andrew Morris

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#308 Post by CJ Beazley » January 26th, 2018, 9:50 am

Andrew, is your Phelps Pinot from the “Freestone” vineyard Phelps uses? Or completely different deal?
It's C(raig)

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#309 Post by John Morris » January 26th, 2018, 9:52 am

Corey N. wrote:Mary, word to the wise, don't sleep on Andrew's Pinots, which are excellent.
Don't sleep on them in what sense? Don't age them?
“The writing of legislation is perhaps the highest art form the United States has yet achieved, even more original and compelling than the television commercial.” – Gore Vidal, 1974

It's hard for a $35 zin to compete with a $100 cabernet that tastes the same. – me, 2018

Corey N.

#310 Post by Corey N. » January 26th, 2018, 9:54 am

John Morris wrote:
Corey N. wrote:Mary, word to the wise, don't sleep on Andrew's Pinots, which are excellent.
Sorry, meaning don't overlook them. They are quite good.

Interestingly, I recall you did a CA Pinot tasting where it beat out some much more expensive wines and it improved on day 2. I genuinely believe the SVDs are one of the best values in CA PN. I'm particularly partial to the Ronda's Vineyard.
Nøv¡¢k

Andrew Morris
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#311 Post by Andrew Morris » January 26th, 2018, 9:56 am

John Morris wrote:
I was going to ask him the same thing. He posted ahead, but here it is anyway...

I think he means don't pass them by, but, with Corey, you never know. neener

PS. Is this year a good time to get you some Arneis? I really like the current batch from 16. We have been thinking about that for a while.
Andrew Morris

Dan R

#312 Post by Dan R » January 26th, 2018, 10:16 am

Mike Evans wrote:One more for Berserker Day Eve Eve:

2014 Signal Ridge Pinot Noir Signal Ridge Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino Ridge (1/25/2018)
Pretty transparent color straddling the line between red and purple, with dark cherry, brown sugar, and a touch of flowers, it isn’t terribly complex and has a little bitterness on the finish, but is surprisingly hard to stop drinking. With air it picks up more florality and some meatiness, the fruit fills in to buffer the bitterness and to add some dimension, and it becomes harder to stop drinking. Nice wine for the money. (90 pts.)
mseeber wrote:Signal Ridge - Tiny Pink Bubbles - Why does this disappear so quickly? It has a great mousse, is super fresh and lively. This is a Chardonnay / Pinot Noir blend and at under $20/bottle on BD is an easy decision to load up.

Princess & Peasant Carignan - Vibrant, fresh, fruity (more blackberry than blueberry, cranberry/raspberry/pomegranate). Some nice spice supporting the fruit. Good acidity so it works well with food but simply a well-done crowd pleaser. I'll be back for more this year hopefully.
On behalf of my wife Stephanie, who makes the Signal Ridge wines, and myself, thank you for the nice notes about our wines!

Keep them coming, so we can finally decide once and for all who the better winemaker in the family is! [berserker.gif]
D Rivin
Princess and the Peasant

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#313 Post by dsGriswold » February 3rd, 2018, 11:57 pm

From BD VIII:
2012 Biggio Hamina Cellars Riesling Sunnyside Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (2/3/2018)
Light straw color with Kiwi fruit nose. Tart and dry, light fruit and body, Kiwi fruit, lemon and gooseberries with some steely calcareous mineral. Light and zesty and should go for many years. Perfect with spicy mushroom risotto cakes. (91 pts.)
DennisG

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#314 Post by Michael Martin » February 4th, 2018, 10:37 am

Emily Richer wrote:
Michael Martin wrote:2007 Virage BDX blend. This wine was a real treat. Prime drinking window for a cab franc/merlot dominated right bank type blend. After being open an hour it really sings. God I live Berserker Day just for getting a chance to buy wines like this one.
Just searched for tasting notes on Virage, THANKS MICHAEL! Gonna quote you for BDIX :)
Spelling error and all!

