TN: 2006 Boislauzon - Châteauneuf-du-Pape "Cuvée du Quet" (France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, CdP)

2006 Mas de Boislauzon Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée du Quet - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (10/30/2016)
– decanted 2.5 hours before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 3 hours –
– 65% Grenache, 35% Mourvedre –

NOSE: thyme; aged dark fruits; “dark” aromatic profile; definitely starting to smell aged now; seems to be gaining focus relative to prior tastings in 2009 and 2014.

BODY: black-violet color of great depth; medium-full bodied.

TASTE: smoky leather; labelled at 14% alc., but I’d bet it’s a bit more than that; still some fine tannin; hint of oak; pleasant melangé of black cherry and earthiness/soil. I really like where this wine is going, and finally feel like it’s at an enjoyable spot in its evolution. This has five more years in it – no doubt, 10 more years – probably, and maybe even 15 years: I’ll call it Drink Now – 2026, to be safe. Gut impression score: low 90s.

Thanks for the notes, Brian!

I am interested in the Mas de Boislauzon Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Tintot, 100% Mourvedre (or close to it). Have you ever tasted it?

The '07 Cuvee du Quet was the best young wine I ever tasted.

Sadly I have a case of the CDP and just 2 bottles of this.

the regular CdP is no slouch, either, Joe.

Good to hear! I have a lone bottle resting on its side. I’ve not yet tasted that vintage.

Yes. I tasted both the '06 and '07 when I visited the domaine back in 2010. The '06 struck me as slightly corked (winemaker felt otherwise, however), and the '07 was good. Both were very “dark” and brooding; hard for me to determine to what extent I liked them. At the end of the day, I’m not sure they’re worth the tariff ---- that would ultimately depend on how well they age, I suppose. As it is now, my preferences bring me more to Bandol than CdP for my Mourvedre.

I’ll have to open one soon. Last check-in was 2009, a dark tannic beast to say the least.

I felt the same in 2009, Joe. My 2014 note isn’t much different:

2006 Mas de Boislauzon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (12/12/2014)
– popped and poured –
– tasted a couple glasses non-blind over approx. one hour –

Very tight, and in need of a healthy decant right now. Very “dark” profile — both aromatically and on the palate. Continue to Hold until 2016.

… weird to see that I’ve opened both the Quet and regular in '09 and '14. I suppose I should crack one of my two remaining regulars — or maybe you can bite that bullet for us both? :wink:

Thanks for the note Brian, sounds like a fun wine.

I have a lone bottle of the 06 Tintot which i guess is 100% Mouvedre (kinda cool), I am correct in thinking hands of this sucker for a good spell, maybe 5 years or so?

Yes, for sure. I had the '06 Tintot few months back, and it is quite closed – not especially tannic or hard, just not showing much.

I had the 2005 Cuvee du Quet last year and it was showing wonderfully with a small decant, one of the high points for me in 2015 for sure.

2006 Mas de Boislauzon Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée du Quet - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (6/22/2020)
– decanted 15 min. before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over a few hours –

NOSE: dark; earthy; old wooden furniture; obvious tertiary elements now present; hint of tanned leather; raspberry liqueur.

BODY: some sediment present; dark red-purple color of great depth; full bodied.

TASTE: big; dark; earthy; bitter, chewable aspirin; Red Delicious apple skin on the finish; objectively, this is in its window, but for my preferences I think this still needs more time. Drink or Hold.

2006 Mas de Boislauzon Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée du Quet - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (11/25/2020)
– decanted approx. 1 hour before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –

NOSE: expressive, with an overall “dark” presentation: cherry cough syrup; hint of old wood furniture; a bit fumey.

BODY: medium bodied; very dark color of great depth – slight bricking throughout.

TASTE: bitter; “dark”; lightly tannic; medium acidity; just as with the bottle in June of this year, this comes across as being in its prime drinking window, albeit on the front end of it.

2006 Mas de Boislauzon Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée du Quet - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (3/12/2022)
– decanted approx. 30 min. before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 1.5 hrs on Day 1; revisited on Day 2 –

NOSE: rich, concentrated cherry/raspberry; beef bouillon. DAY 2: savor, dark, aged CdP aromatics.

BODY: full bodied; burgundy/mahogany color with slight bricking throughout; color is of great depth.

TASTE: adequate acidity; alc. pokes-through a bit; lightly tannic; some bitter/savory tertiary aspects; dark-fruited; hint of motor oil. Drink Now or over the next 5 to 10 years.