TN: 2000 Ch. Yon-Figeac, Saint-Emilion Grand Cru

From 750 ml, purchased as a future and stored at home since delivery. After about an hour of air (no decant), the wine is opening up nicely now. The nose reminds of blackberry and saddle leather, and the wine appears still quite dark in the glass. In the mouth, the wine seems just ready to shrug off youthful exuberance and give way to more mature flavors. There are some rather fine, dusty tannins and decent acidity, and some juicy blackberry flavors mix with pencil lead and some earthy notes. While this wine performed above my expectations, I feel no need to rush to open my remaining few bottles as I think this is on the early side of its drinking window.

Thanks for the note. Picked up a few recently but have not yet tried.

Thanks for the nice note, Brad! Yon-Figeac is one of those underrated classified growths from St.-Emilion… In the recent two years, I had their 1999, 2000, and 2001. All three were delicious.

Please tell a Bordeaux newbie:
Any similarities with Figeac?

Claus – I can’t claim to have compared many vintages of the two estates’ wines side by side, so I will for the most part defer to others with more knowledge than I have in that regard. That said, I believe the land making up the Yon-Figeac vineyard was at one time long ago owned by Figeac.

If I am not mistaken, Figeac recently has used Michel Rolland as a wine making consultant, so at least as to recent vintages from that estate I would expect the style to reflect Rolland’s influence.