Has Anyone Been Drinking BerserkerDay Wines Lately?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Nick Ellis

#351 Post by Nick Ellis » April 19th, 2018, 6:15 am

brigcampbell wrote:UPS driver to my glass. Great wine. Baby Rayas.
  • 2008 Biggio Hamina Cellars Syrah/Viognier XIV Deux Vert - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (2/9/2018)
    Medium light cranberry color with slight bricking. Nose is olive brine, sage and red berry. Medium/light mouthfeel, medium plus acidity balances it nicely. Lean raspberries, black currants and herbal tones. Medium finish. Very nice. Could come off as a well made Grenache based Châteauneuf de Pape. That's high praise.
Posted from CellarTracker
I Pobega'd a bottle of this last night and was equally impressed. Solid acidic backbone with dark fruits, but the herbal, peppery and meaty tones really stood out. There was a touch of bacon & band-aid (camphor maybe?) that made me immediately think of Northern Rhone. In fact I think this would be a great ringer in a Crozes or St Joseph tasting.

Er€z _ L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#352 Post by Er€z _ L. » May 13th, 2018, 8:43 am

• 2013 Etienne Calsac Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Clos des Maladries - Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (5/12/2018)
    Already showing a great floral nose from opening, that develops over the course of the evening. Tested over 3-4 hours and this dry side champagne certainly delivers. Great citrus/lemon, apricot and little honey on the palate. Long bubbles. Great gold/bright gold/slight greenish color (but I have to carefully assert the green as the light was not always the ideal in the venue). Medium plus finish once its been in the glass for about an hour or so.

Overall, excellent QPR. Should have gotten few more for longer term aging. Will hide few so I can get to that point

92+with growth potential. On a QPR alone probably even higher (92 pts.)
£ € n c n @ r

Corey N.

#353 Post by Corey N. » May 15th, 2018, 8:49 am

• 2013 Enkidu Humbaba - USA, California, Sonoma County (5/12/2018)
    Black fruited with excellent concentration and grippy tannins. The fruit is savory with the barest hint of vanilla sweetness, with pronounced green herbal notes to add complexity and interest. Very easy to drink and balanced; didn't notice any alcohol poking through. Built to age and should last another decade.

81% Syrah 81%, 19% Petite Sirah. 100% neutral oak barrels. 310 cases produced. 15.2%ABV.

A bit OT, even though the ABV on this wine would normally scare me away, I was interested because of Paul L, who works for the winery. I was pleasantly surprised by the balance of the wine and found it very drinkable. This would work very well with BBQ.
Nøv¡¢k

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#354 Post by ky1em!ttskus » May 15th, 2018, 8:48 pm

Opened a 2015 Navarro Navarrouge tonight. Stood up to chicken enchiladas and it's nice on it's own now. Not super complex but I'd put it up against any $15 grocery store label zin/zin blend.

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#355 Post by dsGriswold » May 16th, 2018, 10:41 pm

• 2013 Random Wine Company Syrah Destiny Ridge Vineyards - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Horse Heaven Hills (5/13/2018)
    Berserker day wine from a couple years back and drinking very well. Inky dark purple with a nose of cassis and a whiff of cedar. Bold fruit with a touch of tart blueberry, some cane tannins with a bit of bitter. Paired well with grilled beef flank steak, but a little primary solo for my pinot palate. Improvement noted with more open time with plenty of bones for upside improvement with age. (91 pts.)
DennisG

David Mc

Re: Has Anyone Been Drinking BerserkerDay Wines Lately?

#356 Post by David Mc » September 1st, 2018, 4:11 pm

2012 EHM Black Cat with grilled top sirloin.

Purrrrfect
Mc = M c I n t i r e

Bret D!sk!n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#357 Post by Bret D!sk!n » September 1st, 2018, 6:25 pm

2014 Wilde Farm Syrah Halcon Vineyard with some grilled ribeyes. Delicious wine - wish I had more!

Corey N.

#358 Post by Corey N. » January 2nd, 2019, 7:42 am

Figured I'd resurrect this thread.

