Looking for an age worthy 2010 Napa cab

Looking for some more experienced berserker opinion on 2010. My wife and I were married that year and would like to celebrate every 10 years with a 2010 Napa cab. Our favorite producers are Chappellet, Phelps, Realm, Outpost and Myriad. Sort of have it narrowed down to Pritchard Hill and Insignia. Looking for thoughts on what would last the long haul and certainly open to other suggestions.

I would think the Outpost True would go for sometime

The Kronos Vineyard also, of course.

A few that have not been mentioned that I would highly recommend are the Dunn Howell Mountain, Forman and Spottwoode. They all should have broad drinking windows.

Thanks,
Ed

As Ed just mentioned, the 2010 Spottswoode was a terrific wine. Their wines typically age exceptionally well. You can’t go wrong with Insignia, either. Another consideration at a higher price point would be Shafer Hillside Select.

If you’re willing to look outside of Napa, the 2010 Ridge Monte Bello would be an obvious choice. Monte Bello has a long (for California) track record of not just lasting, but evolving and improving for decades. It’s also generally available in magnums which is a plus when you’re looking at the long term.

I’d be a little concerned about the Insignia’s ability to go more than 20 years. Vintages approaching that age, like the '97, '99 and '01 (which were all well regarded vintages), are mature and drinking very nicely now. While they will last longer, I don’t see them getting any better.

• 1 on the Montebello.

Of course Chateau Montelena Estate.

Cheers,

Jason

Whichever one you pick, be sure to shop larger format bottles, as well!

I agree with the above lists, especially Dunn, Forman, Monte bello, and Spottswoode.

Also, Togni, Mondavi Reserve, Jarvis (just opened a 1992 cab this week and it has years to live!)

Pahlmayer, La Jota, Mayacamus, Montelena, Peter Michael.

Maybe the pinnacle: Diamond Creek (along with Dunn.)

I really like Spottswoode cabs and have bought them since their initial release in 1982. I’m probably in the minority, though, as I don’t like the way they age. After 20+ years (and I’ve had an '86 and a '92 recently) they develop a flavor that tastes like tea to me, and I find it somewhat off-putting. I agree that the 2010 is a tremendous wine and I’m looking forward to drinking mine starting in about 2020. I expect I’ll finish them up by 2030, though. I’m getting down to the last few bottles of my '01s and '02s, and while they’re great now, I’m planning on finishing them in the next 5 years or so.

I know this isnt napa but alot of 2010 Bordeaux have extremely wide drinking windows. For example, 2010 Leoville Barton which can be had in the mid $100 range and Parker states has a 65 year-ish span. 2010 Pontet Canet is a on the cheaper side for a 100 pointer and he claims it has a 75 year window from what I recall as well.

Thanks everyone. Got some research and tasting to do.

What about mayacamas?

Been a whiles since I have tasted something current but dang there wines from the 70s aged beautifully.

J

I’ll be gifting a 2010 Ridge MB 3L to my son with instructions about how it might go with with rib-roast on his 50th.

A fairly complete set of recommendations above.

My kids were born in 2007 and 2012, so I’ve been buying several birth year Cali Cab wines. I expect Dunn HM, Ridge MB and Togni will make the oldest bones. Also am cellaring Forman, Dalla Valle Maya, Corison, Diamond Creek, Montelena Estate, Dominus, Seavey, Mayacamas from the old school. And Pride Reserve, Scarecrow and Rivers Marie from the new school.

Dominus 2010 is very highly regarded & I never have found a older Dominus to be faulted.

TRB told me 8-10 years.

What Anton and Rich have already suggested: Togni.

Best,

Kenney

Cinderella wine blowing out Nicolas Catena Zapata 2010 Mags today. Argentina but goes two decades easy.