Not Political: How do you think a crack down on undocumented workers will impact the wine industry.

In CA.

Keep it apolitical please. Just assume a major uptick in deportations.

Funny how so many “non-political” topics really are about politics. [soap.gif] [swearing.gif] [stirthepothal.gif] pileon

I mean, doesn’t this obviously mean cost of wines will going up?

I bet minimal impact. Your post makes me wonder though, I wonder what percent of grapes that go into $100+ bottles of wine are picked by people who are not provided health insurance by their employer?

The thread subject reminds of when someone prefaces an insult with, “no offense, but”.

No offense, but isn’t this a question better suited for CellarRats?

It will affect availability of labor, which is always a challenge . . .

Look for a push towards more automation in all areas and at all proceeds points . . .

Cheers!

Yes, wage demands of documented workers is going higher. Not just wine, all food.

I know not Ca, but here in Washington there was a threat of a crackdown and there were fields of Asparagus that were left to die, tons of orchard fruits that were left on the tree and prices went up almost double.

There was a push to pay close to $18 per hour and still no local white people would do the job, those who did quit shortly after starting.

You asked for apolitical and besides the white people comment this is as close as I could get.

That year, 2012 I believe farmers almost lost their farms and people in those communities suffered, no matter what side of the aisle you’re on, you have to recognize that without immigrants the farm labor on a large scale doesn’t get done.

sounds like a job for… interns…

It seems like a case where there should be common ground. There is a workforce and they are doing important jobs we can’t entirely fill with citizens.

Just curious, you think that Mexicans are the only ones willing to accept this work, for these wages?

Chinese, Romanians, or San Salvadorians would say no?

So if you break the rules…ok. Otherwise fu.

I think that Napa would be fine if they just sent buses to inner city American neighborhoods in san fran,san jose, sacramento, oakland and los angeles. Plenty of able bodied out of work people ready to work the vines.

of course, you might have to take away all their freebies first.

San Savadorians?

This is actually very skilled work. It takes a few vintages for the pickers to get up to the speed that they need to be without cutting off fingers, otherwise the other workers eat their lunch and be pissed they are so slow. Pruning in particular, you don’t want unskilled labor doing this job.

Over the years I’ve had people say they would like to help only to find them asleep in the fields half-way through. It is as physical a job as any I can think of. This year I had to do a lot of extra work due to the lack of workers. I’m still paying the price in incredibly painful tendonitis in both my forearms.

No offense but another in your very long line of less than insightful posts. The issue is actually real and is of concern to some wine growers.

There are 15 to 20 Hispanic men gathered in the parking lot across from Home Depot in Napa everyday, looking for and willing to do most any work. They can’t get jobs in the vineyards or not qualified. Yes, qualified. There are a number of vineyard management companies in Napa that have full staffing. They are efficient and productive with people who work with them on a regular basis when not employed full time. Most of these companies were built by individuals who worked the vines 20 or 30 years ago as undocumented workers and are now naturalized citizens. Some even have their own vineyards and wineries.

Meanwhile, at two of the entrances of The South Market Place where Home Depot is located, there are white men and women with cardboard signs asking for monetary assistance. The man and woman who work the North entrance live in a section 8 house 2 block away and supplement their social security income by panhandling at the exit Stop sign. Most Americans don’t want to do manual labor if they can avoid it.

I have been told by many many owners that this woukd significantly impact (in a very negative sense) the wine industry.

well, lay out the qualifications for me, then lets get to work on a training schedule. everyone has to start at the bottom you know. work your way up. or is that asking too much of inner city Americans these days. but like i said, once you remove all those freebies they might be used to, they may want to work for their money

Bingo

Undocumented workers having been working the fields since rover was a pup. American born workers typically have not wanted this type of intensive manual labor. Before there was a safety net this has been an ongoing problem.