My Cab Franc from Spain.

TN: 2011 Aljibes Cabernet Franc Chinchilla de Montearagon, Castilla-La Mancha.

$30 Cdn, 13.5% alc, composite cork, Lot 082414, opened and decanted one hour. http://www.aljibes.com.

Watery cherry rim but a rich medium to deep intense centre.
Aromatic nose on opening…pepper, spice, berryish, blackcurrant, no green peppers or olive. No veggie tones either. All is good!
Initial entry thought is dry-ish, soft tannins, lengthy finish, not quite a new world style. Crisp acidity here for sure with cherry, blackberry, pepper and spice. Very good fruit balance here, herbal, hint of ripeness on day 2. “Hints of green pepper” from across the table “with a big monthfeel”. This CF only gets better on day 2 with more character one looks for (in a CF). Especially olives. Big success for sure, CT has some interesting notes on this area of Spain.

Interesting, Bob, will seek one out. I’m always trying CFs from around the world out of idle curiosity, but in truth, very few ever match up to what I adore in Loire CF. Last week I tried a couple of the CFs from Argentinian producer, Enemigo. The WA has been slapping huge scores on these wines,. Including some high-90s up to 98. But the notes suggest I might like them, mentioning citrus and salinity. I found them to be ubiquitous purple drink. Total pass. I did follow up with a very nice Raats from South Africa. I’ve been impressed with this winery, producing a basic CF that should appeal to most Loire CF geeks - but, only the basic bottlings, do not go for the uber-cuvee, which is over-oaked and entirely on the dark spectrum of fruits. The basic Raats CF and their cheaper bottling, Jasper, exhibit a range of red fruits and very crisp acidity, with the CF bottling even showing some barn notes.

No veggie tones? Not varietally correct, IMO.

Sounded as though they were there on day 2

There is also a P Verdot in my cellar ready to go!

Hi Bob,

great notes… as a CF producer for over 20 years working with this grape your notes described a great CF … as you know CF grows great in the FLX and North Fork of LI, NY where I have vineyards … the expressions are different, yet at the core you find common ground with all Cab Franc’s … again great notes and what seems like a interesting producer from Spain … will have to find one to try …

Shalom !!!

Salute !!!

Hi Bob,

great notes… as a CF producer for over 2 decades working with this grape your notes described a great CF … as you know CF grows great in the FLX and North Fork of LI, NY where I have vineyards … the expressions are different, yet at the core you find common ground with all Cab Franc’s … again great notes and what seems like a interesting producer from Spain … will have to find one to try …

Shalom !!!

Salute !!!