TNs: Cedric Bouchard, 00 Carlisle, Tig, Rhys, 99 Allemand, 98 Jamet, Bize, Guiberteau....

A few notes from a recent dinner where there was a nice display of diversity to taste and enjoy. I would say the wines of the night for me where the Bize Marconnets, which drank with an elegance and pleasure that brings class to Pinot Noir. The Guiberteau was a wine of lovely energy, showcasing chenin blanc that really tastes classy and then the Allemand Chaillot, which shows how syrah can age with real grace. Thanks for reading.

• 1911 André Clouet Champagne - France, Champagne (12/11/2016)
    N0 disgorge date on the bottle so I had to choose this entry for my TN. I wasn’t feeling this bubbly when it was first opened and granted, we got right after it very quickly and started to drain the bottle fast. It started out round and richer styled, but then with air started to pick up citrus zest and some biscuity tones. Needed some room to breathe. Turned out fine.
  • 2000 Carlisle Mondeuse Noir - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (12/11/2016)
    From magnum, this was opened last night and there was a few ounces left that simply sat in the open bottle at room temp. Decided to revisit the remainder and write this note, as I didn’t recall it well from last night. Had this 2 years ago, with Mike O when he was down for a visit in the OC. I loved the wine in 2014, thought it was unique, fresh and drinking great. So what’s here, with the air from the last day? Warm nose (touch of heat), juicy blackberry and dark raspberry, and the same bright acidity that was in the 2014 bottle, it’s in this mag, too. Plenty of acidity. For a wine that is getting to 16 years old, the fruit and acidity remain alive. Funny, as I think about the 2009 Tignanello I had a glass of a few mins ago and the aged qualities (or what I perceived to be aged) at just 7 years old, this wine is more than 2X that wine, yet it drinks like it was recently bottled. This bottle is part of the early Carlisle history and was great to taste this again.
  • 2007 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (12/11/2016)
    Never tried this wine before, which is unusual in light of the many times visiting the winery and my years of buying. We splash decanted this, and it was allowed to slow ox for another hour under open cork. Dark color, and the stems still continue to influence the aromatic. Kind of a cracked spice, pepper and dried flower, which in reading this, you might think a syrah aromatic, which isn’t far off. Dark cherry, soil and tight edges. This is still plenty young and not fading, and with the stems being imprinted on the wine still, it’d be good to age this further and/or decant it well if enjoying now…this afternoon, I decided to revisit the remaining 1/2 glass that was leftover in the bottle from last night. It sat out without a cork and has been mixing at room temp. The fruit has softened, now more of a black cherry, with the same soil tones and a bit gentler structure. This tastes more Burgundian today, the juicier fruit profile, the tilled earth and savory acidity. For those who own this vintage of 'Shoe, I’d say let this age a bit more, say check in again during 2018 and see. This will never be a delicate Rhys, probably always be savory from a bigger vintage so not sure what it will do with time.
  • 2008 Simon Bize Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Les Marconnets - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru (12/11/2016)
    A few months back, we opened and enjoyed Bize’s 09 Vergelesses. That bottle was quite youthful and will need more time to really soften and blossom. This 08 Marconnets drank just fine IMO, and was treated like the 207 Rhys Horseshoe we drank alongside it: splash decanted and then returned to bottle and given an hour additional of slow ox. This has a lovely, medium weight, with rose petal and herb in the aromatic, and a hard cherry candy palate with a complementing acidity. Overall, gentle and delicious to drink and as much as I don’t buy Burg anymore, this bottle makes me think I should stay with Bize and start buying the wines again. Terrific.
  • 2009 Antinori Tignanello Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (12/11/2016)