I tend to drink a fair amount of BersekerDay wines around this time of year. Some recent notes, with more to come soon...
  • 2013 Ladd Cellars Pinot Noir Cuvée Abigail - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (12/28/2018)
    Dark red cherries and clove on the nose and palate. Good concentration and acidity, finish is long and slightly sour. There’s an interesting dichotomy between the new world fruit and the old world wine style. Blind I’d have pegged this as Oregon. Really nice and will improve.
  • 2013 Zepaltas Cabernet Franc Pickberry - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (12/24/2018)
    Aromas of of red and blue fruit, lavender with earthy undertones.

The fruit has receded a bit and the wine is a nice balance of Red and blue fruit, earth and green pepper notes. The tannins are fairly well integrated with good acidity. Medium+ bodied. The fruit is Californian, but there’s still admirable restraint. 12.5%ABV.

From Magnum. Drink now - 2023.
  • 2014 Briceland Vineyards Malbec Ishi Pishi Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (12/15/2018)
    Medium purple colored with intense aromas of black cherry and blackberries. One the palate bright fruit — blackberries and black cherry— on an exceptionally lithe frame. Expands with air. Fleshed out and softened on day two. The structure is noticeable with high acidity and medium+ tannins. Somewhat atypical for Malbec in a good way; not jammy, big or hot — this clocks in at only 12.4% abv. Easy to drink now, will improve with short/mid term aging.

51 cases made. (91 pts.)
  • 2010 Virage Vineyards - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/22/2018)
    Red and black fruits on the nose with a hint of red chili pepper. The palate follows the nose, with the addition of a gravelly note. Old world style and quite savory. The Cabernet Franc shows through. Medium bodied with good lift and dangerously quaffable. I’m a fan. (92 pts.)
Nøv¡¢k

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#359 Post by dsGriswold » January 2nd, 2019, 4:02 pm

I contributed an '07 Virage for Thanks Giving dinner with standing rib roast. Never made notes during diner and nothing left after dinner. Very tasty as I remember.
DennisG

Corey N.

#360 Post by Corey N. » January 4th, 2019, 10:48 am

Two more:
  • 2013 Longplay Pinot Noir Jory Bench Reserve Lia's Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (1/3/2019)
    Complex nose of cranberry, strawberry and jasmine. The fruit is a bit larger scaled with flavors of sour cranberry, rhubarb and a touch of earth. Finishes long- with some tartness. Works better with food than alone. 13% abv.
  • 2015 Briceland Vineyards Syrah Ishi Pishi Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (1/3/2019)
    Quite nice. A bit more lush than I'm used to from Briceland, with a melange of dark fruits and a subtle, pleasing note of bacon fat. Very good at this stage but I expect it to be even better when it drops some baby fat.
Nøv¡¢k

Billy Norris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#361 Post by Billy Norris » January 4th, 2019, 11:02 am

'14 JB Neufeld Two Blondes. Really starting to come into its own! A luscious, very giving nose, and a more mineral-driven, higher acid palette. Sits in a real sweet spot for my preferences.

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#362 Post by Dave H. » January 4th, 2019, 5:15 pm

2016 Paetra “S” Riesling- Dense, juicy, off-dry Riesling. Tastes like peaches. Prickly on the tongue. 10% abv. Every Paetra I’ve had has been very good. The skin fermented offering is particularly exciting. If they participate this year, it’s close to a no-brainer for white wine drinkers.
Hendrik

Corey N.

#363 Post by Corey N. » January 4th, 2019, 5:43 pm

Dave H. wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 5:15 pm
2016 Paetra “S” Riesling- Dense, juicy, off-dry Riesling. Tastes like peaches. Prickly on the tongue. 10% abv. Every Paetra I’ve had has been very good. The skin fermented offering is particularly exciting. If they participate this year, it’s close to a no-brainer for white wine drinkers.
Very intriguing. Did you get a sense of ageability?
Nøv¡¢k

Scott Goodwin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#364 Post by Scott Goodwin » January 4th, 2019, 5:55 pm

Billy Norris wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 11:02 am
'14 JB Neufeld Two Blondes. Really starting to come into its own! A luscious, very giving nose, and a more mineral-driven, higher acid palette. Sits in a real sweet spot for my preferences.
Had this at Christmas dinner alongside the '13 Cameron Hughes Lot 599 CS. The JB Neufeld was a lot more restrained (in a good way from my perspective) than the CH. But it was delicious. Haven't had one before (BD IX first-time purchase!) so don't have any perspective on its progression. Definitely agree with the mineral-driven characteristic. Will probably sit on my other bottle for a while to see what happens.

