Has Anyone Been Drinking BerserkerDay Wines Lately?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#201 Post by Dan Hammer » May 2nd, 2017, 11:33 am

I drank this last week. 2015 Navarro Vineyards Edelzwicker

From CT:
Holy toledo. How much was this $20? No. It was $10, and worth much more than that. A very pleasant QPR surprise. Nice color. Delicious. Smooth and tasty. Sweet, with loads of fruit. At first I thought it was very sweet, but after getting use to it, the wine was just right. Need to serve somewhat chilled. Floral nose. Would have been great to serve to non-geeks. Heck, even the geeks would love this. I'd be a buyer at regular price. Very easy to drink wine. On Day 2, this wine tasted as fresh as the first day.
This space for rent.

RDHudak
GCC Member
GCC Member

#202 Post by RDHudak » May 2nd, 2017, 11:39 am

Dan Hammer wrote:I drank this last week. 2015 Navarro Vineyards Edelzwicker

From CT:
Holy toledo. How much was this $20? No. It was $10, and worth much more than that. A very pleasant QPR surprise. Nice color. Delicious. Smooth and tasty. Sweet, with loads of fruit. At first I thought it was very sweet, but after getting use to it, the wine was just right. Need to serve somewhat chilled. Floral nose. Would have been great to serve to non-geeks. Heck, even the geeks would love this. I'd be a buyer at regular price. Very easy to drink wine. On Day 2, this wine tasted as fresh as the first day.
Agreed. I've been pleasantly surprised with each bottle we've opened from this winery, and the QPR is insane.

Karen Troisi
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#203 Post by Karen Troisi » May 2nd, 2017, 4:55 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Jen and I had the '12 Jean Edwards Rutherford cab from a couple Berserkerdays ago - wow, it's awesome! Jen absolutely adored it, and it's times like this when I wish she had cheaper taste.
WOW - thanks very much Todd - always happy to hear when someone enjoys our wines. [thankyou.gif]
ITB - You should only make wines you love to drink.

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#204 Post by dsGriswold » May 3rd, 2017, 9:38 am

• 2013 Longplay Pinot Noir Lia's Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Chehalem Mountains (5/2/2017)
    Medium garnet with a subdued nose of brambles and ripe strawberries. Dry, bright red berry with moderate fruit and body, some smooth acid on the front and lightly tart tannins on the finish.
    Getting some strawberries, rhubarb and a bit of cranberry, blasam and forest notes. Smooth mouth feel and drinking well now with some open time. (91 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
DennisG

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

#205 Post by P Intag » May 3rd, 2017, 12:49 pm

Finished my last couple of bottles from the Veleta 2005/2010 Cab six pack and the 2006/2008/2009 Tempranillo six pack. Really enjoyed all of them. Well-made, distinctive wines with some age already on them for < $18/bottle, shipped? Hell yeah! Plus, all 24 bottles from both cases (from BD VII and BD VIII) were sound and drinking beautifully - not a single corked or oxidised bottle! Greatly exceeded expectations.
Paul

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

#206 Post by P Intag » May 3rd, 2017, 12:51 pm

Darn this was good. I can't wait to uncork the next three bottles...
  • 2009 Ladd Cellars Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (4/29/2017)
    Popped the cork and immediately poured a glass. Expansive and pleasing aromatics. On the palate, started out a little tight and lean with prominent acidity which signaled to me that this needed some air. Poured a small glass and revisited it in a half hour and I could tell that this was starting to open up. Indeed, over the next couple of hours this really came together and was drinking beautifully. There's lots of tart acidity that keeps this fresh which balances out the California fruit very nicely. Really enjoyed this. Very California Pinot that is well-balanced and vibrant. (91 pts.)
Paul

Bill H o o p e r

#207 Post by Bill H o o p e r » May 3rd, 2017, 6:19 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Peter Kleban wrote:My second bottle from the Paetra WBDay "Novick six-pack." Goodness! And what QPR. Thanks, again, Bill.
  • 2015 Paetra Riesling "S" - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (4/27/2017)
    ** (maybe more, I might update this TN)

