TN: Jets suck, wine doesn't: 2012 Outpost Grenache. With wine abuse photo.

• 2012 Outpost Grenache - USA, California, Napa Valley, Howell Mountain (12/17/2016)
    This is a great Grenache. I would say better than the Cayuse in terms of pleasure delivered per ounce - at least on this night - but not an SQN. However, it is stylistically different from both of those. It is laser sharp and precise with a very clean presentation of pepper and berry flavors, principally raspberry. We drank this as a pop and pour in the parking lot at the Jets game. We had grilled Cajun rubbed rib steaks and I almost wanted to pour some of the wine onto the steak for the extra pepper - but I didn’t. It was very cold outside and as the wine chilled, it lost some of its flavor, but we warmed it back up, and it was very expressive. This is Howell Mountain fruit and shows it with the spiciness and clean line. There is nothing muddy or syrupy about this wine. Love it. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

As noted, the wine got cold and we had to warm it up. How did we do that in the subzero (centigrade) evening temps with a brisk wind? You grill it for a few moments.

Rare video footage of how Jay felt after watching the Jets capitulation to the Mighty Phin:

PS
Grilled wine. Whoda thunk?

We were almost pulling into the driveway at home by the time of that play. Need I point out that if the draft were held today, Da Bears would have a better draft choice than the Jets due to their stellar record.

You made the right choice by leaving early. There’s no reason to face frigid conditions and to watch that dreck.

Need I point out that I grew up in South Florida and have a football autographed by all the members of the only team to ever go undefeated and win a Super bowl?

Great to hear, I have an '11 I’m anxious to try.

I assume you’re talking about the God Only Knows?
How would you compare the GOK to the No Girls Grenache? (if you’ve had it)

Fixed that for you pal

FYI, my wife did register the #BrownsSuckWinesDon’t, so be careful my friend.

Outpost wines really fly under the radar considering the quality and pedigree.

I appreciate your diligent work, sir.

I’d hesitate to add that in the playoffs Miami swept through Cleveland (10-4) Pittsburgh (11-3) and Washington (11-3). The game against the Steelers was in Pittsburgh (December 31, no less) because it was before the best team automatically received home field advantage.

Great place to visit too.

I do not like the over the top brett that I have found in the GOK Grenache, more than in any other Cayuse wine. There was no such problem in the No Girls. Here is my note on the No Girls from four years ago, which I also scored 93 pts. However, it did not have the pepper spice, which I believe is characteristic of Howell Mountain, or at least Howell Mountain TRB wines.

• 2008 No Girls Grenache - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (11/7/2012)
    Just arrived so we decided to commit infanticide and we wee not disappointed. This was less intense than I expected based upon the Cayuse pedigree of its team. Decanted for an hour. Excellent balance and smoothness. The fruit is there but not a fruit bomb. Light raspberry with meatyness. I noticed a touch of cedar, unusual in a new wine. This went down very smooth and was drinkable despite its youth. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

These wines age well too, I’m currently going through my 2004s and 2005s, and they are outstanding.

And Pittsburgh had that team beat until Craig Hanneman pulled out of his rush lane early, Larry Seiple tucked the ball and followed him down the field as though Hanneman was his lead blocker. Not that I am bitter about that or anything. Just think we wouldn’t be subjected to the annual Mercury Morris “I hope that undefeated team loses” schtick.

That’s played up much more so by the media than anything. Several Dolphins have publicly said that don’t GAF and Shula (I think) said he hoped another team would go undefeated.

Merc was not one of them, I surmise…

Tweeted after the Panthers’ first loss last year:

@MercuryMorris22
And for the record, we DO NOT TOAST every time an unbeaten team loses. There’s no champagne in my glass, only Canada Dry Ginger ale! Ha!

@Mercury Morris @MercuryMorris22
So PLEASE STOP with this champagne stuff! Why would I want @CameronNewton to lose? He’s having a great season!

Mind you dude served time in prison (coke), so I cut him some slack if he wants to be known for something else.

I hope not. Sadly, it has become my highlight for each NFL season (at least since 1992 when they lost in the AFC Championship).

Also, 17-0-0 is 17-0-0, and they beat the favored Redskins. Still unique, and I love an excuse to open champagne. champagne.gif