The most indulgent description - by the winery...

Clos Du Val Cabernet Sauvignon 2013

"Charateristic of Clos Du Val’s world-class style, the 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon continues the winery’s tradition of producing truly elegant wines of balance and complexity. It’s opulent, brooding purple hue is accentuated with aromas of ripe black and purple fruit, leather and subtle hints of toast. The palate displays a seamless integration of intense yet approachable fruit flavors that incluse blackberry and currant with a hint of carob. A rich yet powerful mouth-feel marked by focused, silky tannins give way to a long, lingering finish".

Ok so “world class style” - The style is world class ala Margaux but the wine is standard “I’ll spring for it” restaurant fare.

“Intense yet approachable” - approachable maybe after I have gotten plastered on some microbrewed mountain IPA. This stuff will not be ready for at least 5 years.

“Focused, silky tannins” - code word for “dry”. No sensation of silk…

“Opulent, brooding purple hue” - who writes these descriptions? How can a hue be opulent?

“Long, lingering” the true poet will not use 2 words that mean the same thing… And it’s “medium long, lingering”…

“Aromas of black and purple fruit” - A catch all for “I’m not sure what I smell”…

C’mon Clos Du Val - you’re better than that. Be real. How about “Good juice, depending on which barrel it came from”…

Maybe/maybe not, Mark. First…this is a TN written by a PR hack…designed to sell wine, not to convey
impressions of a wine. It’s not written like a soaring/lilting TomHill TN. [snort.gif] So not worth getting ones knickers in a knot over.

Secondly, it is mis-puncuated. It should be “Long/lingering”, not “long,lingering”. Clearly, the TN author
didn’t have the benefit of learning puncuation from ole lady Kasper at NoblePrentis grade school in Kansas.

In a definitive TomHill TN, I will sometimes use “long” to describe a finish. Sometimes use “long/lingering” to describe an even longer finish that keeps going on. And sometimes use a “long/lingering finish that goes on & on” for one that goes on even longer on the palate. So it’s really about a matter of degree of length.
The last term is used for a finish that persists on the palate for 5.73 sec or longer. It’s a subtle/nuanced difference that’s beyond the grasp of a simple PR hack!! [snort.gif]
Tom

incluse blackberry and currant”
Does that mean it’s hiding in a safe room?

Domaine Serene . . . Better than DRC.

Why the fascination with length? My wife read the note and asked, “why don’t they ever get excited over the width? Intense yet approachable sounds too much like “crazy,” but you won’t know until you are alone together, and by then it’s too late to stay polite.”

I’ve read worse. Wineries are trying to sell juice and have only so many words they can use to make it sound believable. Cut them some slack: someone’s mortgage is on the line.

Marcus I disagree with basically everything you said. You make it sound line reviews aren’t about the Truth.

Hey, it’s the new post-truth tasting review era.

D’uh.

[cheers.gif]

Don’t forget the gratuitous mention of an obscure food item virtually no one will recognize (carob), simply to grant the TN an aura of mystery.

Plus, why tell people it tastes like beetles?

I sort of agree with someone’s mortgage is on the line concept, to make the description as “larger than life” as possible to max out their sales. But yes get the punctuation right, get the grammar right and get the description based in reality. How could the winemaker not read the back label description and cringe? Let the winemaker write the sales pitch… At least it will be rooted in reality.

biting my tongue

Because that makes it swell up and get wider. Careful, it won’t fit in your…cheek anymore.

Beetles tasting like carob? Where do you get this strange notion? Everyone knows what a beetle taste like: simply pop open an '04 red Burgundy!

Scarab/carob joke. My apologies.

Shouldn’t it be long–lingering? Garner page 754 slash- “is a mark that doesn’t appear much in first-- rate writing.” “the en-dash is usually a better choice. … Use (virgule – slash) as a last resort.”

2013 CABERNET SAUVIGNON “Napa Valley” - CLOS DU VAL WINERY

“The wine is standard “I’ll spring for it” restaurant fare. Approachable maybe after I have gotten plastered on some microbrewed mountain IPA. This stuff will not be ready for at least 5 years. No sensation of silk… How can a hue be opulent? I’m not sure what I smell… Good juice, depending on which barrel it came from…”

I see your point. This tasting note would definitely sell more wine…

Damn… as the #1 (possibly #2) 2004 Burg hater on the boards I’m disappointed I didn’t come up with that one first…

Post by Thomas Keim » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:51 pm
2013 CABERNET SAUVIGNON “Napa Valley” - CLOS DU VAL WINERY

"The wine is standard “I’ll spring for it” restaurant fare. Approachable maybe after I have gotten plastered on some microbrewed mountain IPA. This stuff will not be ready for at least 5 years. No sensation of silk… How can a hue be opulent? I’m not sure what I smell… Good juice, depending on which barrel it came from…"

I see your point. This tasting note would definitely sell more wine…

I had a rough day and the above post is cracking me up…

I am realistic and could offer this description:
“Our 2013 Cabernet Napa Valley reflects our pursuit to craft world-class wines at prices most working folks can afford. We produce this wine in large enough quantities to assure that everyone can get a taste whether at a quality restaurant, fine wine store or ski lodge pub that offers hand crafted microbrews. Be aware that our large case production may result in a slight variation (only a couple points) of taste and finish. But the basic core of the wine is there and though it finishes dry and slightly grainy now it will reward the patient connoisseur with a silky, sexy happy ending sometime down the road.”

Mark - I think they would sell more wine if they just moved you to the tasting room.