Week 3 - Virtual Tasting for Charity - BerserkerDay wines, Go Todd Go!!!

Theme: Open BerserkerDay Wines you’ve purchased and share the experience, share the love.
Host: Todd F r e n c h
Matching donors: Any takers? [cheers.gif]
Date: December 7th - 14th
Format: post a tasting note on the theme wine and our gracious host will donate $5 for each wine to the charity of his choice. $5 extra IF you post a photo of yourself WITH the wine, and please, if you can, tell us a bit about the deal, why you chose to buy it, etc.

About the Charity: Love146 - WE’RE WORKING TO END CHILD TRAFFICKING AND EXPLOITATION

Love146 is an international human rights organization working to end child trafficking and exploitation through survivor care and prevention. The trafficking and exploitation of children is one of the darkest stories and most severe human rights abuses imaginable. But for us, the hope of ending it is a reality. Love146 is helping grow the movement to end child trafficking while providing effective, thoughtful solutions. We believe in the power of love and its ability to effect sustainable change. Love is the foundation of our motivation.

Awesome idea, my friend. I’ll try to crack a couple this week.

let’s add to the OP $5 extra IF you post a photo of yourself WITH the wine, and please, if you can, tell us a bit about the deal, why you chose to buy it, etc.

Jason Hagen’s lovely wife Laura knows quite a bit about Love146.org, so hopefully she can come on and say a bit about it as well. Jen is very passionate about this cause, and we recently discovered some good friends of ours have established an endowment at their alma mater - Point Loma University - for those who have escaped from this frightening life.

It shocks me that human trafficking still exists, in this day and age, in THIS country!

And…if you have a WineBerserkers Lapel Pin…find a creative place to ‘put it’ in your pic :wink:

Awesome!

I need to figure out which of my wines are Berserker Day wines.

Does the Berserker’s Cuvee count?

Jason

It’s not like she really needs help from the peanut gallery when it comes to promoting her Berserkerday offering, it’s always one of the most popular. Why? The package deals with wine, sardines, tuna fish, and the olive oil are amazing. My wife, she’s Italian and knows olive oil, now uses this as the “special oil” when drizzling over caprese salad or using for dipping focaccia. That’s high marks. I especially like the idea of one Wineberserker who buys these packages every year and gives them out as gift to their clients, brilliant.

It’s nice to support good people and Nola is definitely a berserker. [berserker.gif]

Edit: here’s the thread from the BD 2016 offer for reference. VELETA GOURMET*** GREAT DEALS **FREE SHIPPING - BerserkerDay VII (January 27, 2016) - WineBerserkers

• 2009 Bodega Dominio Buenavista / Veleta Tempranillo Privilegio - Spain, Andalucía, Vino de la Tierra Contraviesa Alpujarra (12/7/2016)
    This is my second bottle from this vintage. I knew from my previous experience that this wine shows a rubbing alcohol on the pop and pour but it blows off after 30 minutes. Deep magenta color, vibrant. This is a teeth, lip, and glass stainer, there’s real concentration in the color. Dark plum, blackberry attack with a cranberry mid palate. Some floral hints, maybe violet or perfume. Spicy white pepper through the finish. Mouthfeel is slick. Always a nice QPR.

Posted from CellarTracker

This this and this. While I’m not Italian (not that it’s difficult to tell) the olive oil is, in this house, only ‘the special oil’ as well! If someone grabs it for cooking, they lose a hand. The sardines are deadly good (I typically eat an entire tin myself) and they magically go so perfectly with Veleta wines…

Now, where are the rest of your sorry tasting notes, folks? As for me, since I’m traveling tomorrow, I stuck with Scotch.

If (like me) you log your BerserkerDay purchases with 1/27 as the purchase date here’s the CT link to help you out. I could open more than my liver could handle with this theme but will try to pick out several that should be drinking well.
https://www.cellartracker.com/query.asp?ShowFilter=1&Table=Purchase&PurchaseDay=27&PurchaseMonth=1

2014 Seven of Hearts Riesling Vigna Giovanni Purchased January 27, 2016

If this was a ‘regular’ white wine, I would have been very happy for the $15.00 that I paid on the WineBerserker special. But it wasn’t a white wine. The label said Riesling. It didn’t say dry riesling. The label said riesling. Now I’m no expert, but I know enough to know a riesling when I taste it. As a white wine, this was a very pleasant 87.

