Aging Bollinger Special Cuvée

A long time ago I read, I think in Tom Stevenson’s Sotheby’s Wine Encyclopedia, that aging Bollinger Special Cuvée for several years was a good thing. I’ve seen similar advice from several places since, so I’m not sure if there is a single original source for this idea. It’s common to see CT notes marking the bottle age for this wine as well.

In the past I had aged a few bottles for several years after purchase and always liked the results. To my taste the young wine has always been good but a bit raw, and the aging adds complexity and roundness.

On Christmas Day this year I pulled out a lone bottle that my wife bought several years ago, it turns out in December 2010, as I had written the date on the bottle. I remember taking a small beating when I suggested that we put it in the cellar (today I could probably get away with it more easily as my Champagne supply is much better). In any case, this turned out to be the finest bottle of this wine we’ve ever had. We just drank a young one a few weeks ago and the difference is dramatic. The aged bottle has much more complexity with a creamier texture and more toasty notes.

Anyone else aging these? Unfortunately I haven’t been buying and laying down more of them.

Why shouldn’t this apply to other NV Champagne as well?
I mean, have people tried it with others as well and were less happy with the results?

For the last few years, Tom Stevenson has had a very different view of Bollinger’s ability to age due to a movement to no/low SO2 at disgorgement. See his comments below from December 2013 on Wine Searcher. It’s terrific that you’ve had such great success despite the concerns Tom has raised.

"THE 5 MOST OVERRATED CHAMPAGNE PRODUCERS

Bollinger

If Bollinger was a human being, I would say that it was having a mental breakdown. This is a house that is able to cherry-pick the greatest, most talented chefs de cave in Champagne, if it so desired. Yet Matthieu Kauffman became the first chef de cave in Bollinger’s history to walk out earlier this year, and other staff in important positions have also left. This would have been unthinkable during the reign of the former chairman, Christian Bizot, let alone that of his aunt, Madame Lily Bollinger.

It saddens me to say, but this famous Champagne house has serious oxidation problems. Looking back at my own published notes, I can see that 12 to 15 years ago, Special Cuvée was oxidative in 75-cl bottles (but not in magnums), the vintage was as clean as a whistle, and the Recently Disgorged (RD) had occasional dodgy disgorgements, but the Vieilles Vignes Françaises was regularly one of the greatest Champagnes produced. Now, however, an excessive degree of oxidation pervades every cuvée.

It saddens me because I remember this house with much warmth when Bizot was in charge and I could pull his leg about how aldehydic the Special Cuvée was in 75-cl bottles. We drank it as an aperitif while my wife helped his wife prepare lunch in the kitchen.

The oxidation throughout the Bollinger range is the result of no sulfur (SO2) being added when the Champagnes are disgorged. Even without sulfur, it is possible for some bottles to shine for a limited period, which explains why I was so bowled over by a sumptuous 1998 Vieilles Vignes Françaises a couple of years ago that I scored it 20 out of 20. Unfortunately, the oxidative shock of disgorgement is something that will inevitably lead to excessive acetaldehyde aromas, which are caused by the oxidation of ethanol and impart apple cider or sherry-like notes, unless protected by SO2.

Ironically, Bollinger recently introduced a retro-style of bottle with a narrower neck to reduce the rate of oxidation, but it merely reduces the unprotected, when all that is required is to add SO2 after disgorging. Or, better still, SO2 and ascorbic acid (vitamin C).

The solution to all of its problems is under its nose: the Station Oenotechnique de Champagne sells an SO2-Ascorbic mix called Sulfiscorbate. If Bollinger can grasp the reality of what is happening to its Champagnes, all of its troubles would disappear."

You’re about four years ahead of me. I heard the same thing and set down two bottles at the end of 2014 for the same reason and haven’t tried them yet. I’m not sure when I will open the first…

I stopped buying Bollinger after many disappointing bottles of the GA1999 and 2002.

I do age NV Champagne though.

It certainly does in many cases, but not necessarily to the big producers. I think the original comment I read mentioned Bollinger in addition to some others. I also tried it with Perrier Jouet Grand Brut, but I wasn’t all that happy with the results. Some of them improved but some started to oxidize.

With all the high quality Champagne around today, including many that are effectively vintage without being labeled as such, I expect there are lots of NV wines that benefit from aging.

I’ve had oxidized GA but never oxidized Special Cuvée!

I had not heard this. Most of my experiments were probably before his 12-15 year window when he said SC started to show oxidation, and perhaps I was just lucky with the recent bottle. I think I was doing it regularly around 1990-1995. The recent bottle was purchased by my wife and stuffed back in the cellar as a one-off. I just thought to post about it because this one tasted so good.

Just had a fantastic bottle of 1996 GA over Christmas. The 2002 GA and 2002 GA Rosé have been really solid every time I have had them in the last year or so.

I age almost all of my NV Champagnes from a couple of years to a couple of decades when it comes to Krug Grande Cuvee. That said, I don’t have experience with Bollinger Special Cuvee.

I’ve stop buying Bollinger GA and RD - except GA in magnum and I drink them young; currently consuming the last of '02 Mags - due to my experience of the wines falling apart and becoming overly oxidative much earlier than they should.

Stevenson also has issue with no dosage Champagnes as well. He doesn’t believe them balanced for aging.

Picked up a 1999 Grande Année on closeout for ~$60 and popped it the day after Christmas. I thought it was lovely.

A few years ago I opened at the same party a 3 liter, 1.5 liter and 750 ml bottle of NV Special Cuvee. The 3-liter and mag had been properly cellared, and were significantly older (8-15 years) than the 750ml (at the time I looked up the disgorgement code on the foil for each, but have since forgotten). The 750ml was the preferred bottle. Much more fresh and complex–the older bottles didn’t seem to add anything for anyone at the event.