Kutch Chard - Wow

Popped the '14 Kutch Chard last night and I was blown away. So was my wife, who thought this was 1er or GC White Burg before I told her what it was. One of the more exciting new wines I’ve tried this year.

2014 Kutch Chardonnay
Thrilling wine. Medium-intense nose of white flowers and citrus leads to a concentrated palate of citrus and apple fruit, bright acids, and subtle chalky minerals. The dry extract and depth–coupled with the balanced middleweight profile and pure fruit–make this a dead ringer for a very good village White Burg. One of the better CA whites I can remember and astounding for a first effort. One to seek out. 93

That’s an Old Skool grading scale you’re on there.

98 is the new 93.

Maybe even 101.

Ugh. Now I really want to open one up.

Ryan, did you give it any air? Great note, btw.

I didn’t decant, but my wife and I emptied a bottle slowly over several hours, so it got some air. It did improve with a couple hours of air.

I tasted this for the first time last week at the final IPOB. A stunning wine and IMHO it was the best Chard presented at the tasting.

Have not had the Chardonnay but how do you seek it out if you are not on their mailing list? They will not sell any to you and there seems to be none on the secondary market.

Commerce Corner?

Call them.

Yah.
Best Cali chardonnay I had this year.
Tried to get more but Jamie said he’s been long sold out.
Not surprising…kudos!!!

Nope and Nope. Tried Commerce corner. None there. Called them, none available.

Got six bottles, which I tried to squirrel away so I won’t be tempted. Might have to break one out. Trying. To. Stay. Strong.

Glad I grabbed six. One may have to go for Thanksgiving.

My note from this past weekend:

• 2014 Kutch Chardonnay - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (11/19/2016)
    Out with friends (Scarecrow, Jonata, 7 Stones, Kutch, Rhys, Baumard) (University Circle): My first time trying the Chardonnay. Beautiful. Like a blend of California sunshine and Chablis minerality. The bottle was served at slightly cooler than cellar temps (maybe 50F). Light golden in color. Very nice nose with a slight chalkiness, and some bright red (fuji) apple fruit. Maybe a slight tropical sense to it, but very slight. On the palate, this has a creamy texture. Did this see oak? I don’t taste it, but it has that feel or perhaps that is from stem inclusion? Not sure. In any event, the palate is all about the apples. Mostly green, some red, a slight cider note at the back end. Really delicious. This was the opening wine and I look forward to another bottle that I can really spend some time with. I am not sure I did not score it too low. In many ways, this reminds me of the Rhys Chards which I love. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Totally agree Dan and feel lucky that I picked up a 6-pack. When you consider some of the Chard producers that were at IPOB, I was totally blown away by Jamie’s wine after going through Failla, Hirsch, Ceritas, Mount Eden, Hanzell, Liquid Farm, Littorai, Thomas Fogarty, Lioco, Varner, Copain, Ojai and Wind Gap…it is that good. And as an aside, I thoroughly enjoyed the the Fogarty chards; they appear to have stepped up their game.

Pulled a bottle for Thanksgiving meal

Sounds like a virtual TN thread in the making. It’d be cool if several of us just dropped notes back here based on what Ryan has started. I’m down with doing one this week, too, posting it back here.

Had pulled a couple of these out for the long weekend as well. The notes sound great on this - looking forward to it.

Game on, note to follow later or tomorrow. (stupid twisted image, can’t fix the damn thing).
20161121_172557.jpg

Frank, you’re my idol.

Fyi, now I’m absolutely opening one of these up for turkey day, will post a TN. I also made a donation to Laura’s House.

Never heard of Kutch. What is the price point? And how are the pinots? Thanks