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member

#315 Post by Jim F » February 4th, 2018, 2:39 pm

I drank a 2013 Bougetz Amaryllis during BDIX auction time.....
Jim Freeman

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#316 Post by Michael Martin » February 5th, 2018, 5:24 pm

2014 Congruence Six Acre Oakville Napa Cab, Rusty’s Cuvee. The peak for these is a few years down the road yet, but we decanted a bottle just to see what we bought a week or so ago. These are really good. A nice juicy plum, spicy, earthy Cab. Really quite drinkable now. We love Congruence Cabs.

jeff g l o v e r

#317 Post by jeff g l o v e r » February 5th, 2018, 9:32 pm

Opened a iOTA 2015 Rose of Pinot... Delicious.

Abbie S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#318 Post by Abbie S. » February 8th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Enjoyed a bottle of Dilecta The Tiller over the last two days. Really delicious! This was my first bottle of Dilecta. I'm looking forward to visiting the tasting room next month.
salovon

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#319 Post by brigcampbell » February 9th, 2018, 3:41 pm

UPS driver to my glass. Great wine. Baby Rayas.
  • 2008 Biggio Hamina Cellars Syrah/Viognier XIV Deux Vert - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (2/9/2018)
    Medium light cranberry color with slight bricking. Nose is olive brine, sage and red berry. Medium/light mouthfeel, medium plus acidity balances it nicely. Lean raspberries, black currants and herbal tones. Medium finish. Very nice. Could come off as a well made Grenache based Châteauneuf de Pape. That's high praise.
Posted from CellarTracker

Scott Wi3gand
GCC Member
GCC Member

#320 Post by Scott Wi3gand » February 9th, 2018, 9:32 pm

I Pobega’d a 2014 Briceland Rhonda’s Vineyard Pinot Noir tonight:

Damn this is good. There is a wonderful and complex array of aromas that changes as you drink. It starts with tart cherry and raspberry with some earthy underbrush and a touch of spice. The palate is much the same but more spices on the palate. Medium to light body and quite elegant with a decent amount of tannin and acid to offer great balance.

I was very impressed with my first experience with Briceland and I’m very excited to try the rest of these over time.

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#321 Post by M. Dildine » February 10th, 2018, 2:17 pm

Haven't tried the Cab yet, but the 2015 Riverain Syrah (Cardiac Hill, Bennett Valley) was really outstanding.
Cheers,

Mike

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#322 Post by Andrew Demaree » February 10th, 2018, 4:59 pm

2013 West of Temperance ‘Teroldego’
5F23E80C-51C8-4B20-A081-A7D0FF56CFAE.jpeg
5F23E80C-51C8-4B20-A081-A7D0FF56CFAE.jpeg (21.76 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
Overtly fruity on the nose with a slightly tarry note that dissipates during a 90 min. decant. Initially, the palate shows bright cranberry, red cherries, and a hint of cinnamon. As it continues to open, ripe blueberries appear and round out the the mid-palate. The acidity is moderate and keeps things lively, and the tannins provide a sense of grip on the back end. This is my first Teroldego and it strikes me as a terrific middle ground between Dolcetto and Barbera, borrowing elements of both. Very nicely done.

Scott Wi3gand
GCC Member
GCC Member

#323 Post by Scott Wi3gand » February 11th, 2018, 9:57 pm

2015 Princess and the Peasant Carignan - both my wife and I were blown away by how much we liked this and especially for the value. I won’t add too much since there are half a dozen tasting notes for this already. I will say that I could be satisfied just smelling this wine but it also has such good concentration and great acidity that it is great by itself but also a nice food wine. I’m glad I got the case but maybe I should have got two.

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#324 Post by MitchTallan » March 2nd, 2018, 11:19 am

My Navarro WB day shipment came in a few days ago. I added some grenache and zin to round it out to a case.
The 2014 Navarro Mendocino zin is beautiful! It has the "nervous tension" between fruit and acidity that I find to be rare in modern era zins. Crisp black stone fruit is the primary taste characteristic. Very moderately oaked. Better yet, I called just now to order a case and was told that if I wait til April 1, there is 1 cent shipping in April and May! So great people/customer service too.
Good job Todd in getting Navarro on board for WBD. I have bought Navarro here and there off of retailers shelves, mostly the whites, and always found them solid but had not had their zin before.

