What wines are you puling for Xmas dinner?

I plan on smoking a turkey for Xmas dinner at the house this year. Having the typical side dishes of veggies and mashed, probably good old american pie for dessert. Just family attending. Thinking of wines for the bird…

Bouchard Beaune-Grèves “Vigne de l’Enfant Jésus” Premier Cru 2005. Is this too young? Too predictable?

La Mission Haut Brion 1990.

PCYM something from 2013 St Aubin…haven’t decided exactly what yet.

Dessert will be a Stratus CDN Cabernet Franc Icewine. Not too cloying, perfect touch of winter wine, as it looks like we will be having a white Xmas here in the Great Lakes.

What are you thinking of breaking out? After all Xmas comes just once a year champagne.gif

We plan to do something easy and special…start with a champagne, likely a MV Krug, then a Prime Rib smoked low and slow, and a bottle of '98 Cheval Blanc.

Looking forward to next Sunday getting here…

We’ll be at my best friend’s house for dinner. I believe she’s baking a ham, so it looks like pinot and chard. Probably some A.P. Vin for both.

what flavor American pie?

Family has no palate so I always take a mag of Saint Cosme CdR. This year we are going to a second venue afterwards which will justify some better wines. Not sure of the menu but I’m always a sucker for Clerc Milon, especially after drinking a stellar 2000 earlier this weekend.

Do I read this aright - the Stratus IS the dessert?? champagne.gif

The Stratus will be a supplement to the dessert. Plan on traditional pumpkin and or cherry pie. What is anyone else drinking?

I’ve got a '99 Brovia Villero, '99 Monprivato and '98 Mauro Veglio Arborina stood up to pair with some Italian food.

Since my son will be joining us, perhaps a birth year cab to go with the prime rib…'97 Togni or Dunn H.M…

umm, for my family? A gallon jug of Gallo seems right up their alley.

Mag of 05 Scherrer OMV and a mag of 14 Ridge Lytton. White TBD.

Leaning towards 2008 Alban Patrina Syrah. For a family that loves big reds.

I’m thinking to go with all magnums.
2006 Taittinger Comtes to start, then:
2008 Shafer Hillside Select
2012 Cayuse Walla Walla #4
2013 B Cellars Dr. Crane
2012 Pott Actaeon
2005 Chateau Barde-Haut

I might change my mind on some of them by the weekend.

I am going to go with a few that were in the “way way back of the cellar” and a recent Bojo.
Grilling (low/slow) Porchetta – 2002 and 2003 Saxum Broken Stones
Venison (oven) with root vegetables – 2005 Paul Lato Solomon Pinot
Gumbo (Gumbo with chicken, smoke sausage and andouille – 2015 Dutraive Bojo

Could call an audible and switch a few things but the Saxum are going to be enjoyed- 100% confirmed.

I think I will open a 2011 EMH . And not sure what else.

Damn, now THAT is Xmas! I am coming over…

You spelled whines wrong.

“What whines are you puling for Xmas dinner.”

rolleyes

We are at my in-laws for Christmas. The bad news is our palates are pretty much diametrically opposed. The good is that the wine flows early and often, and they a wonderful people. So I’ll focus on the family and friends, and look forward to pulling some nice bottles for NYE!

We will start with some 06 Roederer L’Emritage with the Oyster’s Rockefeller and then pop a couple of 10 Schrader RBS’s for the prime rib. My dessert will consist of 94 Dow VP. I can’t wait…

For Hanukkah I am leaning toward a 95 Barolo.