Help with Schrader alternatives

Schrader is my wife’s favorite Cab. It’s up toward the top of my list as well. Question - What other Cabs are out there in that ripe, rich, opulent, thick style like Schrader? Big fruit with a preference toward the darker fruits (blackberry, blueberry, etc.). I don’t really have the patience for aging so something made in the guilty-pleasure style which can be consumed young. Thanks.

There are so many good wines in that style, but of course Schrader is in a class of its own. Some of my favorites that might fit the big, dark fruit category are Maybach, Myriad, Carter, Realm, and Bevan Cellars. Futo is a bit more structured, but can be enjoyed young as well.

The first thought that came to my mid was Carter. The have three to kalon bottlings. Made by an old TRB assistant and I believe Mark Carter was helped by Fred Schrader when he started the project.

Maybach is great call by Eric. Outpost True would fit this category as well. Pulido walker the Melanson bottling. I think you will find a lot of TRB wines fit the bill and Mike Smith wines.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Agreed on Maybach. Last month I opened a 2010, and it was delicious.

Maybach easily comes to mind.
The Rivers Marie cabs also come to mind. May not be as rich, but great flavors and age really well if you can keep your hands off them.

You might want to try every wine TRB has a hand in…
Off the top of my head:
Rivers Marie
Kinsella
Riverain
GTS
Jones Family
Maybach
Outpost
Hobel
Stone the crows
Pulido walker
Casa Piena
Harris
Mending Wall
There are more…some newer ones Ive lost track of…
Other similarly styled wines…
Bevan
Pott
Carter
Greer
Aloft
Checkerboard
Continuum
Vine Hill Ranch
Seven Stones
Piper
Some of the Alpha Omega svds
Fairchild
Shafer Hillside
Etc etc etc

See what Steve from Riverain offers up during berserkerday this January. It’s TRB wines that are approachable. There’s plenty of structure but with a decant they’re delicious.

Fully disclose: Steve is a friend

Though different…try a Paul Hobbs Crossbarn…my wife loves Schrader…detoured her with the Crossbarn…it saved my life

No. 1 Humberto knocked it out of the park with the long list.

No. 2 CrossBarn was what immediately came to my mind, too, as a more budget-friendly alternative.

I wouldn’t call him old. [wink.gif]

Actually Nils Venge made Carter in the beginning. Mike helped Thomas make Schrader.

Round Pond
Chiarello

Both of the above have Thomas Rivers Brown as either the consultant or winemaker which is similar to Schrader.

Would throw in Quivet which is also made by Mike Smith.

Totally agree here. Great wine for the money.

I would also say 12C, since it’s from Beckstoffer G3, and it’s a Mike Smith wine. Go for the regular, not the reserve.

Becklyn for sure.

And an up and coming brand- Fait Main. This is Benoit Touquette’s label, and the wines are stunning. Familiar Air 2013 was incredible, and reminded me a lot of the Bard, but slightly cheaper, and pretty available in the market place too. I actually bought a lot of Fait Main recently, including Teeter Totter 2014 (still young, and bonkers on day 2), and 2013 Sleeping Lady Vineyard.

Thank you to everyone for all the advice. You’ve all steered me in a great direction. I’ve been able to try a number of your suggestions, along with a few others. I thought I’d report back on what I’ve tried so far (not in any particular order)…

Tasted:

• Maybach Materium
  • Carter Three Kings and OG
  • Realm Dr. Crane and The Bard
  • 12C G3 Reserve
  • Pott
  • Bevan EE Cuvee
  • Outpost True Cab, Immigrant, Estate
  • Crossbarn Napa
  • Shafer Hillside Select
  • Hobel The Grain
  • GTS
  • Rivers Marie Panek
  • Scarlett McGah
  • Teeter Totter
  • Paul Hobbs To Kalon, Dr. Crane, Las Piedras
  • Screaming Eagle
  • Odette Estate
  • Buccella
  • Mica
  • Double Diamond Amber Knolls
  • Memento Mori

Ordered, but not yet tasted

• Fait Main Las Piedras
  • Riverain
  • Harlan The Maiden

My journey continues…

Wow, you’ve been busy! Have any favorites emerged?

Brian, I’d love to hear what you have thought of the ones you’ve tried. That list contains a number of my favorites.

Yeah. Can you give us a brief run down of which of those you thought compared well to Schrader.

FIFY!

[rofl.gif]

Man, you got through some heavy weights in short order. Screaming Eagle? I cant even imagine an opportunity to taste this and you made it happen in a month. You either got some great friends or an AMEX black card at the ready.

What Humberto said. TRB is pretty consistent in his winemaking, although obviously his clients have some influence on style. In my experience though, he’s dialed in a process/style that is his, yet transparent enough to let the vineyard show through.

That said, his own RM wines most closely align with Schrader, although they tend to have more energy, leading me to believe they are picked earlier or with a lower ph. Outpost is a good alternative. Maybach is nothing like Schrader, but maybe his best wines.

Take TRB out of the equation, and Pott delivers similar terroir via Greer/Arsenal.