What dishwasher do you use for your stems?

We’re in the market for a new dishwasher, and I’d like to find one that does a better job with stems than our current one. If you have one that works great for stems, what is it?

We have hard water that leaves a bad haze on glassware if I don’t use rinse aids and detergent boosters. I’ve seen some dishwashers that claim to have built-in water softeners or other tech to deal with this. If you have one of those, I’d be really curious to hear about how well it works.

FWIW, I wash all my stems by hand. Always. Even after hosting a party with multiple stems per person.

Our Bosch 800 does a pretty good job as long as we use rinse aid. Main stemware is the riedel overture line with short stems.
It sometimes leaves a residue near the lip of the glass where the “mouth marks” are. I keep a microfiber cloth handy as I unload and give the lip a quick wipe.

By hand using Stemshine from Wine Enthusiast/Amazon.

Yep. I used to wash 100 or so once or twice a month. It doesn’t take that long.

I have a Miele. It does a beautiful job on my Zalto stems. It has a built in salt dispenser to condition that hard water. I think this will do the trick for you.

Ditto. We have very hard water and stems look awful if I do them by hand, unless I really buff well with a microfiber. Look great out of the dishwasher.

This

All done by hand in hot water only with an emphasis on the rims and then Riedel towel wiped.

I take a soft scrubber and wash the rim with light soap and water. Then into the washer for a 2 hour hot water only wash. A squirt of Oxiclean for dishwashers keeps things from getting stinky. If I use a towel to dry a rim, it is a white paper towel. I get too much smell from any other towel.

If only my palate were as astute as my nose…

I throw the new Riedels into the recycling bin, after one use. Problem solved.

Victor, wine glasses aren’t recyclable.

I thought your previous employer gave you a golden shower, not a golden parachute!

[snort.gif] I was hoping to be green while wasteful. Well, at least, I burn the cartons on my roof garden, to avoid filling up landfills.

Does Riedel have s special glass for that drink?

[cheers.gif]

Fyi, your joke still made me laugh.

Are you offering to come wash mine too? :wink:

I have some I wash by hand, but I like to throw my “daily drinker” glasses in the dishwasher. So sue me.

Our Asko Asea gave up the ghost last year after 23 years of use. The newer Askos and most European made dishwashers don’t have drying coils so you have to hand dry everything or let them sit in the dishwasher for hours, so Asko was off the market for us.

Carrie opted for a Kitchenaid pro wash KDFE104DSS that has adjustable racks, stainless steel tub and a sanitizer/rinse agent dispenser to eliminate spots. You can purchase stemware racks for the dishwasher.

We give it 5 stars.

Miele, hands down the best dishwasher and wine glass cleaner I’ve ever owned.

I used to hand wash every stem. Then I renovated my house. I am very happy - no, thrilled - with my new dishwasher. It is the Bosch Benchmark® Series Model SHV9PT53UC. It has a dishwasher salt container if you have hard water. This thing cleans everything beautifully. Water glasses that I had soaked with vinegar and hand scrubbed still had scum on them - until one trip thru the bosch. Of all my new appliances - Capital Culinarian 36" open burner range, french-door Sub Zero fridge included - the d/w is what I am most pleased with. I do use the recommended detergent (Finish powerball somethingerother) and have a whole house water filtration system tho and that helps I suspect.