TN: 2011 Rhys Pinot Noir Bearwallow Vineyard

• 2011 Rhys Pinot Noir Bearwallow Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (1/8/2017)
    I have complained about several bottles of the Bearwallow 2011. Maybe I drank them too young. The last 3 have gotten better and better. This wine was zappy and energetic with red fruit and spice. No signs of the overwhelming stems of the first few bottles. I think one should not touch most Rhys until at least their 5th birthday. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Love this bottling. Loved it a lot since the start. I hope they can only get better as it seems to be doing in your note. Thanks for the note!!

Decided to open a '12 Bearwallow last night (my bride to be picked it out actually), it really only got better as we drank it over the course of 3-4 hours. No decant, mostly a pop and pour for this. I’d agree let these wines go a little longer but it was her pick!

2011 Rhys Pinot Noir Bearwallow Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (1/5/2017)
– decanted immediately before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 3 hours –

NOSE: tart red fruits β€” cherry seems to stand out; some reserved sweet red fruit aromas; hint of oak; moderately expressive; hint of underbrush after 3 hours.

BODY: clear; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: high acidity; some fine, drying tannins; 13.5% alc. not noticeable; tart; faint green note; hint of leather; easy drinking; seems a bit reserved β€” not complex, but, on the other hand, this seems to be tense and waiting to relax; pleasant-enough to drink now, but I think this will improve with additional cellaring. Drink or Hold.

50, 5, 13, 16, 8 = (92+ pts.)

2011 Rhys Pinot Noir Bearwallow Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (12/7/2020)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 1.5 hours –

NOSE: red-fruited; savory; warm baking spices; overall, pretty open.

BODY: hint of age on the color: burgundy color of medium-light to medium depth; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: medium+ acidity; thinning red fruits; not funky; 13.5% alc. not noticeable; likely just barely on its downslope; very nice; Drink Now. Gut impression score: 89 - 90, which is down from previous bottles.

I was underwhelmed by this wine. Clipped on the finish. My sense is that it’s not that age-worthy, but I could be wrong.

Never liked this vintage. In fact actively dislike what has become of it - across the Rhys range.

2011 Rhys Pinot Noir Bearwallow Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (3/14/2021)
– decanted 3 hours before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –

Red-fruited with good acidity; not oaky or funky; alc. is well-hidden. Drinking quite nicely right now, and better than previous bottle. Seems there’s a little bit of bottle variation going on here. Good for Drinking Now.