2014 Lewelling now live

Any big Lewelling fans?

The 2014 offer just went live.

Took my 3 x 2-packs and wish-listed 3 more.

The Wight Cab has to be the best QPR in Napa.

I bought 2 2-packs. First vintage for me was 2010 and have bought ever since (although feel like I was ripped off for 2011-even though there was no Wight cab and just the regular release).

How do you break out the price of the wines, to determine that the Wight Cab has to be the best QPR in Napa (note sure about that one). $40 and $64? $50 and $54?? $52 and $52?

The thing is, the regular cab is no slouch, so I don’t like to under-value it. However, the Wight is an exceptional wine. I think $65 / $39 is fair.

IMO, the non-Wight is just as good, if not better than, Chappellet Signature which is a $50+ wine today, and I personally prefer the Wight to Chap’s Pritchard Hill, which is a $150+ wine these days.

I have a hard time thinking of a Napa Cab I like more for $65, especially one being produced by a small family with a relatively low production. Even with $7 shipping and buying a year out, I just can’t think of an alternative I prefer for the price.

Sounds good to me!!

Order in, just had to do the update password thing.
Bruce, these are available at some retailers, so that’s another way to determine price.

Gotcha , no biggie to me. I’m a buyer as long as I continue to see value. I was just curious how the OP determined QPR on 1 bottle of a 2-pack.

Good point, CJ. However, Wine-searcher shows the 2012 Wight ranging from $70 - $130 and the regular cab from $48 - $90, so something is a little off there.

Lewellings are wonderful, consistently top notch wines, been buying for a long time. Dave Wight is a great guy and a talented winemaker.

Have you had the 2011??

Just tried to place my order and it’s SOLD OUT!!

I’ll open one this weekend… for science.

Have you?

2 of them. Did not like them at all. I found nothing redeeming about them; I had the last one a year ago or so.

I know this gets posted every year, but you guys should check out Hayfork-the niece makes it using lewelling fruit.

Interesting. The Lewelling Hayfork is $75 and their “Field Select” is $125.

I wonder what fruit she’s getting and how the high price is justified.

It’s essentially double to price of Lewelling. Has anyone tried it? Curious to understand the difference.

H is cherrypicking.
And she will be winemaker at Lewelling very soon.

I took my three 2-pks and wished an additional three.
I’ve been on the list since the 07 vintage.

Have you had the 2011? If so, thoughts??

2011 is just… meh…

However, the 2007 non-wight bottling is truly awful. Somehow the Wight bottling from the same year is very good. Not sure what happened to cause that difference, but it is definitely there.

The Wight family has owned the land for quite a while and maintains incredibly fair prices. For me, it is absolutely an amazing QPR. In addition, they have barely raised the prices over the last few years. They sell the vast majority of their grapes to many premium producers who charge far more for the finished product than Lewelling does. I feel, personally, that they could charge the pair price for the Wight bottling independently and yet they don’t. That is the beauty of owning the land for many years and not being obsessed with pulling out every possible dollar for their wine. Again, I am amazed as to how people trip all over themselves to buy XYZ first vintage Napa cab for crazy prices and yet seem to overlook the Napa veterans. Again just MNSHO and YMMV. As an aside, I just opened a 2004 regular bottling and it was drinking beautifully.
I guess it is quite obvious that I am a fan!! flirtysmile

Cheers!
Marshall champagne.gif

We got our 2 cases ordered up of this. I can’t say enough great things about the people behind the operation.

For a couple of tasting notes, we opened a 99 Lewelling last Friday, and while clearly starting to show it’s age, and on the slope to becoming a very mature and aged wine, it still showed classic Lewelling fruits, with tannins that will allow the wine to go a few more years without risk of fading away. That being said, for my tastes, the wine probably peaked 2 years ago or so. On the flip side, we had an 04 Wight vineyard last night at House of Prime Rib, and it was simply amazing. At 12 years, showing no signs of entering mid-life. Color was still very dark, no signs of bricking. The tannins and fruit were coming together nicely, and it held up great to the Prime Rib. Easily a 40+ second finish.