Light, clean, clear and very carefully made. A pleasure on the tongue, with a certain character all its own that it seems very sure of. Just slightly sweet, the sugar melding beautifully with the acid and fruit. Excellent length and consistency. If there is a shortcoming, it's a slight sense of restraint; I think this wine is very young and will blossom into something even more interesting with some time in the cellar.
I had the non-S version this weekend and what a QPR these wines are. I will have to try hard to wait until summer to open the rest, as they are a great combination of acidity and sweetness. Higher in alcohol than I'd guess they would be (13%, this one) but it never seemed like it. Had I not looked, I'd have guessed closer to 10%
Thanks Todd! I aim to make them balanced even though the alcohol fluctuates somewhat from year to year. My feeling is that you have to defer to what the vintage brings instead of forcing a particular style. In any case, most of the greatest dry Rieslings I've tasted have been in the 12%-13.5% alc. range. Any less or more and they seem either thin and mean or hot and clunky.

Cheers!
Bill
Paetrawine.com
Oregon Riesling

ChrisMcElligott
GCC Member
GCC Member

#208 Post by ChrisMcElligott » May 3rd, 2017, 6:54 pm

We did drink a bottle of Jean Edwards Sav Blanc recently. No detailed notes other than to say it continues to be our favorite Cali Sav Blanc. None of those overwhelming grassy, herbaceous flavors. Lots of rich tropical fruits, and great texture and weight. We enjoy the style for sure.

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

#209 Post by P Intag » May 6th, 2017, 9:47 am

P Intag wrote:Darn this was good. I can't wait to uncork the next three bottles...
  • 2009 Ladd Cellars Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (4/29/2017)
    Popped the cork and immediately poured a glass. Expansive and pleasing aromatics. On the palate, started out a little tight and lean with prominent acidity which signaled to me that this needed some air. Poured a small glass and revisited it in a half hour and I could tell that this was starting to open up. Indeed, over the next couple of hours this really came together and was drinking beautifully. There's lots of tart acidity that keeps this fresh which balances out the California fruit very nicely. Really enjoyed this. Very California Pinot that is well-balanced and vibrant. (91 pts.)
Oops! It was actually the 2009 RRV that I drank, not the Sonoma Coast:
  • 2009 Ladd Cellars Pinot Noir Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (4/29/2017)
Paul

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

#210 Post by P Intag » May 6th, 2017, 11:36 am

And now, the 2007 RRV:
  • 2007 Ladd Cellars Pinot Noir Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (5/5/2017)
    This showed very similar to the 2009 RRV that I drank last week, which is to say "Really good!"
    Drank well right from the pop 'n pour. Such good balance and depth, with plenty of tart acidity complementing the ample fruit. I'd say this has a very California flavor profile but is not candied or have cola notes. More of a savory character. Just tremendous - loved every sip and went exceedingly well with my wife's meatballs and roasted vegetables. In a perfect spot now, just slightly more evolved than the 2009 as one might expect. Looks like 8 - 10 years after vintage is the time to be drinking these. (92 pts.)
Paul

John Chapman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#211 Post by John Chapman » May 6th, 2017, 3:33 pm

I picked up a handful of aged California wines from Richard Albert's extensive list. Nothing over the top, and not expecting much from any particular bottle. First one opened just now: 1992 Guenoc Beckstoffer IV Cab. What a surprise, it's in great shape, plenty of dark, ripe fruit, the profile is leather and tar, a little plummy, very little sign of fading in color or flavor. Now I'm excited about the others, including a couple of UCD "experimental" wines.

I just wish a neighbor would walk in with a porterhouse steak, it could be a great night.