Scott

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#365 Post by Dave H. » January 4th, 2019, 6:02 pm

Corey N. wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 5:43 pm
Dave H. wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 5:15 pm
Very intriguing. Did you get a sense of ageability?
I’m not smart enough to hazard a guess. I think the winemaker crafts these with an eye toward cellaring, and I have no reason to doubt it. This was also “only” about $20 on BD, so it’s hard to keep your paws off a really delicious wine.
Hendrik

Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member

#366 Post by Bryan Price » January 4th, 2019, 8:59 pm

Jim Hartten wrote:
March 28th, 2018, 12:00 pm
2012 Arcadian Clos Pepe PN. My first Arcadian and I really enjoyed this. Nice medium weight with fairly tightly wound red fruit flavors framed by nice acidity and round tannins. The wine opened up nicely over two hours and finished reasonably long and complex. Reminded me somewhat of a Rhys bottling in terms of structure. Nice future for this wine! Glad to have 3 more in the cellar. [cheers.gif]
You gotta get your hands on some mid 2000s Arcadian Pisoni or Francesca's. Some of the best pinot noir in the Central Coast, and California as a whole!

Todd - pretty sure you should organize a local meetup on BD so we can drink all day and make some good choices ordering lots of wine!
Life's too short to drink bad wine.

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#367 Post by Mike Evans » January 5th, 2019, 5:35 pm

One from today, with more coming on Wednesday:

2009 Bodega Dominio Buenavista / Veleta Tempranillo Privilegio - Spain, Andalucía, Vino de la Tierra Contraviesa Alpujarra (1/5/2019)
Ripe blackberry fruit with a touch of vanilla, ample fine tannin on the palate keeps the fruit in check and adds a very nice texture. Not terribly complex but very satisfying. (88 pts.)

Drew Goin

#368 Post by Drew Goin » January 5th, 2019, 9:37 pm

I am going to try to reach out to the Rivens soon. They have moved to France, so I don't know what has become of The Princess & The Peasant. [cry.gif]

TP&TP has produced some of the best Carignan wines I have ever tasted!

Perhaps we can expect another "Poor Ranch" Carignan from West of Temperance on Berserker Day...?

Brian Ojalvo
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#369 Post by Brian Ojalvo » January 5th, 2019, 10:58 pm

West of Temperance 2016 Poor Ranch Carignane will most definitely be available for our upcoming Berserkerday extravaganza!
West of Temperance Winery

Drew Goin

#370 Post by Drew Goin » January 6th, 2019, 7:58 am

Brian, I am excited to hear that!!! [cheers.gif]

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#371 Post by larry schaffer » January 6th, 2019, 8:06 am

Well heck, I'll guess I'll make my 2016 Carignane part of my release then - since there seems to be more 'love' for the variety [snort.gif] flirtysmile champagne.gif

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Drew Goin

#372 Post by Drew Goin » January 7th, 2019, 4:17 am

IS Berserker Day on January 28th??

newhere

Drew Goin

#373 Post by Drew Goin » January 7th, 2019, 4:22 am

larry schaffer wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 8:06 am
Well heck, I'll guess I'll make my 2016 Carignane part of my release then - since there seems to be more 'love' for the variety [snort.gif] flirtysmile champagne.gif

Cheers!

Thanks Larry!

I am psyched to see that the Carignan "movement" is getting more love!

Tercero 2016 Carignane "Santa Barbara County"

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#374 Post by larry schaffer » January 7th, 2019, 6:53 am

Drew Goin wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 4:17 am
IS Berserker Day on January 28th??

newhere
It's always on the 27th, my friend - the same day as one of my kid's birthdays flirtysmile

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Dan R

#375 Post by Dan R » January 8th, 2019, 1:37 am

Drew Goin wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 9:37 pm
They have moved to France, so I don't know what has become of The Princess & The Peasant. [cry.gif]
Thanks Drew! We'll definitely be participating, giving Berserkers first crack at our '17 Poor Ranch Carignan.
D Rivin
Princess and the Peasant

robert creth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#376 Post by robert creth » January 8th, 2019, 10:20 am

Any alternative to the ocean of Pinot coming is great!

