5 Popular Wine Myths

Nothing earth shattering here, but always fun to see what’s out there and to start more conversations . . .

Happy Turkey Day all!

Cheers!

http://fromthevine.wtso.com/home/2016/10/12/5-popular-wine-myths

1787 Château Lafite which supposedly had Thomas Jefferson’s initials etched into the surface sold for an astonishing $156,450.00. All of the hype surrounding bottle aging can give the false impression that older wines are better. In reality, the 1787 Lafite mentioned earlier is almost certainly undrinkable.

If I am not mistaken, wasn’t this proven to be a fake. So it probably was a pretty good drink thanks to Hardy.

“Myth: Dry white wines are a zero-calorie beverage”

Is this a thing?

“I won’t buy any more wine.”

That’s right. None of Hardy’s or Rudy’s bottles was ever over the hill or corked.

Not one of them beat my thread here on the myth of letting wines breath. :slight_smile:

Myth: there’s anything useful in internet click bait

You are not mistaken. The story surrounding the bottle is in “Billionaire’s Vinegar.” What’s his face from WS bought it and broke it.

Not Marv Shanken. Malcolm Forbes. Apparently put in display with spotlight (!!!) and cork shrunk and fell in.

The broken bottle, although can’t remember which one exactly it was, belonged to Sokolin. As per the book, he was parading it around, “bragadocious"ly”, at an event and the neck broke off in his hand.

the “1787 Lafite” Forbes bought was the $156K bottle. The “1787 Margaux” from same “discovery” was one Sokolin bought.

With respect to legs, I have been to many wine tastings of people like us - people into wine - and have never heard anyone discuss a wine’s legs. Ever.

Whenever I am at some type of wine tasting for beginners (say on a cruise or something), the leader always discusses a wine’s legs.

1945 saw very limited production in Vosne Romanee, Gevery-Chambertin and Pauilliac.

Sly

Indeed.

[cheers.gif]

Exactly my experience.

Yup, Chris. When I’m tasting w/ experienced wine people, a note of the legs almost never comes up. It seems to be mostly when some “expert”
wishes to impress the newbies by throwing out that term.
However, in my LosAlamos group, when we encounter a wine w/ great legs, it usually results in a heated discussion of the
Gibbs-Marangoni Effect, complete w/ equations, Powerpoint slides, computer simulations, fisticuffs, debates on the benefits of
Riedel glassware in enhancing the Marangoni Effect, etc…all the usual stuff you’d expect from a bunch of doofus scientists…with no discussion
of actual legs, MarilynMonroe’s or whoever’s.
Tom

Just saw “Sour Grapes” where Rajat Parr actually refers to “legs”.

I just saw Sour Grapes too and was surprised to hear Raj Parr talking about legs. Then I thought about it for a second and realized why he brought that up. He was mentioning how Rudy K. was a very good blind taster. The only useful thing legs show us is how much alcohol is in the wine, in relative terms. So, legs can be used as a tool in blind tasting to help figure out if the wine is from a warmer or cooler region/vintage.

How about the myth of the wet cork? That’s probably the biggest wine myth of all, imho.