Has Anyone Been Drinking BerserkerDay Wines Lately?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Tom O
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Has Anyone Been Drinking BerserkerDay Wines Lately?

#451 Post by Tom O » April 16th, 2019, 6:46 pm

Received my BD10 Black Cat on March 7th in Florida.
Tom O b r i n g e r

ChrisMcElligott
GCC Member
GCC Member

#452 Post by ChrisMcElligott » April 20th, 2019, 9:13 pm

My note from DV8 Viognier, I feel pretty strongly this was flawed. I have never had a Berserker wine I didnt enjoy and reading reviews of this wine I think this would be in my wheelhouse:

Marking this as flawed. Smells of cork taint. No fruit to speak of, tastes bitter and of alcohol. Poured half down drain. Berserker Day purchase, hope my other 2 bottles show better.

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#453 Post by Dan Hammer » April 21st, 2019, 7:00 am

I drank the SLH 2016 Sandler Wine Company Chardonnay at our Seder last night. Since Ed Kurtzman is a Jewish winemaker, it's allowed. A little harsh on pop 'n pour. After 30 minutes, it was the best QPR ever of a California Chardonnay. My cost $25.00. Wish I had more. This was tasty and delicious. This was purchased in 2018.
This space for rent.

Lee Short
GCC Member
GCC Member

#454 Post by Lee Short » April 21st, 2019, 12:45 pm

To welcome a couple of great spring days here in PDX, we've opened the Signal Ridge "Little Pink Bubbles" Rose NV and the Briceland NV Rose of Sangiovese. I think that was our last bottle of the Signal Ridge -- I feel bad about not having any real notes on any of them, but it's not a tasting note kind of wine. It's wine you drink to put a smile on your face on a sunny day, and it does that reliably. Same thing with the Briceland, really. I will note that it's less fruit-driven than the lovely NV Rose of Pinot Noir they put out a few years back.

Jeff Bloom
GCC Member
GCC Member

#455 Post by Jeff Bloom » April 21st, 2019, 6:23 pm

Currently enjoying the 2008 Veleta Tempranillo. Went really well with lamb chops for dinner this evening, enough tannin left to balance the fattiness, but drinking well on its own now having been opened 2.5 hours.

Corey N.

#456 Post by Corey N. » April 24th, 2019, 7:18 am

I had to share -- this was fantastic.
  • 2015 Briceland Vineyards Syrah Ishi Pishi Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (4/22/2019)
    Opened yesterday for my better half, this is a day two note.

Nose of red fruits and layered herbal notes of sage and oregano. The flavors are intensely herbal mixed with dark red fruits and. Dash of white pepper. Very savory, medium bodied, good acidity and a mild tannic grip. Finishes long. Evocative of the Northern Rhône. Special.

Highly recommend extended aeration if drinking anytime soon. Will age effortlessly for a decade+ from vintage. (93 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion

#457 Post by Dave McIsaac » April 24th, 2019, 8:51 am

As part of my BD10 extravaganza, I bought a case of the 2017 The Princess & The Peasant Carignan, and popped one Saturday night (I bought a half case of the 2016 during BD 9.) Both are excellent.

Monday, I was walking through a local grocery store, and was walking past the wine section, when something caught my eye (this grocery chain does not have an upper wine selection to speak of). I did a double take, and the beverage manager happened to be right by me. I asked him "is that Princess & Peasant?". He replied in the affirmative and I walked over to the stand where they were displayed. Sure enough, it was the P&P 2014 Carignan. I then looked at the price tag....$12.99! He explained that they got a case of this on a distributor close-out, that he had a bottle of it a few nights ago, and it was delicious. I got a funny look on my face, and he asked if he could get me a box and cart. Why yes, yes you can.... I walked out a few minutes later with the remaining 11 bottles, which also earned me another 10% discount since I was buying 6 or more bottles.

