What are good wines to have with a city ham?

We hardly ever have ham for the holidays, since one of our family members doesn’t eat pork, so its been many many years since we baked a holiday ham.

What are some good wine suggestions?

Looking at the size of the haunch, I’m cringing at the leftovers already.

Is this about food or a person? :wink:

Pinot. Or Champagne. Maybe riesling?

Sparkling Cabernet Franc!!

http://www.langlois-chateau.fr/en/carmin-dry/

Riesling.

Champagne or Riesling.

I agree that riesling would be good, or a New World pinot. I think a zin would play well with ham, too. You need something with fruit or actual sweetness, I think. I could see a Beaujolais, too. It depends somewhat on how sweet the ham is. I think a grenache-based wine might work, too, since they usually tend to have relatively low acid.

What you don’t want is a lot of tannin or shrill acid.

I think the last time we did a holiday ham, maybe a decade plus ago, it was Champagne. But I want something red as well. Maybe a RRV PN or Beaujolais. Thanks for those ideas.

======

The last ill fated time, even the dog got tired of ham leftovers as I recall.

“City ham”?

What kind of swine is this, free range sewer?

Split-pea soup is one solution for leftovers. Or just send them to me.

I’ve never heard the term “city ham.” Originally from Kentucky, we used to call a locally cured ham a “country ham.”

My choice would be riesling.

[winner.gif] [welldone.gif]

City ham is in contrast to country ham. Generally injected with saline and wet aged. Country ham is salted and air cured.

That’s a new one on me as well.

Kosher wine would not pair well with that.

A recent article in the NYTimes on the different types of hams and the derivation of the term “city ham.” As Eric pointed out, it’s to distinguish a wet cured ham from a dry cured “country” ham.

Priceless!!!

Beaujolais

Besides adding ham leftovers to a wide variety of soups, it does nicely as an addition to mac & cheese.

The wine pairing may depend a little on whether you use a glaze on the ham, and if so, what kind of glaze.

Bruce