Attention Michigan residents: Shipping wine from out of state may soon become illegal

A bill like this was already introduced in 2008 and was deemed unconstitutional.

They’re trying it again and already got a 36 to 0 vote in the Senate:

If you are a Michigan resident, please e-mail the following people and voice your opposition!

I am opposed to Senate Bill 1088 because it unfairly prohibits me from having wine shipped to me from out of state retailers. It is a special interest bill that unconstitutionally discriminates against interstate commerce and will block me from buying the wines I want. Please oppose this legislation both in the House Commerce Committee and on the House floor.

Include your name and address in any correspondence. A telephone call and an email will be most impactful.

House Speaker Kevin Cotter
Commerce Committee Chairman Joseph Graves
House Commerce Committee Vice Chair Jason Sheppard

Illinois passed a similar bill a few months ago. Their’s makes it a felony for a retailer to ship into the state. So much for free commerce.

It’s about time lawmakers started looking out for the liquor distributors.

[welldone.gif]

one of the worst aspects of this is that it is being done in the “lame duck” session, which finds many term limited legislators looking for their next job - often with the help of (or even soon to be in the employ of) alcoholic beverage distributors and suppliers, Michigan’s biggest lobby. It is the worst mash up of Legislators, lobbyists, term limits and money where there is no need to have any regard for the electorate.