Sherry Week

This next week is time to get your sherry on in no uncertain terms. There is plenty going on - in Madrid it is wall to wall - Sherry Week in Madrid (and beyond) | undertheflor.com - but there is also a link in there to the official website which shows events all around the world.

Frankly for me every week is sherry week but I guess for many this will mean greater access to these fascinating wines. I certainly hope so.

I’m with you. Every week is sherry week even if it is only dessert with PX.

Well said that man! Or PX as a dessert, if necessary

Wish I was going to be home this week. I am dying for a good glass (or three) of Sherry.

or a half case! When you say home do you mean Madrid?

No, Connecticut, but I have a small stash of nice bottles.

Any idea how a 1918 Lustau sherry might drink?

I think I need to open something delicious tomorrow with my friends to kick off Sherry week. Sherry week seems to be bypassing Toronto this year, but last year I went to a showing of the film Sherry & The Mystery of Palo Cortado followed by dinner at a great restaurant here (Bar Isabel) where I was seated with the export director of Bodegas Tradicion. We had a 5-6 course tasting menu and about 8-9 different sherries from various producers. It was a great night.

Lorenzo Garcia-Iglesias Soto, I assume? He is, indeed, a fun dinner seat mate. I also had the pleasure of dining with him this past September, during a small Bodegas Tradicion dinner in Manila. We made plans for a round of golf and dinner next he is in town.

Lorenzo giving the opening remarks (below). That’s me in the right side of the photo.
image.jpeg

Great to see Lorenzo travelling the world! We had a great tasting with him this week - the highlight of the week for me in fact. He is indeed a good lad to share a table with and the wines aren’t bad eithr. Their efforts to create a new fino solera over the last few years gave us a really interesting tasting on Monday night - my full note is here - Bodegas Tradición: 11 wines, 7 sacas, and 45 years | undertheflor.com

As for the 1918 Lustau, I bet that would be pretty awesome! Any other details of the bottle?

Good friend in the UK just organized a Sherry tasting with Fish and Chips. A terrific read, will post it.

Here you go, a smashing good read>

That is a cracking effort indeed - top class.

I`m in! El Maestro Sierra Fino ready to go.

No, it was Eduardo Davis, the Export Area Manager. I haven’t met Lorenzo, unfortunately, although he helped make arrangements at the bodega for me (with Sabrina and Ulrike) through the importer here.

I’ve had some decent sherry this week:

Bodegas Tradicion Fino (May 2015 Saca)
Valdespino Fino Inocente
El Maestro Sierra VORS Extra Viejo Oloroso 1/14
Lustau Almacenista Oloroso Pata del Gallina 1/38 Jarana (less thrilled with this one)

I have a bit more of the El Maestro Sierra Oloroso 1/14 to enjoy. What a stunner.

Hmm, have been wanting to pop my La Gitana en rama… maybe this weekend :slight_smile:

Only modestly exotic, but we found this really tasty with lobster lemon pasta:

NV Equipo Navazos La Bota de Manzanilla Nº 16

That is a pretty decent sherry week alright! The May 2015 saca is my personal favourite of the Tradicion finos but they are still jumping around a bit as the solera takes shape. Makes it pretty interesting to try them all. Surprised you didn’t like the Pata de Gallina - one of my favourites.

SteveG - That Manzanilla no 16 is an absolute belter - have only had a sip but I agree with your note fully. Compact flavour, brilliantly vertical.

Ironically for me sherryweek coincided with a lot of work, but I still necked out once in a while and was able to try a couple of interesting things: Don Zoilo Very Old Dry Sherry  | undertheflor.com

And the Maestro Sierra you speak of is indeed a monster. I have a bottle on the go for the last few months in case I need an emergency sip