Eat your heart out, Victor the Wine Hunter!!! [snort.gif]
You're the man Dave! I think i speak for all of us when i say that..😎 - John Cabot, BDXI

Drew Goin

#458 Post by Drew Goin » April 24th, 2019, 11:34 am

Dave McIsaac wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 8:51 am
As part of my BD10 extravaganza, I bought a case of the 2017 The Princess & The Peasant Carignan, and popped one Saturday night (I bought a half case of the 2016 during BD 9.) Both are excellent.

...Sure enough, it was the P&P 2014 Carignan. I then looked at the price tag....$12.99! He explained that they got a case of this on a distributor close-out, that he had a bottle of it a few nights ago, and it was delicious. I got a funny look on my face, and he asked if he could get me a box and cart. Why yes, yes you can.... I walked out a few minutes later with the remaining 11 bottles, which also earned me another 10% discount since I was buying 6 or more bottles.

Congrats on the find! That's the sole bottling of a Carignan (field blend) from the "City of 10,000 Buddhas Vineyard"!

[berserker.gif]

Corey N.

#459 Post by Corey N. » April 24th, 2019, 11:47 am

Drew Goin wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 11:34 am
Dave McIsaac wrote:

...Sure enough, it was the P&P 2014 Carignan. I then looked at the price tag....$12.99! He explained that they got a case of this on a distributor close-out, that he had a bottle of it a few nights ago, and it was delicious. I got a funny look on my face, and he asked if he could get me a box and cart. Why yes, yes you can.... I walked out a few minutes later with the remaining 11 bottles, which also earned me another 10% discount since I was buying 6 or more bottles.

Congrats on the find! That's the sole bottling of a Carignan (field blend) from the "City of 10,000 Buddhas Vineyard"!

[berserker.gif]
I managed to get my hands on that wine as well. I thought it was interesting, but I preferred the 15 and 16 (in that order). Still, a great bargain.

Nøv¡¢k

Drew Goin

#460 Post by Drew Goin » April 24th, 2019, 11:25 pm

Corey N. wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 11:47 am
Drew Goin wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 11:34 am
Dave McIsaac wrote:
The Princess & The Peasant Carignan

...Sure enough, it was the P&P 2014 Carignan. I then looked at the price tag....$12.99!

[berserker.gif]
I managed to get my hands on that wine as well. I thought it was interesting, but I preferred the 15 and 16 (in that order). Still, a great bargain.

Thanks for the input, Corey!

I will need to pop a bottle or two soon and compare vintages. The "City of 10,000 Buddhas Vineyard" was, to my recollection, a field blend of Carignan with Valdigue and Zin.

I don't know if the "Poor Ranch" is strictly planted plot-by-plot to varieties, or whether different grapes are sprinkled throughout.

Corey N.

#461 Post by Corey N. » June 20th, 2019, 8:00 am

It's been a while since I've posted a note.
  • 2015 Briceland Vineyards Zinfandel Dark Horse Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County (6/19/2019)
    Such a unique wine. Flavors typical of a Zinfandel, with bramble fruit, shading more red than purple but then there’s white floral and spice notes which add a beguiling complexity. Nice structure that suggests it will age, but delicious now. A lighter, more elegant expression of the grape that is simultaneously familiar, yet different. Schroedinger's Zinfandel.

Nøv¡¢k

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#462 Post by J a y H a c k » June 20th, 2019, 8:22 am

I had the DV8 Roussane on Friday night with a group of "civilians." They liked it but thought it was a bit weird because they were not used to white wine that was neither chardonnay, riesling or pinot grigio. DV8 was my blind pick on Berserkerday when I always buy from at least one winery I know nothing about just to help out the little guy. I chose them because I am always looking for ABC whites - anything but chardonnay. I thought it was a nice, solid wine that was very enjoyable. It has some of the flavor characteristics of southern Rhone Roussane - a bit oily with some chewy meatiness. The wine was $15 a bottle including shipping, which I think is a very nice QPR. I think I like their Viognier a bit more than the Roussane, but that's a personal preference between the grapes more than anything else.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#463 Post by J a y H a c k » June 20th, 2019, 8:25 am

ChrisMcElligott wrote:
April 20th, 2019, 9:13 pm
My note from DV8 Viognier, I feel pretty strongly this was flawed. I have never had a Berserker wine I didnt enjoy and reading reviews of this wine I think this would be in my wheelhouse:

