Robert Parker: Best Red Wine Value of the Year

Stackhouse Cabernet 2014. Has anyone had it?

If I may note a second wine but the source is not Robert Parker. Rather it’s a blogger I believe in Anacortes at Compass Wines who has written about the “Eagle Beater.” That’s Eagle as in Screaming Eagle. He and several others would compare bottles of Woodinville Cellars Reserve to Screaming Eagle in covered bag competitions. Woodinville won. Consistently.

A friend of mine and I bought three cases of the Reserve from them last Christmas and when we received it (outside of D. C.) could not believe how good it was. This was their 2012. Even at $50 (or a $40 sale price for buying so much) it was well worth every penny.

Breathtaking that nobody has responded to this. I can only shake my head wondering why?

Robert Parker called Stack House 2014 cabernet the best red wine value of the year. He listed his top three with number one a white. Stack House cab was #2.

I took delivery of a case this morning from Napa Connection and should have let it sit for a couple of weeks before opening it. But I and several neighbors didn’t.

Decanted for an hour and poured in Zweisel 1872 mouthblown burgundy stems. I note this because given Parker’s enthusiasm I wanted to show it the same respect as a wine that cost four, five, eight times as much.

2014 Stack House cab is unctuously delicious, mouth coating, jammy-a full throated, smooth expression of cab that I really might have felt comfortable paying a hundred dollars or more for.

I just bought a second case.

For whoever is reading this, Parker had a great deal of credibility with me. Tonight my investment in his taste was confirmed.

Good luck finding it.

Parker has almost zero credibility remaining with the participants on this board.

1 Like

Then why do so many threads include his ratings?

Regardless, almost all of this is sold out. As I mentioned, good luck finding it.

Let me summarize:
“Why don’t you notice my post about a wine you cannot buy?”

In the aggregate not that many do. For those that do, about 1/3 are mocking him, 1/3 are bemoaning that a high Parker score will make it hard to buy a beloved wine, and the other 1/3 are newer board members who haven’t gotten over Bob yet.

Joe,

I’ve never heard of the wine until you started this thread. I preferred WA and Parker ratings in the past as they were the closest by what I preferred in a wine. For the last 5 years his ratings have been spotty to me with some right on and others I wondered if we are drinking the same wine. It’s your palate preference. Now I am curious about both of the wines, so I thank you for posting your thoughts and background on the wine. We have customers looking for great wines in that price range.

Maybe we’ve got better things to do? [snort.gif] neener

Robert Parker called Stack House 2014 cabernet the best red wine value of the year. He listed his top three with number one a white. Stack House cab was #2.

I took delivery of a case this morning from Napa Connection and should have let it sit for a couple of weeks before opening it. But I and several neighbors didn’t.

Bully for you!

Decanted for an hour and poured in Zweisel 1872 mouthblown burgundy stems. I note this because given Parker’s enthusiasm I wanted to show it the same respect as a wine that cost four, five, eight times as much.

2014 Stack House cab is unctuously delicious, mouth coating, jammy-a full throated, smooth expression of cab that I really might have felt comfortable paying a hundred dollars or more for.

Sounds like cough syrup, just a bit more expensive. Oh well, to each his own. newhere pepsi

I just bought a second case.

For whoever is reading this, Parker had a great deal of credibility with me. Tonight my investment in his taste was confirmed.

Good luck finding it.

Don’t need it! But if it makes you happy… [drinkers.gif]

Where’s that zzz… emoji when you need it?

I’m glad you found some wine you really like. Good for you. If you like it more because Robert Parker says it’s better than a cult wine, then even better for you.

Drink up with my compliments.

Even if Joe’s trolling this is still just gold.

Why do so many people on this board dislike Parker? If your tastes don’t line up with Parker’s tastes, so be it. But don’t get pissed off because some people’s tastes do line up with Parker’s. Everyone has different tastes, and everyone should respect those differences. Don’t accuse others of bad taste, bad motives, or anything else. Get over it.
Phil Jones

Serious question. Can it be found on lastbottle?

Do you have some time?

I see a ton of website that have it along with several local stores near me as well [scratch.gif] But rest assured, ill be picking up a few of these tomorrow to see what its about [cheers.gif]

newhere

Phil,
You have had these same comments on threads with Parker being mentioned before, the OP was questioning why no one has commented on this wine he likes, one comment above mentioned Parker in 3rds explaining exactly and Randy mentioning that he use to align with Parker, that’s it, don’t fan the flames, no one else was.

This wine seems to be widely available for about $35-$40 US. Looks like it is made from purchased grapes in Napa with a couple of young folks working their own label. They seem like nice people on the website with serious credentials in winemaking. So what is not to like? The wine is probably in the same line of wines like Educated Guess and others that are made in a fruit forward style from grapes that were not highly sought after, or second cuts from famous vineyards. I am sure it is enjoyable cabernet, if not likely very ageable. Too bad that there are not more projects like this instead of $400/bottle ego monuments in the valley…

That being said it is more interesting that a cursory search on winesearcher reveals multiple listings for this wine. In the “old” Parker days this wine would have sold out in a blinding flash. If you factor in the grade inflation, this is probably a “2000 Parker 92point wine”.

Everyone enjoy, it is the new year! What we do need is less hysteria about wine, and more pleasurable contemplation. There are enough Rob Rosanias out there, IMHO.

A final note, this is a quote from a retailer site concerning the 2014

Stacked in Your Favor!
Stack House sure is stacked. Mouth-coating, deep rich delicious Napa Cab. Oaky but the oak is perfectly integrated. You can lose with Stack House Cab.

My boldface added [wow.gif]

Damn, guess we will have to chose from the 3,500 great wines that ARE available right now and sell for half the price. Damn…

[bleh.gif]