Karen Troisi
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#212 Post by Karen Troisi » May 6th, 2017, 4:15 pm

ChrisMcElligott wrote:We did drink a bottle of Jean Edwards Sav Blanc recently. No detailed notes other than to say it continues to be our favorite Cali Sav Blanc. None of those overwhelming grassy, herbaceous flavors. Lots of rich tropical fruits, and great texture and weight. We enjoy the style for sure.
Thank you Chris - you nailed the notes on this one! We had a bottle of 2015 last night with shrimp and grits and it was a wonderful pairing. Bottling our 2016 SB in June. [cheers.gif]
ITB - You should only make wines you love to drink.

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#213 Post by Mike Evans » May 7th, 2017, 9:02 am

The 2013 Briceland Vineyards Zinfandel Dark Horse Vineyard seemed like an appropriate wine for a Kentucky Derby party. This is a Zinfandel for Burgundy lovers, varietally true with beautiful nuanced brambly fruit, well-concentrated without ponderous extraction and kept bright with good acidity. It keeps growing in complexity with air, picking up hints of tangerine skin and white pepper after a few hours. A terrific wine.

John Simpson
BerserkerDay All-Pro
BerserkerDay All-Pro

#214 Post by John Simpson » May 7th, 2017, 2:16 pm

Really enjoyed the '15 Sandler (Chalone) Boer Vineyard Pinot Noir. Uncorked for an hour then aired in the glass for 45 minutes before tasting. I pretty much concur w/Charlie Carnes' CT note: "Dark red fruit... with a tart dark cherry attack, [v subtle] soil and earth minerals, and a little teaspoon of spice...." Reminds me of the PG '14 Berserkers Cuvee but w/less sour cherry and w/o the slightly bitter finish. Seems a steal at the $25 current price. As Charlie concludes: buy more.

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#215 Post by mattcitrang » May 7th, 2017, 3:02 pm

Enjoying an EMH "Little Black" with some NY Strips.

Andrew Morris

#216 Post by Andrew Morris » May 7th, 2017, 8:00 pm

Mike Evans wrote:The 2013 Briceland Vineyards Zinfandel Dark Horse Vineyard seemed like an appropriate wine for a Kentucky Derby party. This is a Zinfandel for Burgundy lovers, varietally true with beautiful nuanced brambly fruit, well-concentrated without ponderous extraction and kept bright with good acidity. It keeps growing in complexity with air, picking up hints of tangerine skin and white pepper after a few hours. A terrific wine.
Hi Mike.

Thanks for posting. I wish I had saved more of that one back. It was VERY fruity up until about a year ago and then it started to settle down a bit.

Glad you liked it!
Andrew Morris

Corey N.

#217 Post by Corey N. » May 8th, 2017, 9:24 am

Mike Evans wrote:The 2013 Briceland Vineyards Zinfandel Dark Horse Vineyard seemed like an appropriate wine for a Kentucky Derby party. This is a Zinfandel for Burgundy lovers, varietally true with beautiful nuanced brambly fruit, well-concentrated without ponderous extraction and kept bright with good acidity. It keeps growing in complexity with air, picking up hints of tangerine skin and white pepper after a few hours. A terrific wine.
Thank you for the great note, Mike. I've been off wine for nearly a month due to illness, but I should be able to drink later this week and I'll move this toward the top of the pile.
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#218 Post by Michael Martin » May 9th, 2017, 4:13 pm

Very pretty and floral initially. Spice and complexity comes with air. One of the better Italian varietals from CA that I've had. Great QPR.
Attachments
IMG_1628.JPG
IMG_1628.JPG (23.91 KiB) Viewed 3180 times

Corey N.

#219 Post by Corey N. » May 10th, 2017, 7:36 am

Last night, I had my first wine in a month due to illness. I initially popped a 1988 Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon -- corked! -- and then grabbed the first Pinot I could find, which turned out to be a 2010 Briceland Vineyards Pinot Noir. This turned out to have been a very good call. It was perfect for a Tuesday night. Unfortunately, we were enjoying it so much that the bottle was drained in record time, so no formal notes. Loads of bright red fruits, well balanced, and low alcohol. If you were able to grab some, this is in a beautiful window and stunning QPR.