Marking this as flawed. Smells of cork taint. No fruit to speak of, tastes bitter and of alcohol. Poured half down drain. Berserker Day purchase, hope my other 2 bottles show better.
I had this and mine was fine. Sounds like a fluke. There is a bit of spiciness from classic viognier, which might have seemed bitter, but there was definitely fruit and floral components in what I had.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#464 Post by Andrew Demaree » June 20th, 2019, 8:46 am

Corey N. wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 8:00 am
  • 2015 Briceland Vineyards Zinfandel Dark Horse Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County (6/19/2019)
    Such a unique wine. Flavors typical of a Zinfandel, with bramble fruit, shading more red than purple but then there’s white floral and spice notes which add a beguiling complexity. Nice structure that suggests it will age, but delicious now. A lighter, more elegant expression of the grape that is simultaneously familiar, yet different. Schroedinger's Zinfandel.
Sounds really interesting, Corey. Thanks for posting the note. I’ll keep an eye out for Briceland zin in next year’s Berserker Day.

ChrisMcElligott
GCC Member
GCC Member

#465 Post by ChrisMcElligott » June 20th, 2019, 11:30 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 8:25 am
ChrisMcElligott wrote:
April 20th, 2019, 9:13 pm

I had this and mine was fine. Sounds like a fluke. There is a bit of spiciness from classic viognier, which might have seemed bitter, but there was definitely fruit and floral components in what I had.
Good note on Roussane and I concur with your thoughts, We definitely picked up the oily notes as well. I had another Viognier on deck for the wknd but we never got to it, perhaps this wknd?

MikeHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

#466 Post by MikeHill » June 26th, 2019, 9:39 pm

PNP a BD10 2017 Princess and the Peasant Carignan. Don’t have much experience with this varietal, but I really enjoyed this, especially after an hour to breathe. Bright cherries, slight earthiness, fresh acidity. I suspect this will be even better with a little more time, but don’t know my bottles will last that long...at $20, great QPR and weekday wine.

David Mc

#467 Post by David Mc » June 30th, 2019, 4:05 pm

2013 EMH Blackcat, with grilled NY strip.

Grilled a "grass-fed, grass-finished" NY strip but overcooked it, medium well :( . Does this natural beef cook faster? I forgot it was natural and cooked it 9 minutes on a hot gas grill. Probably could have one 6 minutes for a medium rare.
Mc = M c I n t i r e

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#468 Post by Paul Miller » June 30th, 2019, 4:26 pm

Tonight a 2013 Jean Edwards Seventy-Four Forty-One Napa Cab. Just opened 20 minutes ago. Plum aroma. Dark, dense fruit. Nice tannins. Should go well with the steak I’m grilling.

Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion

#469 Post by Dave McIsaac » July 1st, 2019, 12:21 pm

Andrew Demaree wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 8:46 am
Corey N. wrote:
Sounds really interesting, Corey. Thanks for posting the note. I’ll keep an eye out for Briceland zin in next year’s Berserker Day.
I would also very strongly suggest giving the Boheme zin a try. His 2013 Old Mancini Ranch Old Vines is exceptional. I have been buying Carlisle's zins since the 2004 vintage (I think). The Boheme has less fruit, but outstanding savory and herbs, and lower alcohol.
You're the man Dave! I think i speak for all of us when i say that..😎 - John Cabot, BDXI

P Turk
GCC Member
GCC Member

#470 Post by P Turk » July 26th, 2019, 5:49 am

The ‘08 Virage was very good, and it went well with spicy Thai food.
Attachments
D8FDE166-3E45-4227-BA83-68E44CC4AA4A.jpeg
Phil

Michael Manix
GCC Member
GCC Member

#471 Post by Michael Manix » November 19th, 2019, 6:05 am

2011 Cabot Vineyards Syrah Marier Vineyard Humboldt County

I believe this was a Berserker day purchase.

2011 was a cool year for this vineyard and this shows in the wine’s personality. Retrained, balanced, old world, and quite pleasurable to drink. Wish I had more.

