Can you help me find a large format crowd pleaser?

Hello, all. I’ve not stuck my head in this corner of the internet for a while, and sniffing around here brings back good memories. I was confronted with a wine problem today, and I thought I’d turn to you for advice.

I need a large-format (3L or 5L) bottle of something red that will appeal to the wine-snob and the masses for a big holiday dinner the first Saturday of December. I do not have anything in my cellar bigger than a magnum - mostly because I don’t like the idea of dying while I’m waiting fora wine to mature. I’ve been called in in the past to bring something, and I’ve had varying success by dumpster-diving at the retailers and brokers I’ve used over the years. One year I took a big bottle of Scholium Project (I forgot which one), and the group surprised me by liking it. Another year we had a green bottle of Ch Lascombes that was essentially undrinkable (but we re-bottle it and it was singing two nights later).

Anyway, I’m looking for a decent bottle that we can open and consume on the same day. No real budget, but I’d like to keep it in the $500-1000 range (or less). So far I’ve checked bpwine, benchmark, & winebid (these have always been my go-tos when my cellar can’t supply my needs). Can any of you point me in a better direction?

Sojourn cellars is offering large format bottles.

Why not aim for 3 or 4 magnums? Easier to handle, and many more wines available in that format…

The Costco in SoCal has a display of large format bottles, 3L -5L. Worth checking out locally.

And some decent stuff that would work for the crowd pleasure side of the requirement.

Patricia Green Cellars has 3L and 5L bottles of Pinot Noir at well under your target price. The 2014 is what shows up now on their website, and while drinking it so young is not ideal, it was a warm year. The wine will please everyone from novice to snob.
You might ask Jim Anderson if they have something mature stashed away.

P Hickner

Check Klwines. They have a few 3L of 2005 bordeaux in stock. Its possible one of them may be drinkable. They also have 3L 1996 Chinon that looks really interesting.

btw, let me know if you are gonna bid on the 1985 Inglenook 3L on KL. I won’t bid against you.

Look to Beaujolais. Crowd pleaser and also wine snob approved. It should also go with just about any dinner.

I saw that Chinon, but sadly, KL doesn’t ship to GA

Edit- just looked at the Inglenook. That might be worth the dice-toss. KL’s shipping rules don’t appear to apply to auctions. Need to double-check on that.

Not to the plebes who signed up on their website three minutes ago. What do you see, Bud? (feel free to PM if you prefer).

Let’s just say that in this group, size matters.

Just got an email from Benchmark regarding “big bottles”. Not cheap, but if they ship to you, it might be an option.

Look at Benchmark wines. They have some nice ones, 3L - 6L, right in your price wheelhouse.

Grapes the wine company in White Plains NY owned and operated by Dan Posner generally has a variety of large formats in stock.

Check out Gary’s Wines in New Jersey.

Jay - PM sent.

I looked at those this morning. I’ve been a customer of theirs for years. The Leoville Poyferre 1995 looks like it might work.