TN: 2011 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin Vieille Vigne

• 2011 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin Vieille Vigne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin (12/26/2016)
    I think one of my new years resolutions is going to be to drink more wines from Fourrier! Just LOVE how bright red fruited and elegantly feminine they are(well, the small amount I’ve had)…just wish the big boys weren’t so damn expensive! This little village VV is an absolute gem! Pretty red berry fruits…candied, floral, tart crunch…wonderful feminine perfumes…Victoria’s Secret wonderful! Smoked cherry wood, crushed minerals, dried christmas spices/roses, red licorice…all smooth and round with Chambolle-like feel. SO easy and tasty to drink…the bottle is gone before you can blink! (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

This has been a TREMENDOUS wine for Fourrier in 2011…went into slumber in 2017…but now IT’S BACK! The feminine pretties and floral spices in this are intoxicating. All the red fruited-ness and silk I love in a Chambolle, has seeped a little north. So smooth, well rounded…showing so much precision and elegance…VERY complex with subtlety. The main point…TASTY as all get-out!!! A super six pack purchase…but makes me sad only one bottle left.

Had my first Fourrier to try out the style… 2012 Bourgogne… was delicious (albeit a slightly bitter finish) and great Burg QPR for the $40 I paid (which I imagine was higher than release). Was very disappointed to like it, given the prices for his other wines. I have wondered about the Gevrey-Chambertin Vieille Vigne as it is priced reasonably. Interestingly (or not), the 2016 is priced below the 2011.

Does Fourrier have a “house style”? Is it known to be … x y z?

I’ve only had one, a 2007 Clos St Jacque, and it was on the sweet/sappy side… altho it was delicious nonetheless… i wonder if that was b/c of the 2007 vintage as i’ve had a few other 2007s that are similarly on the sweet/sappy side.

Also, if Domaine fourrier has a house style… does it carry over to the Jean Marie Fourrier label?

Fourrier is on the sweeter/sappier side, yes, though in my opinion he always gets the acidity to match the extraction. I love his Gevreys, and his wines are my most expensive purchase every year. I don’t buy his negociant stuff; he’s been known to say that most of his work is done in the vineyards rather than in vinification and he doesn’t control the vineyards for the negociant wines, so easy choice for me. They’re also really expensive without necessarily having the same quality (his Domaine vines are very old).
Some people, whose palates I respect, don’t like Fourrier because of his bigger style. To each their own.

I already finished a full case of this, delicious wine.

I am a big fan and buy up and down the line when available. I understand people’s use of the term ‘sappy’ with his wines but for me it is not a negative as the wines always show great balance. Red fruit is the first thing I think of when it comes to Fourrier.

the kosta browne of gevrey

I wish more people had this view and drove down the price.

this is fu’s bae, so you’re out of luck.

I’ve been buying Fourrier for over a decade, so I’m not counting on any decrease in pricing. [snort.gif]

Let’s open some [drinkers.gif]

I am curious what a lot of fourriers would taste like together…I’ve had a few Gevrey and 1ers and I’m not convinced if the 1er are that different.

Ethan,
You feel the wine making signature masks the terroir?

lol. Edson just joking. I buy very little Fourrier. Buy one single CSJ/Griotte each vintage. Bought a lot back in 06-2010 from across the pond then slowly started drinking them and realized it wasn’t quite my bag.

As I said, lots of people whose palates I respect don’t love Fourrier. To each their own. (I saw your note on the Olivier Bernstein, who I think is more accurately described as the Kosta Browne of Gevrey anyway.)

Besides, I didn’t take it as anything other than a joke - so much of Fourrier goes into the US (he sells so little domestically) that even you couldn’t raise the price by yourself. neener

I did notice that Fourrier pricing in the US was as good as that in Europe.

Very good to see these companion notes, Buzz, especially about a 2011 red. I’ve only had a couple of (older) bottles of Fourrier. Both have delivered on the “pleasure” side of the equation for me, but I found lots of interest in both

Salud

Mike

It’s often easier to find his stuff in the US than in France. I vaguely recall the story of why that is, but don’t want to get it wrong. But the upshot is that something like 90% of Fourrier’s wines are sold outside of France. Some of his negociant stuff goes direct to auction in Asia.

Upon Greg’s recommendation I picked up a few Fourrier’s from 2011. They delivered even in such a poor vintage.