Corey N.

#472 Post by Corey N. » January 17th, 2020, 7:47 am

A few more recent notes on wines acquired from BerserkerDay* -- would love to read yours (NOTE: sometimes I feel like scoring, sometimes I don't. There's nothing to read into it):
  • 2008 Alpha Omega Proprietary Red - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/13/2020)
    Red and purple berries, cassis and herbs on the palate. Body is medium+ and tannins are nicely integrated. Velvety on the tongue. Lovely proportions to the wine. New world fruit, with an old world sensibility.

Very different -- and markedly better -- than my previous bottle, despite being acquired at the same time. (92 pts.)
  • 2015 Briceland Vineyards Syrah Ishi Pishi Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (12/25/2019)
    Simply fantastic. Dark red fruits with a pronounced hebal influence of oregano and sage. Incredibly savory and calls to mind the Northern Rhone moreso than California. Blind, this is a ringer for Côte Rôtie. Moderately scaled and well balanced with aging potential. Among the best Briceland wines/Californian Syrah that I've ever had. Stupendous. (94 pts.)
  • 2017 Briceland Vineyards Pinot Noir - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (12/14/2019)
    Light on its feet and dangerously drinkable. Red fruits encase a molten core of dark red fruit, shading to black and spice. A green herbal streak adds savoriness and complexity. The acidity is on point and the tannins already well integrated. A great appellation wine that kicks QPR in the face, then makes love to it and finally buys it dinner. I don’t know exactly what that all means, other than the fact that it’s delicious and a stupid good value. 13.4% abv. (91 pts.)
  • 2008 Keating Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer Georges III Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford (10/27/2019)
    Purple fruits are immediately evident — cassis blackberry, and plum — with a green herbal note adding complexity and interest. Medium bodied and well-balanced. 14.2%abv.

Eric Keating gave up his eponymous label last year. It’s a reminder of how tough the wine world can be. Hours in the vineyard and the cellar, subject to the fickleness of weather, and your capital is tied up in wine in the barrel. Given the quality/pricing on this wine, it’s a genuine shame — a rare instance of fair pricing for a premier vineyard.
  • 2013 Zepaltas Pinot Noir La Cruz Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (10/17/2019)
    Light+bodied with tart red fruit flavors of cranberry and cherry and a dollop of spice. There’s good acidity and brightness as if a lemon wedge was squeezed into the wine before bottling. Above average concentration and a somewhat clipped finish. In a nice place now. 13.1%abv. (90 pts.)

* - I don't always keep track of purchases so well.

Nøv¡¢k

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#473 Post by Mike Evans » January 17th, 2020, 9:09 am

Here are a bunch of notes on wines from BD participants (one of whom will be participating this year for the first time) since the last BD:

2014 Riverain Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (1/8/2020)
Rich and fruity with a nice bit of spice, mostly dark fruit but with enough red fruit to keep it interesting, the oak seems to express itself mostly in the spice rather than in sweet vanilla, which allows the fruit to express itself nicely. The tannins are soft and largely in the background and acidity brings a little freshness to the finish. Big Napa cabs aren’t normally my style, but Riverain consistently works for me. (92 pts.)

2016 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Momtazi Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, McMinnville (12/24/2019)
Deep slightly candied cherry and baking spice, seamless with a welcome twist of tart pomegranate on the finish, it keeps broadening with air, delicious and impressive. (92 pts.)

2013 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Berserkers' Cuvée - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (12/8/2019)
Not loaded with complexity, but rock solid and very enjoyable with cherry fruit and a touch of spice well-supported by acidity. (89 pts.)

2016 Paetra Riesling "K" - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (12/8/2019)
Pleasant apricot fruit with a touch of minerality and modest acidity, it showed more nuance with food than on its own, a very solid value. (87 pts.)

2014 Vincent Pinot Blanc - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, McMinnville (10/12/2019)
Floral with lemon and pear, clean and pure with nice zip on the finish. (90 pts.)

2014 Vincent Chardonnay - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/11/2019)
Lovely pure fruit with a mineral core and bright acidity, an exceptional value. (91 pts.)

