While most get ready for the grim reaper, some follow their dream :At Last, Becoming a Winemaker

While most get ready for the grim reaper, some follow their dream :At Last, Becoming a Winemaker

At Last, Becoming a Winemaker

Click on me

The magnitude of the work is what most people are shocked about when they really see how to make wine, inc grape growing … if it doesn’t kill you then you’re going to be alright … follow your dream… enjoy the read … I wish this dude well ….

I will say he is smart not growing grapes to start, that is a whole other business … it took me 16 years to figure out what clone to plant for PN and Riesling, so his age does not allow this kind of experimentation … I would say if you’re not growing grapes by age 40 you’re not going to really be able to run experiments… nonetheless what make me think this will work is that it’s a family business and the younger generation is involved…. Still one usually sees the ten years of paying one’s dues in order to become somewhat proficient at the multitude of tasks one must master to make a great wine… last let’s hope he has a shadow or ghost winemaker to help along the way, it makes a very big difference when you defer to experience, once you grasp the craft it really becomes second nature…

Shalom !!!

Salute !!!

PS another article from a younger perspective …
No, You Can’t Become a Winemaker Overnight

Click on me

“You can’t just take a bunch of stuff and shove it all in one year,” said Mr. Brown. “We make a joke that if only there were 10 harvests a year, we could get really good at this really fast.” In fact, some assistants work a second harvest in the Southern Hemisphere during Napa’s off season to try to “fast track” their knowledge, said Mr. Brown.