Po-Bay-Guh!

Do you Pobega a few bottles each delivery season?

• Hell yeah, I even share a glass with the driver.
  • Sometimes if I buy several.
  • No, I believe in travel shock.
  • I will drink no wine before it’s time.
  • I only buy wine. I never open it. At least that’s what it looks like in my cellar.
  • Brett Favre
  • Brett who?

0 voters

''Tis the season, with all the Fall shipments arriving, to do some taste testing right off the UPS truck.

Tonight I bust into the Turley Old Vines. You?
IMG_4475.JPG

I live in the great state of Louisiana.

The chances of receiving a sound bottle of wine in the appropriate “shipping weather window” are already against me. The only thing I can do to serve the winemaker(s), my palate, and those of my guests’, is to allow a car sick bottle to rest for a couple of weeks before popping the cork.
download.jpg

This week I got closer to a Pobega experience, than I have for many years. Wine bought Saturday afternoon, opened Sunday evening. However as it was a 2001 vintage Gigondas, I think my Pobega credentials are somewhat weak.

Normally it’s very rare for me to open a wine in the same calendar year that I bought it in.

Last week I Pobegaed a Kutch SCM Chardonnay. But usually it’s hands off.

Much respect to Brian and to Pmenkes for not sticking some superfluous apostrophe into the term.

Just got a case of 2014 JJ Girard SLB Blanc from UPS (Ice Pack Special) and couldn’t help Pobega-ing a bottle during the World Series.

Delicious bottle, my kind of BB, chard deliciousness and improved with air. Glad to know I have 11 left!

Exciting Cubs finish! champagne.gif

Just exited the bathroom when I read this and told my wife I am a ‘movement’. She said she has known that for years. :slight_smile:

flirtysmile flirtysmile

I’m thinking about doing the same thing (although I guess a week later it’s not really Pobegaed). What were your early impressions on the Kutch Chard?

I’ll put it this way … the '14 Turley Old Vines is really tasty.

Yeah, first sip was a little hot but that blew off quickly.

What I usually do when I have the Pobega impulse is to grab an older bottle from that producer. I looked last night at my Sandlers that just arrived, then realized why open a 2015 Sandler when I could open a 2013 instead.

2013 Sandler Boer Vineyard Pinot rocked last night, by the way, especially starting an hour or so after opening.

I’m not really one to say whether “travel shock” is actually a thing, but I’ve had at least a few bottles that I Pobegaed taste kind of crappy or off when compared to a sibling that had a month or two to sleep it off. Could just as easily have been bottle variation, but I’m kind of doing a vinous Pascal’s Wager these days: I live my life as if travel shock is a thing and don’t risk it often anymore, there’s always something I’ve had kicking around the cellar for a while that I can drink instead, usually using Chris’ method above.

It’s a good practice with new releases, because they’re usually just too young. The mistake with believing in travel shock is failing to take good wines with you when you travel. Don’t let the theory of travel shock keep you from doing that.

I was in the office elevator today, and the video screen ran some ad that spelled zapped as zap’d. Horrific.

I regularly drink young bottles just arrived at the door… 'cepting Champagne.

Actually I am Pobegaing a Champagne right now. JJB and K&L arrived, so I had lots to choose from. Started with NV Jacquart Brut Mosaique. Pretty nice, round bruised yellow fruit, overall a pretty good value. Its the start of a long weekend to celebrate my daughter’s one year birthday. Plenty more bubbs to come!

:slight_smile: Kudos to Ian for neatly avoiding the term!

Well…
I loved the light and lean body, the classic melding of citrus, green apple and mineral and the deft use of oak. At the same time there was also a flavor that bugged me that I can only describe as unripe green apple. I have no idea how this will age. I’ll post a note so we don’t hijack the thread.

Great advice, I have taken older world class bottles as far as china, and they have done super terrific.