2009 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Maresh Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (2/19/2019)
Exploring Goodfellow and Kelley Fox PN (Canoe, Atlanta, GA): Tangy red cherry and a touch of evergreen, lovely concentration and length with impeccable balance, not quite as complex as the 2009 PG Mysterious but with more crystalline elegance. (94 pts.)

2009 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Mysterious - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (2/19/2019)
Exploring Goodfellow and Kelley Fox PN (Canoe, Atlanta, GA): Incredible depth, cherry and raspberry with savory earthiness, wonderful kaleidoscopic complexity, compelling and outstanding. (94 pts.)

2016 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Heritage No. 7 Whistling Ridge Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (2/19/2019)
Exploring Goodfellow and Kelley Fox PN (Canoe, Atlanta, GA): Beautifully pure dark cherry with a little spice, it took a little time to open but it did so with great class. (93 pts.)

2016 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Maresh Vineyard Red Barn Blocks - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (2/19/2019)
Exploring Goodfellow and Kelley Fox PN (Canoe, Atlanta, GA): Crystalline purity of ripe dark cherry with a touch of spice and good acidity, very pretty and hard to stop drinking. (93 pts.)

2008 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Momtazi Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, McMinnville (2/19/2019)
Exploring Goodfellow and Kelley Fox PN (Canoe, Atlanta, GA): Deep dark cherry, brooding, but precise, with a little menthol, very good but it needs time to show more complexity, and all of the raw materials seem to be in place to let it do so. (92 pts.)

2015 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Durant Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (2/19/2019)
Exploring Goodfellow and Kelley Fox PN (Canoe, Atlanta, GA): Lovely pure dark cherry and beet root with a touch of spice, great balance, medium weight, plenty of fine tannin supports the fruit and should give it a decent life. (92 pts.)

2015 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Maresh Vineyard Star of Bethlehem Flower Block - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (2/19/2019)
Exploring Goodfellow and Kelley Fox PN (Canoe, Atlanta, GA): Dark cherry and a dash of herbs, with a savory middle and finish, excellent concentration, and terrific with a duck breast with a beet sauce. (92 pts.)

2015 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Fir Crest - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (2/19/2019)
Exploring Goodfellow and Kelley Fox PN (Canoe, Atlanta, GA): Darker fruit than the Durant with some evergreen, not showing as much complexity and a little tighter as well. Nice, but it needs time. (90 pts.)

2013 Briceland Vineyards Zinfandel Ishi Pishi Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (2/3/2019)
Raspberry/blackberry fruit with a touch of spice, moderately ripe but with crisp acidity and lots of life remaining, if they grew Zin in Beaujolais I think it would be a lot like this. (91 pts.)

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#474 Post by Nate Simon » January 17th, 2020, 10:24 am

The Princess & Peasant Carignan was pleasant when I recevied it post-BD-10, but has really opened up into a pretty wine.

paultgilmore

Briceland 2013 Alderpoint Vineyard Pinot Noir

#475 Post by paultgilmore » January 19th, 2020, 1:49 pm

Down to my last three bottles. Beautiful aroma leaves the glass on initial pour. Notes of cherry and a touch of cedar. Medium color depth. On the palate, cherry notes continue with good acid balance. Great food wine. Developed a bit more richness by the second night.

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#476 Post by Mattstolz » January 19th, 2020, 1:57 pm

Mike Evans wrote:
January 17th, 2020, 9:09 am

2015 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Maresh Vineyard Star of Bethlehem Flower Block - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (2/19/2019)
Exploring Goodfellow and Kelley Fox PN (Canoe, Atlanta, GA): Dark cherry and a dash of herbs, with a savory middle and finish, excellent concentration, and terrific with a duck breast with a beet sauce. (92 pts.)
without a doubt I think her Maresh vineyard bottlings are the top of the top. I have a bottle of this exact wine that I plan on holding a little bit (2015 is my anniversary). how do you think it'll do with a few more years?

also did you drink all those in a single tasting?? if so, wow what a night!

