Get ready:UPS Stopping retailer shipments midstream

The UPS tracking info for my package states the sender requested a change of address and that it will be returned to them, instead of being delivered today. The box had arrived at the UPS airport hub in a neighboring state and was stopped before its flight.
I called the sender, my long time compadre and was told UPS did it, not him. They are selectively going after retailers across the nation–we know about the big boyz such as K&L, now its the smaller guys. Officially, now they can only ship to Alaska, DC Hawaii and only one other state, as per his UPS rep. A couple of dozen of his shipments this week are all being return by UPS.
Sure hope this does not happen to too many others this holiday season.

I think I am getting the bouquet of lobbyist payoffs/contributions to politicians, it reminds me of dirty sweaty checks, or possibly paper money with a whiff of good old Southern hospitality. It smells dank with probable rotten pools of anti consumerism festering. I am also detecting a hint of sour grapes and dried up relationships, totally unwanted by the players in the field, one of which is certainly being played, or threatened.
I guess big biz is winning already, albeit prematurely. I was prepared for January.

Are they not shipping into CA now?

From what I understand, it is now a majority of states that do not allow shipping and it’s a list that has been growing for the past few years. And the payoffs aren’t all that big either.

I guess big biz is winning already, albeit prematurely. I was prepared for January.

I’m not sure what that means but if it means Trump, remember that he has a winery that is going to be affected by this. The anti-shipping movement is not affiliated with any party - Granholm was a Democratic governor who appealed all the way to the Supreme Court. When she lost, the Republican governor of NY, Pataki, dropped the argument but she didn’t and the current Dem governor of NY, Cuomo, has allowed the ban to continue.

The only party that matters is the greenback party.

Was this going to California or another state?

Hard to penetrate that post

You might want to take DC off that list soon. I expect the current congress to slip a rider in somewhere screwing us over on yet another thing.

UPS still ships retail to consumer in at least one state.

So it’s all up to FedEx now (or soon)?

I wouldn’t count on it … The states aren’t picking favorites and are putting pressure on both UPS and FedEx.

Wineries and retailers have nothing to do with each other when it comes to shipping wines. Retailers have a set of states to ship to (now being enforced, and highly limited) and wineries have a set of states (MUCH bigger, and so far, quite safe list). UPS and FedEx are being asked to play by the rules.

Please see other discussions where I have been posting about this over the last week.

This shipping issue has to be cutting into the profit/sales of some retail stores and especially auction houses. Anyone know how badly?

I just had the exact same thing happen on a non wine shipment from eBay today. “Seller requested change of address”. Maybe there is more to the story. UPS system issues?

I’m not sure i know what anyone is talking about. I have recent shipments from K&L and Spanish Table here in New Mexico. No hassle whatsoever.

They are now using a private shipping company.

Just got a UPS shipment today in a state not on that list. There are several states that allow shipping not on the list, so it seems to be complete misinformation.

A private shipping company? Did UPS become a government agency when I wasn’t looking?

UPS and FDX are public companies. Just in case you weren’t looking.

A public, publicly traded, publicly held company, or public corporation is a corporation whose ownership is dispersed among the general public in many shares of stock which are freely traded on a stock exchange or in over the counter markets.

And it’s only a matter of time before this gets impacted too.

I’ve said it in 2 other threads, and it needs to be said here too- Things are going to a lot worse, and it’s going to take a long time for things to come back.

Package was from CT going to CA made it to Philly by ground and stopped…
From the UPS tracking site
“11/22/2016 1:29 P.M. The sender requested a delivery change for this package. / The package will be returned to the sender”

There rest of the info in the upper portion of the post came from the retailer based on his discussions with his UPS rep.

It is retail stores being targeted, not wineries.

UPS probably does not want to get into more legal battles over illegally shipped goods(see NY vs UPS over illegal cigarettes–NY wants $872 million from UPS), so this wine issue may be preemptive.

Not sure who they are using but I know there are GSO(Golden State Overnight) -like regional players popping up all over that will happily accept consolidated loads and make the “last-mile” regional deliveries.

I think it’s a small shipping company. Once it gets to the delivery state, it gets passed on to FDX or UPS.