Drew Goin

#325 Post by Drew Goin » March 2nd, 2018, 4:53 pm

Scott Wiegand wrote:2015 Princess and the Peasant Carignan - both my wife and I were blown away by how much we liked this and especially for the value. I won’t add too much since there are half a dozen tasting notes for this already. I will say that I could be satisfied just smelling this wine but it also has such good concentration and great acidity that it is great by itself but also a nice food wine. I’m glad I got the case but maybe I should have got two.
+1

Even if there may be a preponderance of TN's on a given wine, we want YOUR impressions, too!

It's funny that I have read in a couple of articles/books the comments from some California winemakers that Mendocino simply is too cold to successfully ripen quality Carignan grapes! :P

I was influenced by these admonishments for several years, and neglected Mendocino County's Rhône-style wines for years. It was only after tasting the Idlewild "Testa Ranch" Carignan that I realized how much quality can be squeezed from the variety in Mendo.

The Princess and The Peasant "Poor Ranch" Carignan is a criminally underpriced wine.

Unfortunately, if a consumer didn't know how this wine tromps all over similarly styled red wines (of the same and different grape varieties), he/she would be reluctant to fork over more cash for this gem.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#326 Post by Nate Simon » March 2nd, 2018, 10:04 pm

Abbie S. wrote:Enjoyed a bottle of Dilecta The Tiller over the last two days. Really delicious! This was my first bottle of Dilecta. I'm looking forward to visiting the tasting room next month.
Agree 100%! This was a wonderful surprise. Should’ve gone deeper on this offer...of course, I didn’t know, never having tasted the wines. I’m a fan.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#327 Post by Kris Patten » March 3rd, 2018, 1:28 pm

I liked the Dilecta offerings too, and they had great customer service when one was corked and replaced it right away.
ITB

robert creth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#328 Post by robert creth » March 3rd, 2018, 4:01 pm

Scott Wiegand wrote:2015 Princess and the Peasant Carignan - both my wife and I were blown away by how much we liked this and especially for the value. I won’t add too much since there are half a dozen tasting notes for this already. I will say that I could be satisfied just smelling this wine but it also has such good concentration and great acidity that it is great by itself but also a nice food wine. I’m glad I got the case but maybe I should have got two.
I think this may be one of my new favorites! Everything about the nose said “You are gonna love me!” And I did. Should have bought more.

Scott Wi3gand
GCC Member
GCC Member

#329 Post by Scott Wi3gand » March 4th, 2018, 7:59 am

2007 Cabot Syrah, Klamath Cuvee
Love this wine! Smokey and pepper and spice on the nose, still lively fruit and plenty of acidity. Terrific finish. I love this and can’t wait to try the next bottle.

Drew Goin

#330 Post by Drew Goin » March 14th, 2018, 12:38 am

Plugging a deal I received (via email) for super case prices at The Princess and The Peasant & Signal Ridge:

"50% off full case purchases of Signal Ridge and Princess & the Peasant wines.

"Put 12+ bottles in your cart and enter Promo Code SpringSale at checkout. The coupon code will expire on Sunday, March 18. Please note that we are very low on a few items already, and expect to sell out quickly.

"Drop us a line at info@signalridge.com if you have any questions, or if you'll be passing through Boonville anytime soon. We'd love to show you around!

Cheers!
Team Signal Ridge"

https://www.signalridge.com/purchase

Dan R

#331 Post by Dan R » March 14th, 2018, 9:25 am

Scott Wiegand wrote:2015 Princess and the Peasant Carignan - both my wife and I were blown away by how much we liked this and especially for the value.
Drew Goin wrote:The Princess and The Peasant "Poor Ranch" Carignan is a criminally underpriced wine.
robert creth wrote:I think this may be one of my new favorites!
Thank you very much for taking the time to post, guys. We're thrilled you like the wines!
D Rivin
Princess and the Peasant