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#477 Post by Peter Petersen » January 19th, 2020, 4:32 pm

Two bottles of the 2014 Lagier Meredith Tribidrag.
Great wine that I always forget to buy when it is released.

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#478 Post by Mike Evans » January 20th, 2020, 6:26 am

Mattstolz wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 1:57 pm
Mike Evans wrote:
January 17th, 2020, 9:09 am

without a doubt I think her Maresh vineyard bottlings are the top of the top. I have a bottle of this exact wine that I plan on holding a little bit (2015 is my anniversary). how do you think it'll do with a few more years?

also did you drink all those in a single tasting?? if so, wow what a night!
I don’t think it should have any problems going a few more years. The Goodfellow and Kelley Fox tasting was courtesy of a generous local fellow Berserker and was both eye-opening and exciting.

Alan Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#479 Post by Alan Newman » January 20th, 2020, 7:58 am

Corey N. wrote:
January 17th, 2020, 7:47 am
[*]2015 Briceland Vineyards Syrah Ishi Pishi Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (12/25/2019)
Simply fantastic. Dark red fruits with a pronounced hebal influence of oregano and sage. Incredibly savory and calls to mind the Northern Rhone moreso than California. Blind, this is a ringer for Côte Rôtie. Moderately scaled and well balanced with aging potential. Among the best Briceland wines/Californian Syrah that I've ever had. Stupendous. (94 pts.)
Corey- thanks for your note- prompted me to take advantage of Andrew's pre-Berserker Day offer.

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#480 Post by JeremyMullman » January 20th, 2020, 7:59 am

2017 Sojourn Rodgers Creek PN, last night. Absolutely sublime bottle of Sonoma Coast pinot.

Corey N.

#481 Post by Corey N. » January 20th, 2020, 9:49 am

Alan Newman wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 7:58 am
Corey N. wrote:
January 17th, 2020, 7:47 am
[*]2015 Briceland Vineyards Syrah Ishi Pishi Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (12/25/2019)
Corey- thanks for your note- prompted me to take advantage of Andrew's pre-Berserker Day offer.
I hope you like the wine as much as I did. I've had this bottling a few times and it's only getting better. FWIW, Ishi Pishi Ranch and Ronda's Vineyard are my two favorite sites from where Andrew sources fruit.

Nøv¡¢k

Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member

#482 Post by Scott Watkins » January 20th, 2020, 2:36 pm

Prepping for next weeks debacle :) she floats like a butterfly!
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#483 Post by Dave H. » January 20th, 2020, 3:48 pm

Had a Longplay 2015 Jory Bench Reserve Pinot Noir this weekend. More new oak than usual for a Longplay wine, but the Pinot from a ripe year could could take it. Extremely tasty bottle of Oregon Pinot that has previously shown up with great pricing on BD.
Hendrik

Nick F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#484 Post by Nick F. » January 20th, 2020, 4:09 pm

Are there any recommendations for some of who like the occasional heavy handed oak treatment?
i a s c o n e

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#485 Post by Anton D » January 20th, 2020, 4:10 pm

I popped a Foursight Charles Vineyard pinot for my son and niece last night and it sang like crazy!

Delish!
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Alan Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#486 Post by Alan Newman » January 20th, 2020, 5:05 pm

Corey N. wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 9:49 am
I hope you like the wine as much as I did. I've had this bottling a few times and it's only getting better. FWIW, Ishi Pishi Ranch and Ronda's Vineyard are my two favorite sites from where Andrew sources fruit.
Have a few 2014 Ronda's from a previous BD Day, but haven't cracked one yet.

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#487 Post by brigcampbell » January 21st, 2020, 12:24 pm

hey, lots of newbie introduction threads for wineries participating in BD11 right here

viewforum.php?f=82

Bill Sweeney
GCC Member
GCC Member

#488 Post by Bill Sweeney » January 21st, 2020, 1:40 pm

Corey N. wrote:
I opened the 2016 version of this wine. Delish!