When I log my Berserker Day purchases into CT I list the store as “Berserker Day”. Works for me.

Thanks you two!!! blush flirtysmile flirtysmile

Someone pinged me and asked “what’s this and where did you get it?” Told them there’d probably another BD 2017 offer.

So I updated my post with a link to the 2016 Nola Especial from BD as a reference. VELETA GOURMET*** GREAT DEALS **FREE SHIPPING - BerserkerDay VII (January 27, 2016) - WineBerserkers

Dan,

The package you purchased included the following description on the BerserkerDay offer: “A delightful variety of newly released white wines inspired by wines we love from the old world: a bone-dry Riesling from 31-year-old vines…”

Also, on the label we have provided the residual sugar level as 0.05% (which is bone dry). You’ll find it to the right of the alcohol on the front label.

Byron

Byron,

I recall that you e mailed this to me after I originally posted to CT. Let’s take it a step further. Let’s say someone opens a bottle 6 months after they purchased it. How would they know this information? I’m not talking about someone that’s in the know about wine. I’m talking about the person on the street that’s making a purchase in the local wine shop.

Thanks.

Dan,

Rieslings are made in a wide array of styles (as are most wine types). Get to know the producers and what they do. Buy the wines based on the information you have at the time, and then if you forget when you open it later and don’t want to contact the producer for a reminder, be pleasantly surprised by what you’ve opened.

But, in any case, you won’t need to worry about this with regards to my wines in the future. That will be my last BerserkerDay offer.

Thanks,
Byron

Well THIS certainly isn’t going as planned…

This should help. Ugly sweaters and Berserker pins. I bought this wine because of the cooler climate, lower alc style and some fellow WB comments on this producer. Unfortunately, this bottle was slightly corked so I am also posting a note from a few weeks ago.

• 2012 Briceland Vineyards Merlot Ishi Pishi Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (12/8/2016)
    This bottle was slightly corked. NR (flawed)
  • 2012 Briceland Vineyards Merlot Ishi Pishi Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (11/16/2016)
    This is pretty tasty. If I tasted this blind I would have guessed a modern styled bordeaux. I like how it is restrained for a CA wine. Some earthy notes, a little herbal note and touch of chocolatey oak. Light tannin and medium acid. Ann liked it too.
    image.jpg

Back on track . . .
Let me add one of my BD purchases:
2003 Lagier Meredith Syrah - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder (12/7/2016)
Pop and pour and tasted with some food (cheese and pita chips, in case you were wondering).
Dark deep purple color. Nose of black cherries and some soy and prunes.
Big, rich bold flavor of dark fruits, some raisin and black cherries.
While this shows a bit of port like characteristics, it is quite enjoyable.
Re-corked with a vacu-vin and also filled a 375 ml bottle and recorked; I will revisit again.

This was a 2015 purchase of a 6 bottle vertical of Lagier Meredith syrah wines. I still have three left. I was inspired by the thread “1000 Bottles of wine but nothing to drink” thread (1000 bottles of wine but nothing to drink - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers) and realized why save the remaining vertical when I may not ever find the perfect opportunity to share all bottles at once.
So - why wait? Let’s open the '03. I am glad I opened it. I will revisit tonight.

Todd - If I post a second tasting note on the same wine but tasted at a different time, does that count for an extra $5?

I also bought a Lagier Meredith 3-year vertical (thanks Carole) on the 2012 BD and Chester’s Anvil in 2012 or maybe 2011. Looking forward to BD 2017!

Tasted the following day, without food. Remains a robust, rich wine with black fruits and a nice black pepper note. The cough syrup richness (port like notes) have dissipated, and the wine improved. Enjoyable.

Todd - worth another $5? I think so.

Hi Jeff.

Thanks for including Briceland in the Tasting. I’m glad you like the earlier bottle of that wine. Sorry about the corked bottle. I will be in touch by email to make it right. Are you sure it didn’t get tainted by being too close to that “beer” in the photo? newhere

Andrew, thanks for the email. No worries on my end. It happens from time to time. As far as the photo, that doesn’t qualify as beer in my world! Maybe that was the problem!