Dan R

#332 Post by Dan R » March 14th, 2018, 9:26 am

Drew Goin wrote:Plugging a deal I received (via email) for super case prices at The Princess and The Peasant & Signal Ridge: 50% off full case purchases of Signal Ridge and Princess & the Peasant wines. "Put 12+ bottles in your cart and enter Promo Code SpringSale at checkout.
Much appreciated Drew. Have at it, Berskerkers, the ends of some back vintages, delicious wines at free-up-cash-for-2018 prices. Enjoy!
D Rivin
Princess and the Peasant

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#333 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 27th, 2018, 6:10 pm

Just cracked a '15 Poet & Peasant Carignan - really fun and interesting wine! The nose is like a great Sonoma Zinfandel, with a blast of bramble. Then on the palate there's a blast of salinity. Heavy on the raspberry, nice acidity, really good wine. I've got little to no experience with 100% Carignan, and I'm loving this one!!!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#334 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 27th, 2018, 7:10 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Just cracked a '15 Poet & Peasant Carignan - really fun and interesting wine! The nose is like a great Sonoma Zinfandel, with a blast of bramble. Then on the palate there's a blast of salinity. Heavy on the raspberry, nice acidity, really good wine. I've got little to no experience with 100% Carignan, and I'm loving this one!!!
After an hour, I'm REALLY loving this wine! Fantastic, guys!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Brandon J.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#335 Post by Brandon J. » March 27th, 2018, 7:27 pm

I've had the following thus far:

2013 Boheme Zinfandel - Really well balanced zin with great acid. I bought a six pack of this after having it a few months prior to Berserker Day. It's delicious now and I think it will be in a perfect spot in 3-5 years.

I've had two Cabot Syrahs. The first (an '11) was very rhone like, great acid backbone, tight aromatics of blackberry and raspberry. We then moved to the bigger styled '08 that was still pretty well balanced but more CAlifornia styled in that it had the raisin and dried fruit nose. Not overripe though. It tastes like a well made wine in a difficult vintage.

Briceland 2013 Pinot - As expected, a very solid wine. Just perfectly balanced, bright red fruits on the nose, but a lean styled wine with great acid. I've yet to find a wine that has this unique fruit profile. Andrew's wines have their own special place that can't really be replicated or replaced. Great QPR as well.
John sen

Corey N.

#336 Post by Corey N. » March 28th, 2018, 5:07 am

Which Briceland Pinot, Brandon?

Really loved Andrews 2013s across the board.
Nøv¡¢k

Drew Goin

#337 Post by Drew Goin » March 28th, 2018, 10:00 am

Brandon J. wrote:I've had the following thus far:

2013 Boheme Zinfandel - Really well balanced zin with great acid. I bought a six pack of this after having it a few months prior to Berserker Day. It's delicious now and I think it will be in a perfect spot in 3-5 years.
I have been holding back on popping my sole bottle of the Bohème "Mancini Vineyard" Zinfandel, in hopes of doing a taste-off between it, the Carlisle "Mancini" Zin, and Reichwage's vineyard-designated bottling.

Max Reichwage now owns the vineyard, and makes a "Mancini" Zinfandel and a Carignan, so I am excited to see what he does with the property. :)

If the site was great enough for Joseph Swan Winery to source its "Côte du Rosa" for years, and Bohème (a Pinot Noir/Chardonnay specialist) thought it was worth venturing "off the path" to make a Zinfandel from the vines, that's telling you something!!

Jim Hartten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#338 Post by Jim Hartten » March 28th, 2018, 12:00 pm

2012 Arcadian Clos Pepe PN. My first Arcadian and I really enjoyed this. Nice medium weight with fairly tightly wound red fruit flavors framed by nice acidity and round tannins. The wine opened up nicely over two hours and finished reasonably long and complex. Reminded me somewhat of a Rhys bottling in terms of structure. Nice future for this wine! Glad to have 3 more in the cellar. [cheers.gif]

Kurt B e i t l e r
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#339 Post by Kurt B e i t l e r » March 28th, 2018, 7:11 pm

Drew Goin wrote:
Brandon J. wrote:I've had the following thus far:

I have been holding back on popping my sole bottle of the Bohème "Mancini Vineyard" Zinfandel, in hopes of doing a taste-off between it, the Carlisle "Mancini" Zin, and Reichwage's vineyard-designated bottling.