Nøv¡¢k

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

#220 Post by P Intag » May 10th, 2017, 1:18 pm

• 2013 Bougetz Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Eminence - USA, California, Napa Valley (5/8/2017)
    Hmmm - 118 bottles consumed and not a single note or rating. I'm happy to be the first, I guess.
    So I've had a couple bottles of the 2012 and was completely enamored by it (scored it 95 both times, one year apart). My expectations were high for this 2013. Overall, this has similar weight and fruit profile but is much more structured than the 2012. The tannins are pretty aggressive at this stage. A bit more of an oak presence and perhaps a touch more dark-fruited.
    I'm not disappointed in this, but this needs more time for my palate - perhaps a lot more time (5 yrs+?). (93 pts.)
Very interesting that the 2012 was so much more accessible than the 2013 at the same (young) age.
Paul

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#221 Post by Nola Palomar » May 10th, 2017, 8:52 pm

P Intag wrote:Finished my last couple of bottles from the Veleta 2005/2010 Cab six pack and the 2006/2008/2009 Tempranillo six pack. Really enjoyed all of them. Well-made, distinctive wines with some age already on them for < $18/bottle, shipped? Hell yeah! Plus, all 24 bottles from both cases (from BD VII and BD VIII) were sound and drinking beautifully - not a single corked or oxidised bottle! Greatly exceeded expectations.

Glad you enjoyed it, thank you for your comments!
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

ChrisMcElligott
GCC Member
GCC Member

#222 Post by ChrisMcElligott » May 15th, 2017, 8:36 pm

Another Tiny Pink bubbles from Signal Ridge drained over the weekend. Enjoyed it so much we snagged another six pack. If you like Rose and sparkling atthis price it's tough to beat. Great Berserker find.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#223 Post by Michael Martin » May 16th, 2017, 4:43 am

We enjoyed our West of Temperance BD sampler pack so much we just ordered a mixed case. John King at West of Temperance could not have been more accommodating.

stewart lancaster

#224 Post by stewart lancaster » May 17th, 2017, 7:46 am

Drank the 2012 Tercero mourvedre over the last 2 nights. Great wine, light in color but packed a punch. Nice dark fruit and good tannins.

JonF

#225 Post by JonF » May 17th, 2017, 8:21 am

• 2015 The Princess and the Peasant Carignan - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County (5/16/2017)
    Acquired this in a mixed case from the BerserkerDay 2017 event this year. Such a refreshingly unique and unctuous wine. The medium alcohol level was a welcome change from the full throttle wines of late we've drank and the acidity was lip smacking good. Apparently a textbook Carignan: Succulent red fruits being mainly red pomegranate and hint of raspberry punctuated by spicy characteristics of baking spice and licorice with a touch of that meaty umami without being gamey. An honest wine at an even more honest price point. (92 pts.)
Futej

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#226 Post by Michael Martin » May 17th, 2017, 9:01 am

JonF wrote:
  • 2015 The Princess and the Peasant Carignan - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County (5/16/2017)
    Acquired this in a mixed case from the BerserkerDay 2017 event this year. Such a refreshingly unique and unctuous wine. The medium alcohol level was a welcome change from the full throttle wines of late we've drank and the acidity was lip smacking good. Apparently a textbook Carignan: Succulent red fruits being mainly red pomegranate and hint of raspberry punctuated by spicy characteristics of baking spice and licorice with a touch of that meaty umami without being gamey. An honest wine at an even more honest price point. (92 pts.)
+1 [cheers.gif]

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#227 Post by larry schaffer » May 17th, 2017, 10:14 am

stewart lancaster wrote:Drank the 2012 Tercero mourvedre over the last 2 nights. Great wine, light in color but packed a punch. Nice dark fruit and good tannins.
Thanks for the note. This wine is 'lighter' in color than other varieties, and lighter than Mourvedres that have syrah or other varieties blended in (this is 100% Mourvedre). Did you notice a difference in the wine over the 2 nights? I tend to find that the wine starts off with more fruit on day one and adds more 'funk' on day 2. Curious to hear . . .