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#377 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 8th, 2019, 10:38 am

Dan R wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 1:37 am
Drew Goin wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 9:37 pm
They have moved to France, so I don't know what has become of The Princess & The Peasant. [cry.gif]
Thanks Drew! We'll definitely be participating, giving Berserkers first crack at our '17 Poor Ranch Carignan.
Fantastic!! I LOVED the P&P Carignane from last BerserkerDay!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#378 Post by Mike Evans » January 10th, 2019, 7:27 am

Two more from last night:

2012 Chester's Anvil Gretna Green - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/9/2019)
White melon, with a lemon twist, mineral, mid-weight, quite pleasant and holding up well. Equal in quality to a 2016 Alban Rousanne tasted with it, but in a more restrained style. (90 pts.)

1998 Lagier Meredith Syrah - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder (1/9/2019)
Brambly fruit with a little mint, exquisite and complex, I would love to put it blind in an Hermitage tasting, but it would be pretty unfair to almost any but Chave. First rate with plenty of life remaining. (93 pts.)

Corey N.

#379 Post by Corey N. » January 10th, 2019, 7:34 am

Mike Evans wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 7:27 am

White melon, with a lemon twist, mineral, mid-weight, quite pleasant and holding up well. Equal in quality to a 2016 Alban Rousanne tasted with it, but in a more restrained style. (90 pts.)

1998 Lagier Meredith Syrah - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder (1/9/2019)
Brambly fruit with a little mint, exquisite and complex, I would love to put it blind in an Hermitage tasting, but it would be pretty unfair to almost any but Chave. First rate with plenty of life remaining. (93 pts.)
Great notes as always. Do you find most of the LM Syrahs are capable of going 20 years from vintage?
Nøv¡¢k

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#380 Post by Steve Gautier » January 10th, 2019, 7:48 am

I had a 2013 Cabot Vineyards Pinot Noir Nash Mill last night. While I continue to like John's Syrah more than his Pinot Noir, at the price point, it was enjoyable and I liked it more than it looks like Frank and Brig did in late 2016. The additional time probably gave it some more balance but it is a bigger Pinot and Brig's comment of aggressive is still applicable.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#381 Post by Mike Evans » January 10th, 2019, 8:22 am

Corey N. wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 7:34 am
Mike Evans wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 7:27 am

Great notes as always. Do you find most of the LM Syrahs are capable of going 20 years from vintage?
Thanks, and that’s a good question. Unfortunately I don’t really have an answer as I haven’t had any vintages other than the 1998 in at least 10 to 12 years. I bought several 1998s on release and am down to one left and think I bought 1999 and 2000 on the mailing list as well but they are long gone. I have a vertical of 2001 through 2006 and 2011 through 2013 from past BD offers, but have held off on opening any with the vague plan of doing a vertical tasting at some point.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#382 Post by Merrill Lindquist » January 10th, 2019, 9:13 am

robert creth wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 10:20 am
EMH has a selection of Black Cat Cabernet to balance the "ocean of Pinot!"
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#383 Post by Brian Tuite » January 10th, 2019, 2:40 pm

Popped an ‘09 Cabot Tributary the other night that I obviously did not give the best cellaring. Too bad.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

sdfruman
BerserkerDay All-Pro
BerserkerDay All-Pro

#384 Post by sdfruman » January 15th, 2019, 3:17 pm

I brought two bottles of the 2011 Cabot Pinot Noir Nash Mill to Friendsgiving dinner and everyone loved it! The wine was singing and complemented the meal perfectly! Then I realized that I'm almost out of Cabot PN. Time to re-up!
Sheila

“There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne.”
― Bette Davis

Bill Sweeney
GCC Member
GCC Member

#385 Post by Bill Sweeney » January 17th, 2019, 11:45 am

Briceland 2014 Ronda’s vnyd Pinot: with about an hour decant, a lovely Pinot, restrained and still a little young, but excellent fruit acid and good intensity. I figure it needs another couple of years cellaring to really shine, but it has class and is a great value. An easy repeat buy given the chance.

Corey N.

