Ridge MB Steep Terraces 13

9 barrels, limited release 3 bottle max, $175 per bottle

Anyone in or passing as it might be 20 years before this can be drunk

i was going to ask the same question.
first release i believe - no doubt they sell out.

I’m a new subscriber to Ridge. So curious. $175 is high for my per bottle budget.
how much is normal monte bello futures?

" Introducing the 2013 Monte Bello Steep Terraces

For the first time ever, we have produced a unique bottling from this individual block within the Monte Bello Vineyard - The 2013 Monte Bello Steep Terraces. The grapes come from 42 year old vines that have consistently produced some of the highest quality wine from the Monte Bello vineyard.

Ridge Monte Bello Steep Terraces - 97 Points
‘Unctuous and deep on the palate, the Steep Terraces boasts magnificent intensity…possesses considerable freshness, which gives the flavors a distinctly red-fruit leaning profile. Raspberry jam, wild flowers, mint and pomegranate are fused into a long, sweet finish.’ - Antonio Galloni, Vinous Media

Due to limited production, only 9 barrels produced, a (3) three bottle limit applies. "

As a long time Monte Bello member, I’m not so happy that they are pulling out 9 barrels of their supposedly “best” cab that would have otherwise gone into the monte Bello. I kinda feel like I already paid for it… and now if I want it, I gotta buy it again. I’m going to pass as much as I love Ridge Monte Bello, $175 buys a lot bordeaux and a nice bottle of village burgundy.

G

I bought 3. Pricey, but I can’t see regretting it when I pop the first one in 20 years!

Yeah, I wavered a bit but deleted. $175 for 3 bottles is roughly 5 of the Monte Bello. Pass.

There were also offered in November, along with the Historic Vine Monte Bello. I bought three each then…and three each now. I have to imagine that these will be very special wines when they’re ready.

Also…you get a discount if you’re a Monte Bello futures buyer so they were $157 each for me, which made it easier to pull the trigger again.

My email mentioned only the Steep Terraces, although the Historic Vines is still available too. I bought 3 each last November, and am on the fence about buying any more … I agree with Ross that these should be very special in 20-30 years, but I’m not convinced I’ll be on the right side of the grass when they’re ready.

I had the same thought. Selfishly hoping this is a one year only deal, as the standard Monte Bello is one of my favorites.

Except that these wines would not have otherwise gone into Monte Bello. These are special parcels that, when tasted as part of assemblage, the team decided would have changed the nature of the MB more than they would have liked, but were standouts on their own. Sometimes they go in, sometimes not. When not, they would probably get declassified into the Estate Cab. But it’s not like the '13 MB is lesser for the fact that these two wines were made.

This was my thought exactly so Scott’s explanation is helpful

So instead of releasing it as Estate Cab, they release the wines at a higher price than the MB? I love Ridge, but I will have to pass on this one.

Except these are $10 less than MB, which was released at $185.

I’m not sure this is the case. It’s my understanding that these wines are made from grapes from a selection of specific blocks from the Montebello vineyard and are a much higher higher quality than the declassified Estate cab (which is a blend).

At retail maybe. My cost on the MB was roughly $100 a bottle; my cost for one of these is $157

Exactly. I believe my last MB futures order was $102/bottle. Had they priced these at $92, I would have purchased my entire allocation.

Impulsivity won over reason. In for 2.

Very intriguing but ill be dead be the time they mature

In for three. Ridge prices continue their climb upward…