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

mseeber

#228 Post by mseeber » May 17th, 2017, 1:11 pm

I popped the 2013 Chester's Anvil Hattori Hanzo for Mother's Day. Even at the normal price, this is a strong QPR Bordeaux-style blend. Fine tannins, warm strawberries and cherry candy. A lot more going on here, a fun find. Big without being over the top (14.5% alcohol wasn't noticeable on the palate) .. I find the savory notes are there, but need a 1-2 hr decant before joining the party. Smooth, pleasant finish that allows it to play nice with a range of food (I paired it with beef and broccoli cooked in a zesty orange sauce, but also enjoyed on the second night with grilled chicken).
M a r k S e e b e r
CT=mseeber

Corey N.

#229 Post by Corey N. » May 19th, 2017, 1:05 pm

I've cracked a couple from the Zepaltas mixed case I purchased and I'm really digging them. The 2013 All Right Hamilton was so delicious that I drank it before I could fully appreciate the wine. Skin fermented, but not too orange and just a great texture. Last night I downed a 2012 Rosella's Vineyard Syrah, which was really nicely balanced with a good dose of freshly cracked black pepper.

It's a shame that Ryan is shelving his eponymous label. He offered a very good product at a very wallet-friendly price.

Nøv¡¢k

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#230 Post by Todd F r e n c h » May 19th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Corey - good job on this thread! 5 pages and growing all the time...pretty freakin' sweet.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Corey N.

#231 Post by Corey N. » May 19th, 2017, 3:18 pm

Thanks TF. Reading some of these notes I'm kicking myself for not having ordered more. Next year, I'm gonna follow Mike E's lead.

Nøv¡¢k

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#232 Post by Todd F r e n c h » May 19th, 2017, 3:19 pm

Corey N. wrote:Thanks TF. Reading some of these notes I'm kicking myself for not having ordered more. Next year, I'm gonna follow Mike E's lead.
Definitely we'll have to refer back to this thread before NEXT BerserkerDay
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Er€z _ L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#233 Post by Er€z _ L. » May 19th, 2017, 4:15 pm

Given the weather, I decided to open 2014 Cellars 33 Grenache Blanc Clay Station Vineyard and see how its doing. Damn, this is great QPR for a warm day. It remains a nice one that drinks above its price range for daily drinks. I think it is mostly carbon copy of my previous notes (RE:floral, lemon, peach). The peach this time is more notable on the nose. Very nice minerality on the palate. Some CT tasters noted unstable/inbalance nose, but I would say that it requires few minutes (this time only about 5)and it gets stabilized. I am happy with this one as it was a great find at sub 20 (maybe 21 with the delivery?), and it delivers above its range. You can serve it at any balcony/cocktail/outside reception and it would stand nicely. The finish is not long, it is not a long term cellaring wine. It is a pure joy (and I'm happy that we purchased six on them, now down to only one left. It was planned to be completed in 2016, but the last two dragged into 2017)
Remains ~90 from the 90+ side [cheers.gif]
£ € n c n @ r

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#234 Post by Michael Martin » May 19th, 2017, 4:18 pm

2013 West of Temperance Aglianico. Great complexity and far more approachable than a typical Italian version of the same age. Love these.

