One bottle for entire meal suggestion

I am going to Fascino’s for dinner tomorrow and do their tasting menu with my wife. She doesn’t really drink wine so I am planning on just bringing one bottle. She does like champagne so i was thinking maybe a Schramsberg rose?

http://www.fascinorestaurant.com/pdf/Dinner%20Menu.pdf

Champagne or dry German Riesling

I was going to vote for a Riesling as well. Kabinett’s are often my go-to for someone who only kinda likes wine.

I have a few Prum and Keller Kabinetts. I was only worried about how they would work with like a gnocchi or duck breast

Champagne sounds good, maybe a Franciacorta or TrentoDOC (Ferrari) to keep it Italian…Another thought is a light Italian red such as Rossese (Producers: Terre Bianche or Punta Crena), Ruche (La Miraja), Grignolino, or Nebbiolo from Valle d’Aosta - Arnad Montjovet DOC, check out a co-op producer named La Kiuva. All very affordable, not sure on availability in your location… Let us know what you go with!

Duck breast I wouldn’t worry about. I’d be more concerned if you’re planning to order short ribs or a bolognese.

rose sparkling sounds like a fine idea to me.

A Kabinett should work well with the duck breast. Not sure about the gnocchi. Probably would depend on what it’s dressed with. Tomato-based sauces might be odd with riesling, but riesling is pretty adaptable. I bet it would be good with gnocchi in butter.

ricotta gnocchi, sweet sausage bolognese, basil, & pecorino

2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Kabinett
2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Kabinett
2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett

Decisions decisions decision…

Others have given great advice re the wine pairing.
Fascino is excellent - one of my favorites! Enjoy.

Then if you want one wine for everything, I’d lean toward a red. Or just accept that match with the riesling for that course may not be great. Worse things could happen. You’ll still enjoy one of the Prums, I’m sure.

Sigh… the difficulties of being the only wine drinker in a household. I may just have to bring a champagne and a red. I will let you know what I decide! Thanks all.

My friends has been telling me to go for the past couple years so I am finally going. Any suggestions?

Just as it’s okay to order more dishes than you can finish at a restaurant, it’s just fine to order/bring more wine than you can finish. Most place will stick a cork in any unfinished bottle and you can bring it on home with you. I’ve gone solo to places before and ordered more than one bottle just myself. Then enjoyed the rest over the next few days.

Champagne goes with everything.

Bring that pink, order two different reds btg and let her choose. This way you have bubbles and red.

What John said! Bring a red.

Don’t overthink the pairing idea - it’s entirely overdone these days. Nobody talked about it at all in times past. They drank what they had and ate what they had. They didn’t develop foods to go with their wines nor did they develop wines to go with their foods. So drink what you like and eat what you like.

There’s a lot with truffles and I’d probably go for all of those. And in that case, I’d bring something like I’m having right now, which is a good Tempranillo-based wine from Spain.

But the note on the bottom about the chef’s preference regarding cell phones? I can’t stand people who use cell phones at dinner, who text and check web sites, etc., while at the dinner table. It’s simply rude. But people with basic manners don’t do those things anyway. OTOH, when a chef tells you that you can’t use your cell phone unless you’re posting about his great food, I think he needs to be told exactly where he can shove that great food.

I have had by far the best success in scenarios like this with feinherb Riesling from the Mosel. Kabinett would not be horrible but I would personally prefer a drier, although not bone-dry option.

Better than Riesling: Grüner Veltliner matches well with almost everything …
it is simply more versatyle than Riesling and also Whity Burgundy …

I agree with you that many expressions of Grüner Veltliner are extremely versatile but on the other hand there is such a huge range of styles being produced that it would not hurt to be a bit more specific.

To those suggesting Jerome order wines by the glass, Fascino, like many NJ restaurants, does NOT have a liquor license and is strictly BYO.