What to look for on a sherry bottle

Thought I would share my latest piece for the DO de Jerez: What to look for on a sherry bottle. I appreciate that buying sherry can seem unnecessarily complicated but the good news is that as the region recovers young winemakers are making wines distinguishable by vintage and even by terroir. May be more complex in the short term but it is worth it.

Thanks Andrew.

Thanks Andrew!!

I have used the “Lot Number” dating approach in my shopping efforts before, where applicable. Many of the bottles on local store shelves have indicated that the Sherry wines here are older.

I would think that it matters less with the bolder or sweeter styles, but am I wrong to avoid a Fino from 2012?

A Fino from 2012 might be absolutely fascinating. The effect of bottle ageing on these wines is so varied it is impossible to say for sure - had a 10 year old fino from macharnudo (Equipo Navazos No 2) that was as fresh as a daisy. However that was a fantastic wine to start with.

Hard to get anything as old as that now in fact - the fashion for bottle aged is all the go.