Viet Ly
GCC Member
GCC Member

#235 Post by Viet Ly » May 19th, 2017, 5:16 pm

Boheme: Kurt Beitler is one of the nicest and easy going wine makers that I've had the pleasure to taste with. I found out about his wine through Berserker Day, and was interested in his cool climate pinot noirs. I like how all his wines are estate grown. They are from "true" Sonoma coast with many photos in the tasting room showcasing how close the vineyards are to the ocean, high above the fog line. Kurt was very generous with opening new fresh bottles for us to try and when I expressed interest in learning what stem inclusion does for the texture/taste of the wine he opened up a different vintage of the same wine to show me the difference 10% stems vs 20% (don't quote me on that number though, as I didn't write down detailed notes). While the previous vintage was good, I think the 2013 was a step up with some of the changes he made. He also educated us about the different pinot clones in his wines. Our group went through quite a few stems that day as he allowed us to do many of the tastes side by side. My overall impression is that I came in with the false preconception that cool climate meant lower density in flavor. These wines are really flavorful with great acidity and silky texture. Alcohol at mid 13% to low 14%. I believe the wines show distinction between vineyard sites. I think all of the wines are ready to drink now, but will benefit from aging 5-10 years. We tasted through the 2013 vintage, but when I found out his 10th anniversary 2014 vintage was almost ready for release I asked to purchase the 2014 since it was my son's birth year. My friend and I split a case with him purchasing 2013 (his twin's birth year) so it will be fun to taste these two vintages together in the future. If you are in the area I highly recommend emailing him to schedule a tasting with him! One caveat, the tasting room is a bit rustic (but charming).

2013 Taylor Ridge Pinot Noir: of the three I felt this one had the most fruit expression and drinking well that day. Easy to go through a whole bottle (and we did since we purchased a bottle of us to go with dinner that night).
2013 English Hill Pinot Noir: fruit is still there, but with earthy/mushroom notes coming in. Moderate round tannin. Nice balance.
2013 Stuller Vineyard Pinot Noir: again the fruit was still there, but I really enjoyed the savory/mineral flavors that backed it up. This wine had the most grip and I felt can really benefit with some time. My favorite wine from here. Something you can have a glass of and enjoy the layers of complexity.
2012 Occidental Hills Syrah: really nice mix of dark red fruits with black olives and pepper. I think the age really helped to integrate the flavors. Nice finish. I was amazed because my wife enjoyed it and she's never liked a syrah before. I think it's because it's not over the top. Nice balance. 80% from Que Syrah vineyard and 20% from English Hill. Unfortunately his last vintage of this wine, and he noted that he may stop opening bottles of this in his tasting room because he's running low.

Drew Goin

#236 Post by Drew Goin » May 19th, 2017, 8:52 pm

Thanks for the notes, V.Ly!

Kurt is an incredibly nice guy. I am glad you had a chance to go to his tasting room. :)

Corey N.

#237 Post by Corey N. » May 25th, 2017, 9:27 am

The latest:
  • 2013 Briceland Vineyards Pinot Noir Ronda's Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (5/19/2017)
    Cranberries, black cherry, pine needle and a touch of eucalyptus. Medium bodied with high- acidity. Nicely balanced. Even though it's drinking well now, I get the sense it's in a transition phase, shedding off some of its baby fat to reveal a leaner/sleeker wine. I'm excited to see where this ends up.
  • 2013 Zepaltas All Right Hamilton! - USA, California (5/18/2017)
    Skin fermented blend of 50/50 Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc. Aromatically interesting with notes of yellow fruit, flowers, jalapeño and chestnut. Easy drinking with yellow fruit flavors and good acid. There's a lovely texture to this wine. Finishes long. I'm not usually an orange wine fan, but this was great. 12.8% abv. (91 pts.)
  • 2012 Zepaltas Syrah Rosella's Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (5/18/2017)
    Red fruits and white florals on the nose. The palate is juicy red and purple fruits and black pepper, wrapped in a middle weight package. Good acid and balance. 14.1% abv. (90 pts.)

Nøv¡¢k

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#238 Post by dsGriswold » May 25th, 2017, 6:05 pm

• 2015 Theopolis Vineyards Symphony Theopolis Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands (5/20/2017)
    Crystal clear with a slight lemon tinge. Distinctive nose of herbs and resin. Dry with fairly evident resinous note along with slatey mineral. Better accompanying some spicy food, in this case pulled pork with vinegar sauce. there are plenty of bones for this to age well. Some underlying acid and rs to balance the fruit, peaches and ripe melon. On night two, marked improvement with not much resin on the nose, lemon zest. Losing the resin flavors, dry limestone mineral, medium body and fruit, a touch of acid enhances and balances the light lingering bitter, ripe lemons, melon, works well with food. Grilled halibut and rice tonight, getting good but best give another year. (88 pts.)

