Casual notes on some 40 year old wines

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Scott G r u n e r
Posts: 3443
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 9:03 pm
Location: Seattleish

Casual notes on some 40 year old wines

#1 Post by Scott G r u n e r » October 31st, 2016, 11:39 am

Due to a series of unfortunate events, we finally got around to celebrating my wife's 40th birthday this weekend- I had procured a thumb-less handful of 1975 wines to celebrate the occasion (or potentially to symbolize how over the hill I feel these days). Served to a group of 10 with an excellentB (if I do say so myself) homemade classic Osso Buco and Risotto. No idea on the storage conditions prior to about two years ago.

1975 Clerc-Milon- Cork pretty soaked, broke mid-way out and had to scramble to find the ah-so. Ultimately got it out with only one small bit hitting the juice below. Unfortunately the wine was pretty tired though. Pretty dried out with some bit of tobacco and leather.

1975 BV Private Reserve Georges de Latour- Went straight to the ah-so and was able to get all in one piece. champagne.gif Still a bit of life left and enjoyable, but had a real prominent brown sugar finish to it. Group's second favorite of the old reds.

1975 Montrose Another fully soaked cork. But this one had much much more going on. Classic aged bordeaux, if a bit on the funkier side. Tobacco, leather, a bit of barn musk, a touch of dark currant. decent length finish. By far the group's favorite of the old reds.

1975 Rieussec Served with a savory apple cake. Light nutty brown in color- This was good. Hints of apricot, and a bit of that shower curtain on the nose. Barely sweet and fairly long, finished slightly clipped with a hint of a metallic note. Very pleasant overall.

We did also have a few other reds worth mentioning...

1999 Produttori del Barbaresco Rabaja- Damn lovely wine with tons of time left.

2003 Karl Lawrence Cab from magnum. This is what I want Napa cab to be. Big but restrained- Definitely cabernet, definitely california, but every sip interesting and finishing with a juicy dark cherry acidity that just left you wanting more.
//Cynic

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14045
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Casual notes on some 40 year old wines

#2 Post by Jay Miller » October 31st, 2016, 11:42 am

Scott G r u n e r wrote: 2003 Karl Lawrence Cab from magnum. This is what I want Napa cab to be. Big but restrained- Definitely cabernet, definitely california, but every sip interesting and finishing with a juicy dark cherry acidity that just left you wanting more.
I opened one of these at the last Berserkerfest and agree totally with your assessment.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5043
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 5:00 pm
Location: Cranford NJ

Casual notes on some 40 year old wines

#3 Post by cjsavino » October 31st, 2016, 11:46 am

Jay Miller wrote:
Scott G r u n e r wrote: 2003 Karl Lawrence Cab from magnum. This is what I want Napa cab to be. Big but restrained- Definitely cabernet, definitely california, but every sip interesting and finishing with a juicy dark cherry acidity that just left you wanting more.
I opened one of these at the last Berserkerfest and agree totally with your assessment.
Opened a 1998 KL on Saturday night, very nice wine.
Chris
Image

User avatar
Jeff Johannsmeyer
Posts: 212
Joined: November 10th, 2011, 11:59 am
Location: Wichita, KS

Casual notes on some 40 year old wines

#4 Post by Jeff Johannsmeyer » October 31st, 2016, 11:59 am

Scott G r u n e r wrote:Due to a series of unfortunate events, we finally got around to celebrating my wife's 40th birthday this weekend- I had procured a thumb-less handful of 1975 wines to celebrate the occasion (or potentially to symbolize how over the hill I feel these days).
Curious about your decision to select 1975 wines for someone born in 1976. I assume the intent was that these grapes harvested in '75 became wine in '76? Or was the series of unfortunate events you mentioned significant enough to delay the celebration an entire year? Upon rereading, the latter seems more likely...

This year is both my and my wife's 40th, with hers still to come. Having a plausible reason to add '75 to the mix of birth year wines does open up the options a bit more.

User avatar
Scott G r u n e r
Posts: 3443
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 9:03 pm
Location: Seattleish

Casual notes on some 40 year old wines

#5 Post by Scott G r u n e r » October 31st, 2016, 12:21 pm

Jeff Johannsmeyer wrote:
Scott G r u n e r wrote:Due to a series of unfortunate events, we finally got around to celebrating my wife's 40th birthday this weekend- I had procured a thumb-less handful of 1975 wines to celebrate the occasion (or potentially to symbolize how over the hill I feel these days).
Curious about your decision to select 1975 wines for someone born in 1976. I assume the intent was that these grapes harvested in '75 became wine in '76? Or was the series of unfortunate events you mentioned significant enough to delay the celebration an entire year? Upon rereading, the latter seems more likely...

This year is both my and my wife's 40th, with hers still to come. Having a plausible reason to add '75 to the mix of birth year wines does open up the options a bit more.

Yep, the latter is correct. My wife was born in 1975. This was a fair bit more belated than perhaps I alluded. [head-bang.gif]
//Cynic

User avatar
Scott G r u n e r
Posts: 3443
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 9:03 pm
Location: Seattleish

Casual notes on some 40 year old wines

#6 Post by Scott G r u n e r » October 31st, 2016, 12:49 pm

One thing I forgot to add. Pretty sure there will be a Durand under the christmas tree this year. I don't drink 40+ year old wines often, but when I do, I'd like to have a Durand.
//Cynic

User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18775
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Coos Bay, OR

Casual notes on some 40 year old wines

#7 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » October 31st, 2016, 1:14 pm

The 75 GdL BV can be terrific still if you find bottles with good provenance. 80-90% of the 1974 or 76 quality-wise at well less than half the price.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

User avatar
Wade H
Posts: 130
Joined: December 29th, 2015, 4:43 pm

Casual notes on some 40 year old wines

#8 Post by Wade H » October 31st, 2016, 9:51 pm

The '75 BV Georges de Latour may well have been the best wine I drank last year. I would argue that the bottle I had was significantly better than any of the 74's BV GdL I have had, which tended to the porty side. But then again my 74's may have had some provenance issues themselves.

Given Glenn's and my experience your bottle may have had some less than ideal storage conditions or a less than ideal cork.
Wade H0$tl3r

User avatar
Scott G r u n e r
Posts: 3443
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 9:03 pm
Location: Seattleish

Casual notes on some 40 year old wines

#9 Post by Scott G r u n e r » November 1st, 2016, 12:38 pm

Wade H wrote: Given Glenn's and my experience your bottle may have had some less than ideal storage conditions or a less than ideal cork.
Or both! Or the Montrose was just better? Could be any or all of the above. :)
//Cynic

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”