Max Reichwage now owns the vineyard, and makes a "Mancini" Zinfandel and a Carignan, so I am excited to see what he does with the property. :)

If the site was great enough for Joseph Swan Winery to source its "Côte du Rosa" for years, and Bohème (a Pinot Noir/Chardonnay specialist) thought it was worth venturing "off the path" to make a Zinfandel from the vines, that's telling you something!!
Drew, Brandon-

Why don't you guys come out to California and we have an executive conference..get to the bottom of this + other bottles!

[cheers.gif] KB
ITB
http://www.bohemewines.com

Drew Goin

#340 Post by Drew Goin » March 28th, 2018, 7:47 pm

Kurt, if you buy the plane/bus ticket, I will be glad to bring you a bottle of Louisiana "Blanc du Bois"! :P

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#341 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 28th, 2018, 8:02 pm

Had a bottle of Weingau Paetra 2015 'S' tonight - I friggin love his wines. I might just convert over to Riesling almost exclusively (with my whites) - fantastic stuff.

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#342 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » March 28th, 2018, 8:45 pm

I've popped a few...

2016 Artem Riesling- 89 pts
Bright golden in the glass, medium(+) body. Heavy on the apples, goldenrod and honeysuckle florals, oily notes. Macintosh apples, pretty potent, sweet pineapple, honey undertones, it's heavier than I thought from the glass. Slight minerally flinty thing going. Tangerine citrus in the middle, medium (+) acidity that is softer due to the viscosity, finish is on the shorter side riding the pineapple and a pulpy citrus.

2014 DV8 Cellars Eau Rouge - 91 pts
Day 1, this thing was potent. Thick in the glass, deep, dark brick color. Nose is a potent burnt rubber. I let it sit for a day, and it opened up much nicer. Burnt rubber wore off and its fragrant and sweet smelling, cocoa powder, raspberry, vanilla. Ripe candied raspberry in the glass, white pepper, cocoa, vanilla, spice notes, nice tannic backbone, medium acidity, alcohol is in check headed to a strong finish. Well made, and a wine better with a day of breathing.

2015 Navarro Vineyards Chardonnay Mendocino - 90 pts
Took the advice from their website, paired this with food as its meant to be a dinner wine. Marinated grilled pork chops, sweet potato and spinach. It really went well and was a delight. Bright golden in the glass, strong legs. My nose is kinda shot from BBQ smoke, but kinda getting pear. Palate-wise, yup, pears, plus some kind of citrus pulp, and its creamy, definitely oaked, good acidity in the middle, bright; solid finish. Good value and enjoyable with dinner so very much as advertised. Not gonna get the chance to eval over days, its all gone, so there's that, its a good bottle and I generally don't enjoy Chard or drink much of it. Its gets a nod just for that.

2015 Pennyroyal Farms Sauvignon Blanc - 90 pts
Nice easy drinking Sauv Blanc. Pineapple, grapefruit citrus&rind, grassy with a touch of melon on the nose. Dry, light bodied, light legs. Soft mouthfeel up front with the nose following over to a nice sharp razor of acidity on the md-palate. A surprisingly medium+ finish riding an acidic backbone. Very nice bottle. Fantastic value.

2013 Biggio Hamina Cellars Pinot Grigio Cougars Mark - 91 pts
I liked it, a lot actually, and I generally don't dig PG however I did like this one. It's a copperish, pale pink grapefruit color in the glass and looks like a Rose. Yet, great florals and soft dry fruits really lit up. Peach, apricots, a touch of honey, all traditional PG. It was a heavier mouth feel, with softer tannins than I expected from an "orange" wine. It worked for me, and I will bag some more when the opportunity presents itself.
Time Person of the Year - 2006

Drew Goin

#343 Post by Drew Goin » March 29th, 2018, 10:31 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:Just cracked a '15 Poet & Peasant Carignan - really fun and interesting wine! The nose is like a great Sonoma Zinfandel, with a blast of bramble. Then on the palate there's a blast of salinity. Heavy on the raspberry, nice acidity, really good wine. I've got little to no experience with 100% Carignan, and I'm loving this one!!!
"One of us! One of us! Gooba gobba!" :P

Grapelive Tasting Note (5/11/17)
"Wine of the Day: 2015 The Princess & The Peasant, Carignan, Poor Ranch Vineyard, Mendocino County"

I have been deliberating posting a "Carignan Re-Renaissance" thread!