I drank the 2014 version and loved it. I should have waited another year before opening this one.
DennisG

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#239 Post by Peter Kleban » May 25th, 2017, 7:22 pm

'16 Paetra Riesling Elwetrische. Opened yesterday, finished today. This is just plain gorgeous! Elegant, precise, light but powerful. I'll post a full TN soon.
Bob Wood:
"Peter..your well-reasoned words were a waste of time."
WsOTY:
Simon Bize Savigny-lès-Beaune Les Bourgeots '14
Rioja Alta Grn Res 904 '05
Patricia Green PN Dijon 115 Freedom Hill '15
Kenefick Cab S '03
Heidsieck Mono Blue Top Brt NV
W Schaefer Gr. Hreich Ausl #4 '15
G Marsella Fiano di Avellino '15
Petrolo Galatrona '13

Eric White

#240 Post by Eric White » May 26th, 2017, 8:34 am

been drinking the Chester's Anvil Zin - so bummed I'm late to this party and the collaboration is no more, so, so good!

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#241 Post by Marshall Gelb » May 28th, 2017, 10:28 am

Nola Palomar wrote:
P Intag wrote:Finished my last couple of bottles from the Veleta 2005/2010 Cab six pack and the 2006/2008/2009 Tempranillo six pack. Really enjoyed all of them. Well-made, distinctive wines with some age already on them for < $18/bottle, shipped? Hell yeah! Plus, all 24 bottles from both cases (from BD VII and BD VIII) were sound and drinking beautifully - not a single corked or oxidised bottle! Greatly exceeded expectations.

I did not buy much wine for BD but I did receive my ham from Nola yesterday!! [rofl.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall champagne.gif
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#242 Post by Ron Slye » May 28th, 2017, 1:41 pm

Marshall Gelb wrote:
Nola Palomar wrote:

I did not buy much wine for BD but I did receive my ham from Nola yesterday!! [rofl.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall champagne.gif
And I just received my olive oil, vinegar, and tuna!

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#243 Post by mmarcellus » June 20th, 2017, 7:33 pm

2014 Briceland Vineyards Pinot Noir Ronda's Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (6/20/2017)
Opened one hour in advance. Rich berry aroma with floral notes. Dark red fruit flavors up front, rich cranberry notes in the finish. Bright primary flavors, good backbone, some complexity. Exceptional value.

As with most wines from Briceland, a unique expression of variety and place. Delicious now, but I think the future is even better. (93 pts.)

M @ r k

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#244 Post by Mike Evans » June 23rd, 2017, 9:36 pm

2013 Briceland Vineyards Pinot Noir Phelps Vineyard: Cherry and pomegranate with a little fresh summer vegetation and spice, nice tartness on the palate cries out for food, but it is still awfully good by itself. It expands with air, as tannin comes out and it just dials in to the brain's pleasure centers. Another winner from Briceland and I can't wait to see what more age brings to it.

I really can't express enough how consistently impressive I've found Andrew's wines. Pretty much all of the reds share a common thread of lithe vibrancy and a whiff of the fresh vegetation you get when you first walk outside on an early summer morning, the aroma of living thriving life.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#245 Post by Merrill Lindquist » June 25th, 2017, 8:55 am

I had been advising BerserkerDay buyers that 2011 and 2012 of the 3-pack were open and ready to go (with decanting, of course), but had advised against opening the 2013. I have opened it twice now within a week, and it is safe (and pleasurable) to go there now! Before, it was quite disjointed, with oak in one place, alcohol in another, acid in another, etc. Now it has come together, and this one has a gorgeous core of fruit. Drink or hold - it will continue to integrate (based on my experience with EMH Black Cats).