#386 Post by Corey N. » January 17th, 2019, 12:14 pm

Bill Sweeney wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 11:45 am
Briceland 2014 Ronda’s vnyd Pinot: with about an hour decant, a lovely Pinot, restrained and still a little young, but excellent fruit acid and good intensity. I figure it needs another couple of years cellaring to really shine, but it has class and is a great value. An easy repeat buy given the chance.
Ronda's is my favorite Briceland PN as I think it offers the most complexity, though I've also enjoyed the Reserve in years where it is available.
Nøv¡¢k

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#387 Post by mattcitrang » January 17th, 2019, 12:17 pm

robert creth wrote:
Castelli Nebbiolo and Sangiovese.

Vincent Chardonnay and Pinot Blanc.

Paetra Riesling.

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#388 Post by dcornutt » January 17th, 2019, 1:45 pm

Corey N. wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 12:14 pm
Bill Sweeney wrote:
Ronda's is my favorite Briceland PN as I think it offers the most complexity, though I've also enjoyed the Reserve in years where it is available.
I just bought a few from Andrew this year. These pinots are extremely good. I haven't really started wading through my stash yet but this is a fabulous value for the quality. His Berserker Day prices are fantastic. Not many bottles available however.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

ChrisMcElligott
GCC Member
GCC Member

#389 Post by ChrisMcElligott » January 18th, 2019, 3:00 pm

I do t post notes here but with impending Berserker Day...here goes. Windy Oaks whole cluster 2010:
Gorgeous nose of red fruit and damp earth, a little campfire? Of course im sitting next to my fireplace sooo.....? Can really feel and taste that whole cluster. Man this finishes long too. The fruit is ripe and almost heavy mouthfeel. Just lingers. I wonder if this would be too much for some who prefer their Pinots on the lighter side. I think this was my first Berserker Purchase. I bought first couple years and am running low so If Judy shows up with an offer this year I will be buyer. Well made and delicious.

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#390 Post by larry schaffer » January 18th, 2019, 3:18 pm

robert creth wrote:
Hmmmmmmm champagne.gif grouphug
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Lee Short

#391 Post by Lee Short » January 18th, 2019, 4:14 pm

dcornutt wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 1:45 pm
Corey N. wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 12:14 pm
Bill Sweeney wrote:
I just bought a few from Andrew this year. These pinots are extremely good. I haven't really started wading through my stash yet but this is a fabulous value for the quality. His Berserker Day prices are fantastic. Not many bottles available however.
Had a 2014 Alderpoint Pinot recently. It wasn't quite as open as previous bottles, but started to show well with an hour of air. This was at a restaurant, so the bottle was finished in ~2 hours, and I had the feeling that the wine was still unfolding. A very different showing than previous bottles -- less forward fruit, and more depth to it. Can't wait to see this wine with some age. But definitely not a waste to open one now.

Bill H o o p e r

#392 Post by Bill H o o p e r » January 18th, 2019, 4:28 pm

mattcitrang wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 12:17 pm
robert creth wrote:

Paetra Riesling.
Thanks Matt!

It's gonna be a good one this year!

Cheers,
Bill
Paetrawine.com
Oregon Riesling

rebecca h.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#393 Post by rebecca h. » January 23rd, 2019, 9:55 am

Has anyone tried the Pennyroyal Farm PN? I missed it last year and am interested if it comes around again.
h. is horw!tz

Geoff Moore
GCC Member
GCC Member

#394 Post by Geoff Moore » January 23rd, 2019, 1:15 pm

I, too, have really enjoyed my Berserker Day purchases from Briceland. Andrew does great work and it's been nice to try wine from Humboldt and Mendocino Counties. The Ishi Pishi Ranch Syrahs have become particular favorites in my household, and our friends and neighbors have enjoyed them, too. Looking forward to the BDX offerings and all that is to come from Briceland.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#395 Post by Anton D » January 23rd, 2019, 1:19 pm

We get consistent enjoyment from the EMH wines all through the year.

Thumbs up for anybody considering them for Berserker day!
Anton Dotson

stewart lancaster

#396 Post by stewart lancaster » January 23rd, 2019, 2:12 pm

Bill H o o p e r wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 4:28 pm
mattcitrang wrote:
robert creth wrote:

Paetra Riesling.
Thanks Matt!

Cheers,
Bill
I have bought the last 2 years but only opened one so far!

