Recommendation Needed - Wine Moving Company

I moved to Texas from Chicago about 2 years ago. When I moved, I left about 20 cases of wine at Domaine in Chicago. I am finally ready to move that wine down to Texas. Does anyone have a recommendation for a company that could move the wine for me?

Domaine gave me a quote of $1,175, which was higher than I expected. It would also be handled through Domaine Wine Transit, a Missouri LLC. I do not want this thread to turn into a rehash of the Lazar thread, but that does raise some concerns for me.

Before I decide to fly to Chicago and drive the wine down myself, I thought I would ask the community for recommendations. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

II’d suspect it will be far cheaper to catch a very inexpensive 1-way flight, rent a full size SUV or van and drive back.

Here’s one I found in Chicago. No clue what costs are from them.
http://www.westerncarriers.com/wine-transportation-chicago.cfm

Andy, thank you. I will contact them. I will be in Chicago for a wedding over Memorial Day and unless I can find a shipping option for closer to the $600 range, then I will probably just get a one way ticket to Chicago, rent a car and drive the wine back.

Are any kinds of state permits typically required for a do-it-yourself interstate wine collection relocation?

I doubt that I am required to obtain a license to personally move it to Texas. But, I am sure that there are restrictions on commercial carriers.

Here is what Texas says about it…

Texas law allows a person to import an unlimited personal wine, spirits or malt beverage collection along with their household goods when relocating to Texas. > There is no paperwork involved and the typical state taxes are not owed. If you are moving to Texas from outside of the United States, you should contact U.S. Customs regarding federal regulations and taxes.

From the Alcoholic Beverage Code: Sec. 107.11. Importation Of Personal Collection.
(a) A person who is relocating a household may import, or contract with a motor carrier or another person to import, a personal malt beverage, wine, or distilled spirit collection as a part of that person’s household goods.
(b) Section 107.07 [regarding taxes and importation limits] does not apply to a person who is importing a personal malt beverage, wine, or distilled spirit collection under Subsection (a).

I am in a similar position but have less wine, it is at kent storage and I need to get it to NY. I have been planning to get a case or two at a time via plane and fed ex ground but I will likely end up driving it all back at once in the fall.

pretty annoying.

It’s also not as cheap as you’d think to do it yourself. When I relocated from Chicago to New Orleans four years ago, I rented an SUV to move 20 cases of wine. Cost was around $250 a day for the SUV, not including insurance and fuel. I picked the SUV up the evening before, loaded it up, and made the drive in one full day. Dropped the SUV off early morning the next day, so was charged for 2 days. If you didn’t want to do the drive in one full day, then you’re looking at having the vehicle for 2-3 days.

That plus airfare, fuel, your time, etc, and $1,175 doesn’t look so bad. Though I understand the concerns of not wanting to use Domaine given the other thread.

This is what I have been doing, but I am ready to just get everything moved.

Yes, I have been looking at rental cars and it is about a $400 proposition. I am HOPING that I could make it work without having to go to a SUV by stacking a few cases on the seat in the back and the front seat, but who knows. The plane ticket to Chicago is a sunk cost and I may actually save a bit by only buying a one way ticket. Regardless, it is not a cheap proposition.

FYI, the Western Carriers quote was $2,920. That breaks down as follows:

• $2,350 for temperature controlled door-to-door delivery;
  • $120 for double walled cardboard boxes with inserts;
  • $300 for packing if needed (packer places bottles from racks into the cardboard boxes)
  • $150 for insurance

[wow.gif] Doing it yourself doesn’t sound so bad afterall