Enjoy and thank you for your orders!
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#246 Post by mattcitrang » June 25th, 2017, 1:14 pm

Merrill Lindquist wrote:I had been advising BerserkerDay buyers that 2011 and 2012 of the 3-pack were open and ready to go (with decanting, of course), but had advised against opening the 2013. I have opened it twice now within a week, and it is safe (and pleasurable) to go there now! Before, it was quite disjointed, with oak in one place, alcohol in another, acid in another, etc. Now it has come together, and this one has a gorgeous core of fruit. Drink or hold - it will continue to integrate (based on my experience with EMH Black Cats).

Enjoy and thank you for your orders!
Thanks for that info on the '13. I'll open one soon.

Andrew Morris

#247 Post by Andrew Morris » June 25th, 2017, 2:48 pm

Hi Mike & Mark,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post your notes. It warms my heart to know that people that are as keenly into wine as you are like them as much as you do. I have enjoyed each of those two wines recently. On the 13 Phelps that I had to other day with BBQ Leg of Lamb I got a earthy tar note along with Mike's description. The last time I had a Ronda's 14, along with the cranberry Mark mentions, I get a bit of rhubarb.
Mike Evans wrote:2013 Briceland Vineyards Pinot Noir Phelps Vineyard: Cherry and pomegranate with a little fresh summer vegetation and spice, nice tartness on the palate cries out for food, but it is still awfully good by itself. It expands with air, as tannin comes out and it just dials in to the brain's pleasure centers. Another winner from Briceland and I can't wait to see what more age brings to it.

I really can't express enough how consistently impressive I've found Andrew's wines. Pretty much all of the reds share a common thread of lithe vibrancy and a whiff of the fresh vegetation you get when you first walk outside on an early summer morning, the aroma of living thriving life.
mmarcellus wrote:2014 Briceland Vineyards Pinot Noir Ronda's Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (6/20/2017)
Opened one hour in advance. Rich berry aroma with floral notes. Dark red fruit flavors up front, rich cranberry notes in the finish. Bright primary flavors, good backbone, some complexity. Exceptional value.

As with most wines from Briceland, a unique expression of variety and place. Delicious now, but I think the future is even better. (93 pts.)

Andrew Morris

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#248 Post by Charlie Carnes » June 28th, 2017, 4:33 pm

Zepaltas 2014 Chardonnay Russian River. Gosh, it is hard for me to love chardonnay. This one is great!. Yellow gold, and reflecting the westering sun quite beautifully in Highlands, NC. Very lively, with steel and flint, and daisy flowers. It is good cold and warmed to room temp. As I drink it it puts on weight, and becomes meaty and pithy. Awesome.
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#249 Post by Charlie Carnes » June 28th, 2017, 4:46 pm

Black Cat 2011. Merrill, great wine. Julie is drinking this tonight, and I am sharing. This is easily one of the best 2011s for me. I don't drink a lot of cabs but this wine always gets my attention. Red purple, with great aromatics, crushed red fruit and a hint of raspberry, chalk mineral/tannin perceptions. The red fruit and mineral combine for a delicious, pleasing sip and swallow. I really like. I am excited to try some of the older wines from the Berserker Day Special!
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

JonF

#250 Post by JonF » June 29th, 2017, 10:35 am

Of all the producers we bought from, i keep coming back to Signal Ridge/Princess & Peasant. Awesome wines and super values. I think i'm plum out of my sampler so probably time to reload.
  • 2015 Signal Ridge Chardonnay - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (6/26/2017)
    Aaaaaand Mendocino county is the gift that keeps on giving. The folks at signal ridge keep splitting arrows in the bullseye with crazy good wines at crazy good prices. This Anderson Valley Chard has great crisp citrus and apple fruit all the way through from start to finish with a good balance of mouth watering acidity pucker without the butter! Not steely or mineral, not a glass of buttered popcorn, just that sweet spot in the middle giving it universal appeal. (92 pts.)
Futej

Return to “Wine Talk”