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#397 Post by mattcitrang » January 23rd, 2019, 2:22 pm

stewart lancaster wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 2:12 pm
Bill H o o p e r wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 4:28 pm
mattcitrang wrote:

Paetra Riesling.
Thanks Matt!

Cheers,
Bill
I have bought the last 2 years but only opened one so far!
What are you waiting for?

John Simpson
BerserkerDay All-Pro
BerserkerDay All-Pro

#398 Post by John Simpson » January 23rd, 2019, 2:29 pm

Has anyone been drinking BD wines lately?
Heck Yes!!

Beginning in December I make a point to revisit as many of my BD purchases as possible in preparation for the upcoming BD. This helps me clarify how my tastes have changed in the past year and better focuses my buying interests for the January extravaganza. During the year I rarely post tasting notes: you are far better at it than I am so I leave those insights to more experienced/sensitive palates. But FWIW, here are a few thoughts about some of my favorite BD producers who I think warrant a bit more 'air time.'

Several caveats to begin: my tastes have clearly changed in the past year or two. For most BD available varietals I now typically prefer 'lighter' crisp, tart expressions with distinct fruit profiles, plenty of tannins, and relatively lower alcohol levels. It appears my days have past enjoying big/round fruit-forward or candied high alcohol styles I associate with central California and some Sonoma/Napa producers, altho I drank all my Ladd Pinots from BD IX far too fast and I still enjoy Walter Hansel, Donelan and Copain (unfortunately not BD participants). And I don't buy to cellar for more than a few years with a budget that limits me to no more than $40/bottle and $25/bottle average for all BD buys delivered to Ohio, so many of your favorite producers are out of reach for me. Yet I'm now enjoying a wider range of reds and whites (!) than ever before (thanks in large part to BD), including roses that I open year round. So, here goes:

Briceland: I love Andrew's Ishi Pishi Ranch/Humboldt County Zinfandel and Syrah. They share a profile that hits the top of the palate, tho they're not thin. The Zin has bright, crisp purple fruit and typical Zin spice; the Syrah has a distinctive smoky red and dark fruit flavor with a pleasing hint of bacon fat. Both have plenty of tannins but are approachable right away. And he makes 3 Pinots that share the same distinctive character that in some ways blends classic RRV traits with Willamette Valley traits almost in the same manner the vineyard's geographic location is about midway between the two regions.

Wilde Farm: Loren also makes a Zin and Syrahs that exhibit my preferred 'lighter' side of the flavor profile. His Heritage Bedrock Zin has bright purple fruit and spice, a smooth texture, plenty of tannins, and lower alcohol that make it great right away. His Halcon and Cardiac Hill Syrahs exhibit the same stylistic touch. They're perhaps not as big/full bodied as Copain Syrahs, and much lighter than the Donelan Syrahs I love, but I enjoy them as part of my regular drinking mix.

So, I assume you're now getting a sense of my likes/dislikes. Moving northward to the Willamette Valley, I love pretty much everything Vincent, FrannyBeck, and Goodfellow make, regardless of varietal or red/white. While most of their offerings benefit from cellar time, they strike me as also being reasonably approachable right away. On the other hand, my stock of Patty Green Pinots seem a bit bigger and best when they rest several years longer, if I can keep my hands off them. All of these producers source fruit from leading WV vineyards and in some instances obtain fruit from the same sites, like Durant and Armstrong, which makes for interesting comparisons of the final product.

Lastly, BD introduced me to several small producers that I've only had limited experience with but hope to revisit, either on BD or in person. Bill Hopper at Weinbau Paetra specializes in Rieslings that seem to fit my preferences if not too sweet. iOTAand Longplay are primarily growers who also hold back some fruit to make their own bottling. iOTA sells fruit to Big Table Farm; Longplay sells to Patty Green and J Christopher among others. Good stuff.

So, what do I think all these BD producers have in common beyond my flavor/stylistic preference: I believe they all make good wine the right way for the right reason...

Cheers

Chadly S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#399 Post by Chadly S » January 23rd, 2019, 9:00 pm

John Simpson wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 2:29 pm
Has anyone been drinking BD wines lately?
Heck Yes!!

