TN: 2014 Kutch Chardonnay (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

So here’s my review. Yes, I did like it but the unripe apple note does worry me. For those that have tasted this, what say you?

• 2014 Kutch Chardonnay - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (10/26/2016)
    This was opened a day after receiving my shipment. Very pale color. On the nose it’s reminiscent of premier cru St. Aubin with aromas of mineral, citrus and creme chantilly. On the palate it has a lithe body of mineral, citrus, lemon, green apple, unripe green apple and vanilla. It’s crisp and zingy, tasty and great with food. The unripe green apple does detract a little and makes it hard to gauge its aging capability. I really can’t tell if the other elements will flesh out or if it will collapse in a sour mess. But for now it’s Very Good to Excellent. (89 pts.)

I too cracked one of these a few days after it arrived. I more or less agree with your note, although “flesh out” seems far more likely than “collapse into a sour mess.”

One thing I will echo is the Burgundian nature of the nose. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever had a CA chardonnay that would serve as a better ringer aromatically for white Burgundy. Right down to the sulfur element when first opened.

I like your view, John. I’m counting on your view. [cheers.gif]

Thx for the preview, will wait until summer '17 to open bottle # 1.

Thanks, guys. I twitched when these came in, but laid down until the urge passed. I think they should sit for 6-12 months based on some comments on C Tracker.

Intriguing notes. My review is in CT, seems ancient now as several of you hard chargers are not wasting any time getting these open and notes posted. Thanks for expanding the perspective and posting what you think.

I got a handful of these in my recent shipment. I’ll get one open this month, then refresh the thread here. One thing for sure, Jamie has gotta feel good about the CT metrics. For a first time chard, he’s got 124 users on this wine. That says a lot about interest, support, or both.