    This was opened last night, and the remaining few ounces of the bottle sat in it without cork until this afternoon. So, lots of air. Plush, tangy black cherry fruit and cedar, with licorice and a spicy finish. The finish is loamy and reminds me of a wine that has plenty of age, the tobacco leaf notes that age brings. I don’t have any experience with this wine or much from this producer but there is plenty of fruit here that should allow it to keep aging.
  • 2010 Domaine Roulot Bourgogne Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc (12/11/2016)
    Hadn’t tried one of these in a few years, but Brig was able to chase one down and we got to have a glass of it. Lovely texture, polished and creamy with good balancing acidity, finishing with a little mineral. Seems to be in a good place, no signs of ox.
  • 2012 Domaine Guiberteau Saumur Blanc - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur (12/11/2016)
    I really dig this producer and as we drink more of this winery’s craft, I continue to remain impressed. Higher acid style here, with great texture. Peach and nectarine notes (nothing demi here by the way, this is dialed in sec in style, IMO). Structured finish with terrific tension and balance. Lovely.
  • 2015 Jean-Louis Dutraive (Domaine de la Grand’Cour) Fleurie Le Clos Cuvée Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (12/11/2016)
    This was opened last night, about 1/2 the bottle remained to this afternoon on the counter under cork. Soft texture, little jammy too. Kind of reminds me of a Zin barrel sample, with the bright, jammy red fruits that have a kick of spice and a brushing of vanilla. Not much in terms of edges here but more of a smooth, fruit forward wine that is easy to drink.
  • NV Jérôme Prévost Champagne La Closerie Extra Brut Les Beguines - France, Champagne (12/11/2016)
    Enjoyed this. Yellow apple, biscuit, ginger. good density and finishes clean with a lime note.
  • NV Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Pinot Blanc Champagne Blanc de Blancs La Bolorée - France, Champagne (12/11/2016)
    I think this was NV, although Steve said the base wine was 2010. Bitter note in the palate, which he said reminded him of peach pit. Good cut here with complexity, too. Leaner style, lemon peel and very good overall. EB in style, which aligns to my palate these days very nicely.
  • 1998 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (12/10/2016)
    Opened this about 3 hours ago, just removing the cork and draining off an ounce or so. Serving this later over dinner, alongside the 1999 Allemand Chaillot. This smells like Cote Rotie, with a light herbal quality, blood and a lifted note of cherry/red fruit. The palate? Sings baby. Tangy, plenty of cherry, cedar, cooked meat and plenty of refreshing acidity. What impresses me about this wine is the length, the medium weight, the freshness, all in super balance. Nothing heavy here at all–just suave, beautifully crafted stuff. Over dinner later, this stayed pretty true to my opening comments above, and if anything, the aromatic of herbal component seemed to become brighter. I think this wine is in the right place for getting after and enjoying. FWIW, the 1999 Allemand Chaillot outclassed this Jamet–both were good, but the Allemand has years ahead of it.
  • 1999 Thierry Allemand Cornas Chaillot - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (12/10/2016)
    Opened this about 3 hours ago, just removing the cork and draining off an ounce or so. Serving this later over dinner, alongside the 1999 Allemand Chaillot. As a side note, I last had this wine in 2009, during a lunch at Copain with Wells Guthrie. It was from his cellar and at that time, I had no frame for Allemand, other than I knew the winery and its philosophy had a great impact on the way he thought about how to approach his own syrah (low to no oak, whole cluster, low alc). Aromatically, this is similar to the 1998 Jamet, but it’s still shy with the same amount of air. The palate is a different story. The fruits for me range into a red/purple like note, less gentle than the Jamet, more concentration. Fascinating that at 17 years old that the fruit intensity, the purity of the freshness makes it taste like something far more youthful. Wow. This also has more tannin and grip throughout the palate, whereas the Jamet is in better balance, that wine glides through the palate…over dinner, paired next to the 1998 Jamet, this was superior. The freshness and depth this carries as a 1999 is a testament to Allemand and the longevity of these wines. Just love the ctracked pepper and spice, the purple and red fruit. Super stuff and this seems to be aging slowly!