Beginning in December I make a point to revisit as many of my BD purchases as possible in preparation for the upcoming BD. This helps me clarify how my tastes have changed in the past year and better focuses my buying interests for the January extravaganza. During the year I rarely post tasting notes: you are far better at it than I am so I leave those insights to more experienced/sensitive palates. But FWIW, here are a few thoughts about some of my favorite BD producers who I think warrant a bit more 'air time.'

Several caveats to begin: my tastes have clearly changed in the past year or two. For most BD available varietals I now typically prefer 'lighter' crisp, tart expressions with distinct fruit profiles, plenty of tannins, and relatively lower alcohol levels. It appears my days have past enjoying big/round fruit-forward or candied high alcohol styles I associate with central California and some Sonoma/Napa producers, altho I drank all my Ladd Pinots from BD IX far too fast and I still enjoy Walter Hansel, Donelan and Copain (unfortunately not BD participants). And I don't buy to cellar for more than a few years with a budget that limits me to no more than $40/bottle and $25/bottle average for all BD buys delivered to Ohio, so many of your favorite producers are out of reach for me. Yet I'm now enjoying a wider range of reds and whites (!) than ever before (thanks in large part to BD), including roses that I open year round. So, here goes:

Briceland: I love Andrew's Ishi Pishi Ranch/Humboldt County Zinfandel and Syrah. They share a profile that hits the top of the palate, tho they're not thin. The Zin has bright, crisp purple fruit and typical Zin spice; the Syrah has a distinctive smoky red and dark fruit flavor with a pleasing hint of bacon fat. Both have plenty of tannins but are approachable right away. And he makes 3 Pinots that share the same distinctive character that in some ways blends classic RRV traits with Willamette Valley traits almost in the same manner the vineyard's geographic location is about midway between the two regions.

Wilde Farm: Loren also makes a Zin and Syrahs that exhibit my preferred 'lighter' side of the flavor profile. His Heritage Bedrock Zin has bright purple fruit and spice, a smooth texture, plenty of tannins, and lower alcohol that make it great right away. His Halcon and Cardiac Hill Syrahs exhibit the same stylistic touch. They're perhaps not as big/full bodied as Copain Syrahs, and much lighter than the Donelan Syrahs I love, but I enjoy them as part of my regular drinking mix.

So, I assume you're now getting a sense of my likes/dislikes. Moving northward to the Willamette Valley, I love pretty much everything Vincent, FrannyBeck, and Goodfellow make, regardless of varietal or red/white. While most of their offerings benefit from cellar time, they strike me as also being reasonably approachable right away. On the other hand, my stock of Patty Green Pinots seem a bit bigger and best when they rest several years longer, if I can keep my hands off them. All of these producers source fruit from leading WV vineyards and in some instances obtain fruit from the same sites, like Durant and Armstrong, which makes for interesting comparisons of the final product.

Lastly, BD introduced me to several small producers that I've only had limited experience with but hope to revisit, either on BD or in person. Bill Hopper at Weinbau Paetra specializes in Rieslings that seem to fit my preferences if not too sweet. iOTAand Longplay are primarily growers who also hold back some fruit to make their own bottling. iOTA sells fruit to Big Table Farm; Longplay sells to Patty Green and J Christopher among others. Good stuff.

So, what do I think all these BD producers have in common beyond my flavor/stylistic preference: I believe they all make good wine the right way for the right reason...

Cheers
I want to continue on the Briceland love. I tried them out at BD V and been enjoying them ever since. Briceland + Ishi PIshi = delicious. The Ishi Pishi Zin and Syrah were two of my new wine highlights in 2018. My notes on both wines are very similar to those above and end with an emphatic Buy Again. You can pair them nicely with food or drink alone on a random Tuesday night. Don't rule out the white wines either, specifically the Arneis. That is a wonderfully underrated wine for summer drinking and love Andrew's take on it. I just purchased some Rose, Pet Nat, and the Ishi Pishi Cabernet to try.

Ladd Cellars is another gem I found and have been drinking since BD IV. The Nash Mill Pinot Noir and the Moore Ranch Pinot Noir are my favorites.
Chad Szczepanski

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#400 Post by Merrill Lindquist » January 24th, 2019, 8:02 am

Anton D wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 1:19 pm
We get consistent enjoyment from the EMH wines all through the year.

Thumbs up for anybody considering them for Berserker day!
Thanks, Anton.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Return to “Wine Talk”