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#344 Post by ky1em!ttskus » March 29th, 2018, 11:10 am

Opened a ‘13 Navarro Mendocino PN recently. Nice and juice, light-med. bodied. Great value at the mystery pack price.

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#345 Post by brigcampbell » March 29th, 2018, 11:13 am

ky1em!ttskus wrote:Opened a ‘13 Navarro Mendocino PN recently. Nice and juice, light-med. bodied. Great value at the mystery pack price.
Been blasting through them. Really solid stuff.

Dan R

#346 Post by Dan R » March 29th, 2018, 9:06 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Thanks Todd! Not just for taking the time to post, but for the platform. As I mentioned in PM, we have redefined our goals and raised our expectations with this wine based in no small part on the feedback of the WB community.
Drew Goin wrote:I have been deliberating posting a "Carignan Re-Renaissance" thread!
It's really hot in Hopland, and the vineyard looks like the surface of the moon. The grapes get baked and plenty ripe, yet we're often challenged by excess acidity in this wine. IMHO, Carignan is a really, really good choice for many parts of CA. Shall we couple the thread with a virtual tasting, Drew?
D Rivin
Princess and the Peasant

Larry Chmel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#347 Post by Larry Chmel » March 31st, 2018, 5:27 am

V madrone petit Syrah was outstanding. Gripping tannins will settle down in a few years but I like it now. Wish I purchased a lot more at the half price of $30.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#348 Post by Anton D » April 5th, 2018, 8:41 am

Last evening, we popped open a Fery Meunier Chambertin 1997 that we acquired courtesy of wonderful Jorge Henriquez (thank you, man!) and the Wine Cellerage's Berserker Day sale.

We used our Roadhouse Winery stems that we got courtesy of the way cool Eric Lee Hall. (I am starting to think of Roadhouse Winery as the Herman Story of Healdsburg - a very clean and crisp style with pure varietal fruit notes, as my generalization.)

My wife tasted it blind for the first glass. (No hints at all, she even has to taste with her eyes closed until she guesses.)

Her first utterance was, "Bacon! 1993 Burgundy. Smokey fruit." At our house, that would be a solid hit on making the call.

It had everything I want in a just now maturing Chambertin...there was earth, dark red fruit, and that certain je ne sais quoi that makes Burgundies all that. There is an ephemeral-ness that I find impossible to vocabularize.

It is my son's birth year, and we got 4 bottles, so we decided it was in his best interest that we sample a bottle now to make sure it is worthy of remaining in his birth year bin. Mwa ha ha ha! We rationalized the heck out of finding an excuse to avail ourselves of this baby.

It was a in fine shape and the fruit blossomed through the evening as we listened to Gomez' "Split the Difference," one of the great albums of the new millennium.

The wine and music blended seamlessly as we watched the bats tumble out of the belfry to start their evening predations. The sky was overcast and the air was still. Even the air and the quality of light matched the wine.

Gomez is on tour by the way, hitting the Fox Theater in Oakland June 24. Please check that album out. You likely won't like it the first time or two through, then it will snap into focus and find it's way into your heavy rotation.

Thanks again to Jorge!
Anton Dotson

ericleehall

#349 Post by ericleehall » April 5th, 2018, 4:13 pm

Awesome!

I do think California wine should showcase the fruit.

Thanks Anton!
All for the Love of Pinot!

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#350 Post by Dave H. » April 5th, 2018, 5:05 pm

2014 Smith Madrone Riesling was excellent—both rich with fruit and razor sharp. Left about two oz. in the bottle and two days later it was still sitting pretty.
Hendrik

Return to “Wine Talk”