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#489 Post by Peter Petersen » January 23rd, 2020, 6:21 pm

Drinking the 2014 Lagier-Meredith Malbec. Not sure if this was a BD sale or not but it is delicious. Carole, feel free to include that with Tribidrag in a mixed case BD sale. flirtysmile [cheers.gif]

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#490 Post by brigcampbell » January 23rd, 2020, 7:06 pm

Briceland is in BD11.
Bill Sweeney wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 1:40 pm
Corey N. wrote:
I opened the 2016 version of this wine. Delish!

Carole Meredith
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#491 Post by Carole Meredith » January 24th, 2020, 3:03 pm

Peter Petersen wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 6:21 pm
Drinking the 2014 Lagier-Meredith Malbec. Not sure if this was a BD sale or not but it is delicious. Carole, feel free to include that with Tribidrag in a mixed case BD sale.
I would if I could, but we just don't have enough Malbec left to be able to include it in an offer. We got your Tribidrag though, and some other lovelies. See you on BD! [cheers.gif]

(We do still have a few bottles of Malbec available on our website at the regular price.)
Carole Meredith
Lagier Meredith Vineyard
Mount Veeder, Napa

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#492 Post by Joe Chanley » January 24th, 2020, 5:50 pm

No formal notes but had a 2014 Lagier Meredith Syrah around Xmas that was ripping. 2017 Vincent Willamette Valley PN this past weekend that is an incredible value. 2016 Goodfellow Whistling Ridge tonight to reaffirm that I still don’t have enough of Marcus’ wines.

Dan F

#493 Post by Dan F » January 26th, 2020, 7:03 pm

Drank a couple Briceland's recently in anticipation of BD. My experience with the 2013 Petit Verdot largely mirrored Alfert's 2012 from another thread. Full spectrum of berry's red to dark, one of the darker Briceland's I've had, but still light on its feet with nice acidity. Also had a 2015 Ronda's Pinot Noir, slightly darker profile than some prior years, more cherry with less of the cranberry/hibiscus of some other vintages; still very much a "cool climate" style at 12.9 abv. Easily my favorite BD find a few years back with case purchases each year since.
f i n e $ t e i n

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#494 Post by Siun o'Connell » January 26th, 2020, 8:17 pm

We had a mag of Tercero Rose (2016) and two bottles of 2014 Paetra Riesling last night during Chinese New Year at Sun Wah and both were just so damn good.Two different guests at the table were excited I had "brought their favorite Rose". Glad we can stock back up!

Dennis Sullivan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#495 Post by Dennis Sullivan » January 26th, 2020, 8:49 pm

Yesterday 2014 JB Neufeld Cabernet Sauvignon Yakima Valley.
Today, last bit of the JBN, and 2013 Lagier Meredith Tribidrag.

Both were rockin' good.

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#496 Post by Jud Reis » February 8th, 2020, 2:38 pm

Got my first shipment of this year’s wines this week and cracked a 2017 Hersly Sauvignon Blanc - Grassy nose with just a bit of gooseberry and white peaches. Similar flavors on the palate with a nice blend of texture and white peach fruit. Very nice, could use just a bit more acidity would be my only quibble.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#497 Post by Nate Simon » February 8th, 2020, 3:24 pm

Terragena 2017 Riesling last night. Unexpectedly delightful.

Joe Webb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#498 Post by Joe Webb » February 28th, 2020, 2:38 pm

Anton D wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 4:10 pm
I popped a Foursight Charles Vineyard pinot for my son and niece last night and it sang like crazy!

Delish!
Happy to hear you enjoyed it and shared it.
Drink to remember not to forget!
ITB- Proprietor & Winemaker Foursight Wines, GM Londer Vineyards (RIP 2001-2013)

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#499 Post by Michael Martin » February 28th, 2020, 3:53 pm

2012 West of Temperance Aglianico. Great spot right now.

MikeHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

#500 Post by MikeHill » March 14th, 2020, 3:34 pm

2010 Veleta Cab from BDX.

PNP. Approachable from the start. Dark in color, slight bricking. Nose of cassis and cedar. More red fruited on the palate, raspberry, along with more oak. Medium body, grippy tannins, balanced with acidity. Classic style but with a Spanish intensity. Great QPR.

Return to “Wine Talk”