TN: Dinner with Bill Klapp at Centro Storico in Serralunga d’Alba

DINNER WITH BILL KLAPP - Vinoteca Centro Storico, Serralunga d’Alba, Piedmont, Italy (7/5/2016)

Met up with Bill Klapp at Centro Storico. Bill brought a 1978 G. Rinaldi Barolo from his cellar and ordered the Pelaverga of the list.

More details and lots of pix here:

http://www.finewinegeek.com/tn/2016-07_Piedmont/2016-07-05d_CentroStorico_Klapp/

• 1978 Giuseppe Rinaldi Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Pop & pour. Big smoky, slightly dirty black fruit nose. Rich, dark, complex black fruit and tar in the mouth. Very earthy with black truffles, licorice, and tar on the palate. Still quite backward. Unfortunately, the wine was shaken on its way to the restaurant, so there is lots of sediment suspended in the wine. Still, its class and character show through. (93 pts.)
  • 2015 Comm. G.B. Burlotto Verduno Pelaverga - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Verduno Pelaverga
    Pop and pour off the list. Gorgeous nose of flowers and spice. Quite exotic. Smooth and silky in the mouth with a cornucopia of exotic flavors like red and orange fruits, cloves, cardamom, and pepper. Nice summer wine served cool. Goes better with the hams than the Barolo. (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

That was wonderful, thank you!

So Bill’s a shaken-not-stirred man when it comes to old Barolo?

Just strain it through your teeth.

Nice!
Thanks Ken

I miss Bill…a lot, a lot… [cry.gif]

You can go visit him.

I love that Klapp has Resting Pissed Face, even when having lunch in shorts in Serralunga d’Alba.

Nunquam non paratus.

LOL, in the pic where Bill is checking out the Rinaldi, he looks like Steve Bannon’s Doppleganger . . . Only smarter!

Ken, a truly outstanding read, love the details and pictures. I was drooling when I saw the pig.

Thanks for sharing.

I can insult you if it would make you feel better

[welldone.gif]

I suspect even you cannot pull off the verbal style of Bill.

Nah man, that style could not be copied.

What’s he like in real life?

The same. That’s him. He can reel off one of the rants just sitting there. It’s a gift.

Sorry to hear that.

Just me…or is the link not working for everyone else?

Why can’t I get the link to work?

Tried to read, but for me the link isn’t working. Maybe I am more interested in that I was there a few weeks ago… and had a very good time. We had the upstairs to ourselves, 8 of us

so nice to see Bill. He unfortunately cancelled our lunch together when we were in Piedmont. We loved the vibe and Alessio at Vino Centro Storico.

Sorry. All fixed now.