TN: 2007 Turley Zinfandel Juvenile

• 2007 Turley Zinfandel Juvenile - USA, California (11/19/2009)
    I normally avoid Zin like the plague due to its over the top ripe jammy fruit and high alcohol characteristics that you so often see but I hear such good things about the Turley Zinfandels that I decided to give their base bottling a try. I must say that I am certainly very impressed. Lots of blackberry fruit on the nose and a tease of the 15.9% alcohol as well. On the palate there is a nice balance of ripe, but not overly jammy, fruit and a nice firm feel to the tannins on the finish. I am surprised that the alcohol doesn’t come through on the palate the way it does on the nose. Tasty and ready to drink now, this wine renews my interest in the varietal in a way I wasn’t really expecting. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice note Rob.

Another, more restrained Zinfandel that you might like is Scherrer OMV.

Thanks for the note Rob - I was eyeing this to have on Thanksgiving amongst other wines. Turley is my guilty pleasure - way over the top, but still manages to have some complexity. They are always fun to drink!

Thanks for the note Rob. I Agree completely and am somewhat embarrassed to say that we’ve already killed two bottles of this.

David

I’m a big Turley fan, FWIW. I had the 06 Atlas Peak Mead Vnyd last week and it was atypically light and bright (even though it said 16.5%). Was a very nice, approachable, and even food friendly wine.