TNs: Henri Bonneau & Friends: 98, '01, '06 Celestins, '01 Rayas, '90 Jaboulet La Chapelle

TNS: HENRI BONNEAU & FRIENDS ('98, '01, '06 CELESTINS, '01 RAYAS, '90 JABOULET LA CHAPELLE - ATL (11/18/2016)

Got together with some of the guys last night to drink some wine at Aria.
Rob Klafter was the instigator, thanks to Rob for moving back to town and whipping us in to shape!

I don’t drink a ton of southern Rhone wine anymore, but these are special wines that I’m thankful to drink on occasion.
There were other wines (yummy Hubert Lamy!) but this was mostly about the CdPs.

A nice Thursday evening with some good fellas.

• 1990 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage
    From a pair of .375s…All about the earth here. Mushroom, barnyady funk. Resolved, full., and drinking nicely. Dark fruit. Some iron notes emerge. Most mature bottle on the table, and in that sense, the most reserved, but drinking as you would want Chapelle.
  • 2001 Château Rayas Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reserve - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Stellar wine. Beautiful aromatics, asian spice and floral. Palate is so refined and elegant. Clean waves of sweet cherry fruit and wisps of acid. Drinking beautifully. Weightless., but energetic. Sails on…A CdP for Burgheads. just terrific. Probably my WOTN.
  • 1998 Henri Bonneau Châteauneuf-du-Pape Réserve des Célestins - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Special wine. Loads of garrigue and wild floral notes on the nose. Fully evolved of its youthful brash, it is now elegant and lighter in the mouth. It’s almost elegant, yet it’s full on. It walks a nice balance of deep concentration and fruit without feeling overblown. Great with the venison course.
  • 2001 Henri Bonneau Châteauneuf-du-Pape Réserve des Célestins - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    This one shows more barnyard and wild animale notes. Deep deep cherry core here with a good dose of black pepper. Coats the palate. Really began to open up with air. Needs a healthy decant or come back in 5 years. A bold adolescent. Terrific wine.
  • 2006 Henri Bonneau Châteauneuf-du-Pape Réserve des Célestins - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Still so young and primary. Lots of bramble spice and garrigue. You can feel the sappy weight of the heady fruit on this one. Comes across as more wild and untamed right now. Layers of rich fruit. Big wine. Good now, much room to improve in time imo.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice!! I don’t think I’ve encountered a wine as old but as shut down as 90 la chapelle ha.

Also 01 rayas is so freaking good.

Great notes. Thx

All damn day on that Rayas!
Thanks, fu,

Dennis, thank you for your notes. :slight_smile:

“A bold adolescent.” Nice descriptor(or, [ion])! Thanks for the notes.

Best,

Kenney

Lots of fun with you, Rob K, Rob A (baker Rob) and Big Toe.

Great notes Dennis.

I loved all the wines.

The 2001 Celestins had this complexity and finesse mixed with power that just slayed me. The 98 was more of everything but so balanced. It was a wild wine . The Celestins is unique in many ways. So beautifully put together.

I love Rayas. This 2001 is a personal favorite and my last bottle. I am so happy I could share it with you guys.

Great night
Great wines

The bonneaus were living and pulsating.The 2001 was my fave. Velveteen texture and duct taped together balance. Impossible to plan to make.

The rayas was buttoned up and proper. Not a slight. Jacket and tie, black dress and pearls with the cousins from the country thrashing about at the dinner table

Both excellent

Thank you so much for welcoming me into your group. Many more good wines to come

Perfect use of high octane Grenache

[cheers.gif]

Thanks for the comments guys. Don-that Rayas. So good, thanks.

Love those descriptors.

Thanks - sounds really great … some of my favorite producers/wines!

Wow that is some great grenache (mostly) there.