Posted from CellarTracker

Yay, Frankie went with the Jamet!

Love that wine.

Really excellent notes.

The three different petit bubbles was incredible. Loved Bize and Allemand

BOOK CLUB - GRAND FINALE - (12/11/2016)

This completes the forth cycle for the Book Club, incredible. Couples night always makes for a more entertaining evening of general conversation and gets us away from totally geeking out over wine.
What a brilliant idea Steve comes up with for the pairing, 3 single varietal Petit champagnes. Petite Noir, Petite Blanc, and Petit Meunier. Got us wondering about the other legal varietals… 7 in total.

Hasselback Potatoes with a citrus crème fraiche
Caviar Tacos
Mini Crab Cakes with herb aioli

• 2010 Jérôme Prévost Champagne La Closerie Extra Brut Les Beguines - France, Champagne
    The sparkler is barrel aged and made from 100% Pinot meunière. There’s a good sourdough nose and the wine is the white gold in color. Great fruit and acidity with a medium plus mouthfeel. This is an excellent champagne, really good stuff.
  • 2009 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Pinot Blanc Champagne Blanc de Blancs La Bolorée - France, Champagne
    This is 100% petite blanc, quite unusual. The nose is red apple and white flower. Palate shows very light fruit with high acid, it’s quite vibrant but really shows as thin. There’s a hint of sweetnes towards the finish but not enough to make up for the light body. Average but enjoyable addition to the lineup.
  • NV André Clouet Champagne 1911 - France, Champagne
    Three vintage champagne bland. Color is light yellow and there’s a very ready sourdough note on the nose with yellow fruit. Very gentle bubbles and fantastic valance. This is a classic and delicious champagne.

Harvest Salad - Brûlée Pear, Goat Cheese, Roasted Fairytale Pumpkin and Pomegranate

• 2010 Domaine Roulot Bourgogne Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc
    Wow this is a great wine for $35.Big flinty nose and matchbook. Really delicious flavors where the flint shows up again and there’s some yellow fruit and lemon rind. Medium minus mouth feel and light colored but excellent value. Highly recommend for the price.
  • 2012 Domaine Guiberteau Saumur Blanc - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur
    Medium plus depth of color, yellow pushing gold. There’s an interesting additional note on the nose. Taste like classic Chenin with lemon and pith. High acid, razor edge. Terrific complexity. I’ve had numerous ones from this producer, does this guy make a bad wine? I don’t think so.

King Salmon with Shingled Potatoes, Carrot and Turnip

• 2007 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    A dirty mulch nose and soil like you just ran the tractor through the field. Dark color, very dark pushing opaque. There’s dark red fruit, incense, chalk, stemmy stuff, and fine tight tannins. This was decanted but only for 30 minutes. It definitely required more time but showed very well. As for aging, looks like a winner.
  • 2008 Simon Bize Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Les Marconnets - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru
    The nose has a real floral aspect to it, I’m guessing something like violets. Very good clarity, pretty looking wine. Light candied cherry and pulverized rock. Stem or oak note at the finish. I completely enjoyed this paired with the Rhys. Good company.
  • 2015 Jean-Louis Dutraive (Domaine de la Grand’Cour) Fleurie Le Clos Cuvée Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie
    I can understand the other tasting notes and agree. It’s sweet ripe cherry and lacks the acid to add an edge. It comes off as “simple” and fruity which is probably unfair. But hey… I’ve never really been a gamay guy or maybe I just need to put some more effort into finding one I’d enjoy.

Sundried Tomato and Olive Tapenade Chicken Roulade, Wild Rice and Faro Salad

• 1999 Thierry Allemand Cornas Chaillot - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas
    Blind but I was all over Cornas based on the nose. The black olive and brush, classic. Black and red fruit, thick, with lots of chalky goodness. Bright Black cherry towards the finish. Man, is this good. It’s seems so young and fresh, impossible to guess a 17 year old wine, amazing.
  • 1998 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
    This showed as an older wine, unlike the '99 Cornas. Must be a vintage thing. Nice northern rhone nose with herbs and spices. Red plum was the primary fruit and it was missing some of the intensity you’d expect. Don’t get me wrong, it’s very nice.

Cheeses and other fun things.

• 2004 Lisini Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino
    Rustic nose with a little horse, let’s say some pony since it wasn’t distracting and was kind of cute. Classic red cherry, good acidity. Tannins were rounded out. Gentle and nimble Sangiovese at this stage.
  • 2009 Antinori Tignanello Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT
    Dark, thick, and lush wine. Very modern in style, could past for a Cali blend or a ripe Bordeaux year . Lots of flavors, cassis, dried fruit and licorice. Chris really enjoyed this one as she’s the queen of super Tuscans and this wine is the king. I would like this with a nice big steak.
  • 2000 Carlisle Mondeuse Noir - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
    The counselor pulled this one out, he does love his 'duese. So do I and this wine is becoming more rare with every cork pulled. Fresh and fleshy fruit, ripe and high octane. That’s all I was able to scratch out for a note at the end of 4 hours…

Posted from CellarTracker

My gosh, this is like a perfect thread!

If I move to LA, do I get inner-circle treatment?

Of course!